Hiatal Hernia Showed Up

louisamay
on 4/25/12 4:44 am
VSG on 04/27/12
The Upper GI showed a hiatal hernia and now that I know about it, I am hyper-aware of every twinge.

I know others have had theirs repaired at the same time.  When the doc called me, he said there would be no problem repairing it, it would change how he went about things but I could still have the sleeve, and everything felt fine.

Now I am wondering what questions I should have (or still should) ask? 

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Mom4Jazz
on 4/25/12 4:54 am
I dunno, but mine was repaired and all went well. Made surgery a teeny bit longer, but didn't slow down recuperation at all (I had an easy recovery).

I guess I'm odd. He said, "You have a hiatal hernia. We'll need to fix that during surgery." Then showed me the GI report. I nodded and that was the discussion. I guess I was too fixated on what I was going to have to do post-op that I didn't give it the importance it deserved.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

louisamay
on 4/25/12 4:59 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Okay, I just need to chill.  Twice recently I've been fine "in the moment" and then later fixated on the way something was worded, and began to wonder, "What did he really mean? Is he telling me everything?"  The first time that happened was nothing. I'm sure this is, too.

Thanks for the encouragement!

ThinLizzy
on 4/25/12 6:43 am - Benicia, CA
Very, very common to have a hiatal hernia. The reason they fix it as part of the vsg surgery is that the way the fix is done is by wrapping some of your stomach around the junction b/n the esophagus and the stomach to strengthen the valve. Once you've had the vsg, obviously, that can no longer be done since there's not enough stomach left. My hiatal hernia was missed at the time of surgery or developed afterwards, and I just had my 2nd surgery to try to fix it a more non-standard way. So be really happy they found it--it will also help with the GERD...

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

louisamay
on 4/25/12 6:50 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Thank you for this information.  It's very helpful.  I've had various reflux issues, occasionally severe, but never suspected this.  I'm glad I didn't.  Finding out just in time to get it fixed is a good thing.

RubyTues
on 4/25/12 6:51 am - Canada
See this is why I get upset when I think about my hernia.. I read on here beforehand how so many got theirs repaired at the time of their surgery and even my family doc said no worries the surgeon would take care of it. but when I inquired he said no he won't be fixing it.. that it may go away on it's own after I lose weight.. I was like oh ok. But now I wonder and I will be pissed if I have to go under the knife yet again in the future for it.

ThinLizzy
on 4/25/12 7:52 am - Benicia, CA
  If you can, I would really push your surgeon on this. If it doesn't go away, it's no longer an easy fix post surgery. 

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

bsporel
on 4/25/12 8:07 am
I just had my surgery yesterday and today when they released me my Doc. told me he corrected a hiatal hernia. I didn't even know I had it, but they fixed while in surgery. I feel great and I'm at home.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views