Cycling victory and question

teacher071
on 4/28/12 11:41 pm - TX
 I survived the 36K ride yesterday on my bike. And today I am down another lb, almost two, for a total of 44 gone.

Here is the problem. I think I could ride longer if I could carbo load more and get my energy up somehow. I tried eating spaghetti and lots of carbs the day before the ride. How am I going to do that ?  I could barely eat any spaghetti.

Anyone else run into this? help! I want to ride longer distances.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.     
HW:331  SW: 319   CW: 262  GW: 170 (or less...we'll see)
justmest
on 4/29/12 12:21 am - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
 I used to ride long distances, 75-100k. I actually didn't need to carb load.  If you have a rack on your bike it's great for tools, extra water, Gatorade, and  a few small snacks like protein bars.

I say this from experienc before surgery.  I haven't had mine yet but am scheduled in may. Maybe things will change after. 
Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

califsleevin
on 4/29/12 1:30 am - CA
How long does 36k take to ride - an hour to hour and a half? Two hours?

The topic of carb loading is somewhat controversial, as to whether one can really supersaturate the glycogen in ones' system to any usable degree, but it certainly is useful to make sure that ones' glycogen stocks are as high as they normally would be. The advice I get from some athletically inclined MDs is that one should at least maintain a healthy balanced diet the week before (healthy and balanced for a normal athletically inclined person, not the ketosis crazed low carbers typical of these boards,) or at least as balanced as is possible within our protein and volume limitations. This may mean being somewhat on the carb heavy side of normally balanced - good fruits, veg and whole grains to the extent possible.

I was typically running in the 100g +/-20g carb per day range thru my loss period, and found (thru advice from my RD,) that a snack that was moderately high in complex carb and moderate in fat and protein an hour or so before a workout was useful in extending my endurance beyond the one hour mark. A slice of whole grain bread with a slice of meat and cheese toasted on it worked well for me; these days, peanut butter on whole grain fits that profile and works well for me as well. Justmest's suggestion of taking something along for a recharge is good as well - sports drinks for the electrolytes and something with some simple carb for quick response, protein bar possibly. Most of the events that I do are shorter in duration, but multiples during the day (think of 3,4 or 5 5k runs in a day,) so I have time for recharging between events without hitting a serious wall as can happen in the longer endurance events.

There is an exercise and fitness forum here on OH that you can check in on, and on the Vertical Sleeve Talk boards there is a fitness forum where there are several distance runners resident that discuss these issues, so you can check those boards out as well.

Good luck, and isn't it nice that we can do these things now?

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

jessicae
on 4/29/12 2:21 am
 i would say just stick with energy bars or clif shots.  i love stinger waffles!  

Jessica              Surgery Date 9/29/11 Dr. Ian Soriano Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA          HW: 287 / Pre-Op: 280 / SW: 263.4 / CW: 161.6 GW: 145

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 78 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views