Questions for the Vets - Goal?

rhearob
on 5/3/12 1:50 am - TN
I had my 6 month check-up today.  Everything was excellent.  We got to the discussion of a goal weight.  Pretty much everybody agrees that the insurance chart goal of 171 is ridiculous for someone of my stature.  I am 6'2 and a medium large frame.

My surgeon stated that he thought someone with my build could handle 200.  Thats great, goal just moved up 29 lbs right?  I mentioned that I really wanted something at 195 or below, because I want the "Normal" BMI.  I was actually thinking like 185.

Heres my question - How have you guys really gone about setting your goal weight?  At 343 it was never really an issue for me, but now that I am closer - what should my goal be.  I know its about where you are healthy and comfortable, but remember its me, im a numbers driven guy.

I am also questioning my own motives here - I trusted this man to open me up and remove most of my stomach.  I have followed his guidance faithfully with terrific results for 6 months.  Why should I question him now?  Am I taking something healthy to an unhealthy place?  Is my pendulum swinging too far the other direction now - have I become obsessed with my weight loss?  Am I just overthinking everything?

Input is appreciated.  Ruggie, Frisco, Elina, Vy, other, let me have it.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

smbergie200
on 5/3/12 1:52 am - Naples, FL
I have the same problem - Im 6'1" and am a large framed big boned man. I based my goal weight on what I was in highschool. I might never get there but its still fun. Yeah the charts make me overweight now.

Plastics - Extended Tummy Tuck - February 6th 2013

Otterwench
on 5/3/12 2:04 am - Camano Island, WA
I went with a goal that was about 10 pounds lower than it needed to be to allow for a little regain, in case it happens.  I wanted to have a little wiggle room without having to go right back on a strict regime for maintenance.  I know a few pounds may come back on, but I figured that a 10 pound cushion would be enough.  Will re-think it as I get closer.  I'm still 39 pounds from goal weight, but closing in on it!  Yippee!  
I certainly understand your numbers obsession.  Whatever you decide, it's YOUR body, and it should be wherever you feel happy and healthy and comfortable!  Congrats on your progress so far....keep on keeping on!

~Sandi 

~Sandi

HW:  275   Initial Weight:  264  SW: 245  CW: 138  GW:  140
Pre-op:  -19  Mo 1:  -21  Mo 2:  -8  Mo 3:  -11  Mo 4: -7 so  Mo 5: -8  Mo 6:  -10   Mo 7:  -9  Mo 8:  -8   Mo 9:  -7  Mo 10: -10  Mo 11: -2  Mo 12: -6 so far

INgirl
on 5/3/12 2:06 am
Not really a vet here, but I plan on a mid-low BMI range, based on my BF left to go. I will get a bodycomp to help me dial it in, as I am already within "normal" ranges but still def have some fat to lose.. Let your eyes be your guide, and use the tools available to you- BodPod or preferably a dunk tank if you are lucky to have one nearby..

"Goal" is such a floating number.. I set mine at the lowest I ever got as an adult, that was just inside "normal".. got to it, and realized, OK, I got some more to go! So next goal, 10lbs lower.. after that? At this point the scale is next to useless (freaky, yes for a numbers person!) as things shift, but the pounds stay similar.. or go up.. but measurements go down.. BF% would be a much MUCH more useful number to know..

tripmom02
on 5/3/12 2:08 am - NJ
 Here is the beautiful thing about goal, it does NOT have to be one set number! My original goal was 180 b/c that was the lowest I had ever been in my adult life and was comfortable. I got there and decided that it wasn't low enough, so I changed it to 170 and again got there and it wasn't low enough for me and I so I set my sights on 155. 

I now hang easily between 153 and 155 and while I would not hate getting to 150, I think I could comfortably live at these numbers for the rest of my life and so I can now say I have hit "my" goal. 

Shoot for your doctors goal, when you get there if you don't like it and feel like you have more to lose then go for it. Nobody, even a surgeon *****moved most of your stomach can know what it's like to live in YOUR skin, you have to make you happy.

Courtney - Lap band to VSG revision

rhearob
on 5/3/12 2:33 am - TN
 Thats true.  I have seen many people on here do that many times.  I knew 171 was never going to happen.  I just want to be sure not to short change myslef by settling for something too high.  I already have considerable loose skin, so it can be kind of difficult to see how my body really looks.

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/12 2:12 am
The way I see this thing is that goal weight is a moving target.  My doctor routinely chooses very low BMI goal weight for most of his patients.  His thinking is that many will experience bounce back in the first five years and it's a good thing to have a little cushion for this bounce.  He set my goal at 110 lbs, which is quite low, but I continued to lose all the way to 101 lbs. and have bounced back to about 105 and have been maintaining there for about 2.5 years.

I think it makes sense for you to judge your goal by more than just your weight.  As you get closer to 200 lbs., I think you should schedule a body composition test.  Some man have more muscle mass than others.  I would choose a goal based more on having a lean body rather than an arbitrary weight.  Look into what numbers you should shoot for on the body composition test and use that to set your goal.  Once you achieve the hoped for muscle mass vs. fat ratio, call that your new weight goal.  That's what I would do in your place.

By the way, even though my weight is really low, my muscle to fat ration is great.  That is what I was aiming at all along.
Marabell
on 5/3/12 2:30 am
VSG on 06/07/12
HIJACK...

Elina...I have to tell you that I just LOVE YOU!!
Your answers are always straight to the heart of the matter...pragmatic yet still considerate. Your support and willingness to share your experience and observations is indispensable.

Thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 5/3/12 2:39 am
You have absolutely made my day.  Thank you for your kind words. 
rhearob
on 5/3/12 2:30 am - TN
 You've mentioned that a few times and I forgot about it.  Thanks for repeating - that makes a lot of sense.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 126 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 359 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 405 views