What to do...what to do

aleach0003
on 5/3/12 1:05 am - Beaver Dam, KY
VSG on 07/18/12
I received notification that the surgeon's office had sent off my required documentation to the insurance company on Friday.  I understand that the insurance company has 30 days to give a response.  However, I was talking to someone from my insurance company today regarding another issue and just asked if she could see my paperwork since it had been faxed.

The representative told me that there wasn't any sign of it.  Understandably, the surgeon's office could have faxed it to the wrong office since Anthem is a third party administrator for my employer. She gave me a number to give to the surgeons office and told me to tell them to refax the info.

I feel like an ass for calling the surgeons office and basically telling them they didn't do their job correctly when my paperwork may actually be at the right place.  I mean, they do this every day for a living.  Then again, I don't want to wait unnecessarily.

The will of God will never take you where the grace of God cannot protect you.

Barbara W.
on 5/3/12 1:27 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
You definately would not be an ass for calling and following up.  It has been
my experience that you are the only one who can make it happen.  Never
trust anyone else, especially in the medical profession, to do their job all
the time.  I would not finally have my surgeons appointment if I had not made
the effort to call.  I started this process the end of September 2011. When I realized
there were so many people wanting this surgery that I could easily slip through
the cracks I kept on top of appointments.  I was put on a back burner
and forgotten about.  You really have to push sometimes.  Good luck to you. 

erikalea1970
on 5/3/12 1:35 am - NJ
VSG on 06/11/12
I personally don't think it is being disrespectful or annoying to follow up on your own medical situation, and I thankfully feel like I have a good enough relationship with the staff at my surgeon's office that a suggestion like this wouldn't be taken the wrong way. But if you aren't sure about how it would be received (let's face it, some people get ruffled by the wrong things, and even if they are wrong to be that way we still have to deal with the fallout) then you can always tell them that the insurance representative specifically told you to follow up with the new information. Totally blame it on her, and if they get ruffled, you can sympathize with them having to deal with the insurance companies.
Marabell
on 5/3/12 1:47 am
VSG on 06/07/12
the exact same thing happened to me..and I called...happened again...and I called...three times I went thru this until it was finally confirmed by the insurance co.

If you dont take charge of your medical and health issues...no one will. Whenever I am faced with a similiar situation...I say to myself...better them mad than me!

Mom4Jazz
on 5/3/12 1:48 am, edited 5/3/12 1:48 am
I had the exact same thing happen...and just coincidentally the insurance company was Anthem for me as well. So it might not be your surgeon's office.

That said, unless the insurance company realizes they have your stuff it's just the same as if they don't have your stuff. So a good strategy might be to say the insurance company tells you they haven't received it and could someone from the surgeon's office get with them to get it cleared up.

By the way - once they had the paperwork in the right person's hands, I had a decision in days.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

anewbeginning2012
on 5/3/12 2:27 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
 I work at a doctors office and I would do the exact same thing you did. Sometimes we are dealing with so many phone calls, faxes, etc...somethings get left undone and a phone reminder does the trick. Sometimes the faxes don't go through, busy lines, or whatever. It is not rude at all- unless your manners are rude of course.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views