Snacks - Would love yur opinion.

SoSoHappy
on 5/14/12 3:57 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12
Has anyone tried the protein fortified snacks sold on bariatricchoice.com?  They have things that look kind of like chips that can be carried in a car for those emergency situations.  I was just wondering if they are a good or bad option.  If you do use these products, please let me know when you started them. 

rhearob
on 5/14/12 4:20 am - TN
 Snacks...

Lots of opinions.  Lots of program options.  I am kind of liberal on this given some conditions:

1.  You are eating to abate actual, physical hunger
2.  Before you eat the snack you have done your mental work to make sure that you are not feeding head hunger or some other behavoiral issue
3.  Nothings free - by eating the snack you DO NOT exceed your calorie goal or undershoot your protein goal

I have snacked on occassion, even though my program specifically recommends against it.  Sometimes, I have just been hungry so I will have something like a cheese stick or a SF popsicle. 

When I do those go in my food diary.  I make sure I do not miss my targets for the day.  

I also seperate snacking from cheating.  I have cheated too.  I define cheating as eating things I know I shouldn't by giving into either a craving or compulsion to eat.  So with the three rules above, cheating breask 1 and 2.  Nothing ever breaks three - if it goes in my mouth it goes in my journal.

By always taking a close look at my behavoir when I eat I have been able to learn things about myself and change my behavoir.  I didn't fail by cheating, I turned a bad choice into a positive experience by being willing to honestly explore why I ate.  

To the othe rpoint of your question, I have never looked at the prepackaged snacks on the various web sites.  If I need a snack, there are plenty of things I can make at home or simple pre-packaged items I can buy like a cheese stick, or SF popsicles.  Theres no point really in ordering something special.  To me that would just drive a mental snacking process that would lead me to grazing.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

bigmama3
on 5/14/12 4:40 am

I agree.  I do not snack; if I get "hungry"--which is usually head hunger, is rare, and occurs when I'm bored and at home--i eat very dense protein ****ep chicken, steak, etc.) on hand at all times. 

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

SoSoHappy
on 5/14/12 5:14 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12
What do you do when you are out all day and dense protein is not there?  Do you keep anything in the car for those hungry snack moments?
favrow812
on 5/14/12 6:43 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
Beef jerky is my go-to if I have a day full of errands to run and I know I wont be home all day!

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

bigmama3
on 5/15/12 1:06 am

I agree--beef jerky.  OR...I stop at QuickChek or 7-11 and get a greek yogurt, which is packed with protein and keeps me full all day long.

CW - 125 (20 lbs. below goal)

SoSoHappy
on 5/14/12 5:12 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12
WOW - thanks for the great advice.  Right now, I am told I need to get my calories and protein up so I looked to the site to provide some higher protein items.  I thought to use one as one of my 2 daily snacks.  I am told to eat 3 meals and 2 snacks.  I am fighting to get in calories and protein right now.  The shakes are killing me.  I posed the question because some of the snacks look like they may become slider foods and therefore trigger more than 1 servings.  I don't know if that is a real possibility.  Again, thanks a million for taking the time to share some of your experience.

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 4:38 am
The truth is that I did eat some of these pre-packaged snacks, like Kays naturals.  Looking back at it, this was not my finest decision.  If you look at the percentage of the calories in these snacks that come from protein vs. the calories that come from carbs, the equation is not good.  Take the number of protein grams and multiply it by four and then see what percentage this is of the calories in a serving.  If it is less than about 80% of the calories, than this is really not a good food for you during the losing phase.  Also, this presupposes that all the protein is fully bio-available to you and that is not always the case.  You are much better off having a cheese stick, or ten almonds, or home made low sodium jerky, an egg, etc.
SoSoHappy
on 5/14/12 5:16 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12

Not yet approved for red meat or almonds.  Looks like I will be sticking to cheese sticks.

Phatchick
on 5/14/12 4:58 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
I do not snack. I plan everything I eat each day along with when and how much water I drink. I do have a SF jello between lunch and breakfast one in a great while. I also might have a baby bella or string cheese between lunch and dinner. I keep this on hand just in case. I figure I have to adhere to the dense proteins if I want to be successful. Good Luck, Sharon

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 408 views