Hair Loss

chiefsgirl3
on 5/14/12 5:36 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
I know this has been a topic before, but how bad is the hair loss?  I also know it varies from person to person.  I only have about 80 pounds to lose, so I know my loss won't be as fast or drastic as others.  My hair has always been healthy, and I have a lot of it, but it's baby fine!  Any suggestions?

felicity2u
on 5/14/12 5:43 am - LA
There's really nothing you can do to prevent it and everyone seems to have different results. I take Biotin every day and when I started losing, I got some Bosley shampoo and conditioner from my hair dresser that helped alot. Like I tell everyone, I would rather be bald and skinny that fat and have great hair. You will do find, just start getting in the biotin, make sure you get lots of protein and find you a good shampoo, most hair dressers will know of some.

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

chiefsgirl3
on 5/14/12 5:58 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
 I just dont want to bald!!  I dont mond wearing it up until it grows back. Lol

rhearob
on 5/14/12 6:04 am - TN
 Would you rather not lose?  Its gonna happen - just like loose skin, just like some level of heart burm, or excessive burping.  There are things we go through as part of this experience.

Best thing to do, put on your grown up britches and ford through it.  The hair loss is not permanent. Keep your protein as high as you can, and maybe you can minimize it.

Other than that it is what it is.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Heyhay12
on 5/14/12 6:04 am - TX
I haven't had my surgery yet(next week!) but I have a couple friends who have and they told me to use Nioxin shampoo and conditioner.  I got it at Ulta but Im sure you can find it at any beauty supply place. I have fine hair too so I wanted to go ahead and start using something that wil help with hair maintanence. Nioxin is used by alot of people who go through chemo or have any other surgeries that cause hair loss.  Also use the supplement biotin. That's suppose to help alot too.
PrettyEyes_41
on 5/14/12 6:07 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
My Dr and nut said to start zinc to help minimize the loss. Don't know if it works because surgery is June 8th but I've started it already.

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Barbara W.
on 5/14/12 6:09 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
Hi,  My surgery is the 23rd too.  I also have fine hair and losing some
could be quite a disaster, but I plan to just go with it.  I even bought a
wig as a backup.  I used Nioxin before and it did work fairly well.  It is
expensive and I didn't care for the smell.  It was not appealing.  However,
if that is what I need to use temporarily I will.  I have also been taking
Biotin regularly.  I really can't see that it helps much, but I will try almost
anything.  Good Luck.

chiefsgirl3
on 5/14/12 6:11 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
 Thanks!!  I started on biotin already. And My big girl brithes are on. I am still going through with it. I will look into the zinc and nioxin. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mom78
on 5/14/12 6:42 am
VSG on 02/10/12
I'm right there with ya!  I'm a little over 3 months and it hasn't started yet.

It's a great question and it differs greatly for everyone.  Most people on here say it's like shedding, which I've done for the past 10 years anyways.

I just don't want bald!!! 
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

isabellarossellini
on 5/14/12 6:13 am
I started taking biotin right after surgery in hopes of not losing my hair.  well at 3/4 months out it really started to come out anyways.  not much you can do about it, but it really isn't that bad.  i try not to wash my hair everyday cause it comes out a lot when i wa****  now at 5 months its started to slow down.  i was really worried right after surgery about the loss, but it really wasnt that bad for me.  the biotin does make everything grow though.  my nails are growing super fast, the women at the nail salon were impressed.  it'll be fine, its scary in thought, and when it happens its just annoying.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 130 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 387 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 420 views