Starting Over

stephintexas
on 5/14/12 12:17 pm, edited 5/14/12 12:20 pm
I feel like a crack head that has to go through rehab over and over.

Thanks to the realistic and factual input here, I reset my menu. I went from 1200-1300 cals, 100 carbs, 100 protein to  today : 607 cals, 9 carbs and 99 protein. I am not gonna lie...first day was no walk in the park. I'm cranky and achey and foggy. I recognize the carb withdrawal. However, it's true, why spend the money and commit to this only to NOT put the work in? Yes part of me wanted to believe the sleeve was magic and like some, I could eat small portions of "anything I want" and sometimes exercise and be a svelte size 8 by the end of the summer. Clearly, no.

I did not work out today. Resetting my food plan was a drastic switch. I'm dragging and sleepy like the first week after surgery. However, I refuse to spend the money and the time doing this to just fizzle out like before. Tomorrow I will hit the gym. I will continue with this plan until I am 135. Then I'll worrry about what's next.

I have always scoffed at support groups. I've always thought those people were "weak." Helloo!!! *me waving* I'm someone that needed the support of this forum and another one I read/post at. It is not weak to need each other, it is human. Taking that comfort from other people has reduced the pressure to take it from food. I wish I'd have discovered this yeaaaars ago!

louisamay
on 5/14/12 12:19 pm
VSG on 04/27/12
Go, you!  You are going to make it happen, girl. Hang on tight. You'll get past this transition and then things will cruise!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

PoohHag
on 5/14/12 12:58 pm - TN
VSG on 06/11/12
 We truly are in rehab.

I've felt this way since the day I went to the seminar and signed up.  I fully expect to backslide sometimes and intend to make myself reread my pre-op notebook on a regular basis to keep myself honest.

Good for you in recognizing that you needed to step up.

rhearob
on 5/14/12 1:44 pm - TN
 Good job.  I always say the hardest work we do here is NOT the diet and exercise.  Its the head issues.  Once we start working on those the rest seems easy by comaprison.

I hope you find a good support group IRL.  Mine are invaluable to me.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Marabell
on 5/14/12 3:00 pm
VSG on 06/07/12
oh yeah...it is absolutely a process and having this forum is keeping me hanging in there...hearing your struggles and how you took a look at what you were doing, and making the changes necessary for your succes, gives me (pre-op) courage to face all the challenges that lie ahead...

frisco
on 5/14/12 3:24 pm
 Yah !!!

Congrats for getting a grip on things !!!

Kinda sorta not your fault.....Well... it is...just trying to make you feel better.

There are a few more here both pre-ops and newbs that are gonna fall into the same trap.......

They read about a few people that can lose the weight with a more liberal approach........

Spouting "I had this surgery so I could eat what I want....just less of it !"

Yah, it can work for some..... but not most. How lucky do you feel?????
We don't often hear from them after about 5-6-7 months...... a couple final crys for help......than gone.....never to be seen again....or maybe on the revisions board claiming the sleeve failed them........who failed who????

I am the King Rebel.....I get paid to not follow the path.....to think way outside the box...... you say go right..... unless I respect your judgment..... I'm goin left......

When it came to WL....... I wanted a clear path.... it was not up to me....at 350lbs. I clearly didn't have a clue.....

That's what cracks me up when I read about people MO or even SMO telling everyone they came up with this new way.......so they don't have to follow a "Cookie Cutter" plan. Good Luck With That!!!!!

Your looking at it properly now...... Lose the weight first...... While losing get educated......after you lose the weight and your in maintenance......that is the time to test tolerances !!!!

Stick with..... I promise you this will go down as your best move in the process !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

diane S.
on 5/14/12 4:24 pm
you know the secrets. you will succeed.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

KSqtpie
on 5/14/12 5:01 pm - Overland Park, KS
VSG on 07/09/12
Congrats on your restart! And thank you for having the courage to post this. I'm still preop, so it is great to hear all aspects of life with a sleeve...including the daily struggles to make good choices. If the sleeve was magic, it wouldn't be so difficult right? Good luck and stay positive! You'll be at goal in no time
Happy966
on 5/14/12 10:07 pm

I certainly feel like a crack head where food is concerned!!

Listen, you're going to do great.  This food plan is not the only way, but it is successful and relatively easy post-surgery (I want to say, don't try this at home - meaning 800 cal was not do-able for me pre-op).  By pushing protein and cutting carbs, I have lost 10 pounds in 2.5 weeks - at 8 months out.  

I keep coming here and posting because this is my last chance at living in a more normal-sized body.  I can't forget what I need to do, and this addiction (for me) will trick me into feeding it if I don't focus *every day* on staying on track.  Support is key for this - I need to hear it, and I need to testify!

The scariest thing for me is how easy it would be to return to my old ways of eating.  Maybe not in quantity (unless I paced myself and ate constantly), but in that addictive, driven manner.  I do not want to live like that.  I want peace of mind around food, and I don't want to devote more mental real estate to my food issues than necessary.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

momsy55
on 5/14/12 10:13 pm - ME
Kudos to you!!  It's not easy to look at yourself and what you're doing, honestly.  I think many of us are masters of denial, which got us to where we were prior to this journey.  Needing to switch gears and actually listen to the nagging voice saying "excuse me....this is what you're really doing" takes practice and time, and a true commitment to move forward.  How wonderful that you listened now, before things went too far!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 396 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 425 views