Eggs

bluemems
on 5/17/12 6:04 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
I just had surgery 2 weeks ago and am now on the soft food stage.  Can someone tell me why I would have to cook my egg whites runny and cannot scramble them?  I would think a scrambled egg would be easier to eat / chew / and digest than a soft piece of cheese, or even green beans.  I'm baffled and want my egg whites, but I will wait longer if I have to.
jarabacoagirl
on 5/17/12 6:06 am
VSG on 12/17/12
I haven't had surgery yet but I thought I read somewhere that any type of egg is good on the soft food diet.  Don't quote me on that though cause I don't remember where I read that.

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

bluemems
on 5/17/12 6:13 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
That's what I would think, but the doctor and the nutritionist that called me this week said "everybody thinks they can have scrambled eggs, but they have to be runny".  Love my doctor - he says "as long as you can throw it against the wall and it splats, it is safe to eat". 
bedazzle
on 5/17/12 6:16 am
VSG on 04/26/12
 I had surgery on 4/26 and am in the soft food stage. I eat egg whites with cheese all the time! My NUT says they were fine to eat.

loverofcats
on 5/17/12 6:26 am, edited 5/16/12 6:27 pm
Eggs are difficult for many people. It took me months to be able to eat a scrambled egg. I wish I would have tried egg whites, which might have been more tolerable, if they were a bit runny. Follow your program's advice. They are coming from a place of experience with many people.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

BiscuitNYC
on 5/17/12 7:26 am - NYC, NY
DS on 01/23/13
I have heard many people say they can't tolerate scrambled eggs post-op. My NUT also said she hears that a lot. That being said, that's really the only way I like them, and I did not have a problem. Nor do I like them particularly runny, either. Now, immediately post-op I was not always able to finish one egg, but that was the issue with all food I ate. Now 9 months out my go-to breakfast is a scrambled egg with some sausage crumbles or with some shredded cheese.
Jennifer H.
on 5/17/12 7:43 am - TX
VSG on 01/17/12
My NUT said that even though scrambled eggs were on the soft food portion of my diet, I might want to wait as they tend to sit heavy with some people. She said they wouldn't cause any harm unless eaten in excess(as with any food on a newly healing tummy), but that they might be quite uncomfortable. I nauseate easily so I waited on the eggs. It was suggested to poach them so they were soft enough to "tolerate". It's really a personal thing, I think. Some people have stomachs of steel and don't have trouble at all and others(like me) tend to feel food like lead in the tum. My only advice is to take it slow.

ND2BTHN
on 5/17/12 7:43 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Eggs can be hard to go down, and can make a stuck feeling if too dry. I was so excited to try my first scrambled egg on my mushy phase, but it felt like a ton of bricks in my stomach after just 2 bites. I couldn't even eat half the egg. I chose to wait it out another week and tried it again. It went down much better, but felt a bit queazy from it. Now I love my scrambled egg and cheese omeletes. I think it just takes time for some people. I like to add in a dash of vegetable oil to my scrambled eggs. It keeps them moist, and adds some lube for it to go down better. Good alternative to the runny egg.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
bluemems
on 5/17/12 7:44 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
Thanks everyone - I think I'll wait it out a couple of more weeks before I try it - better to be safe than sorry.
EliseG
on 5/17/12 8:23 am - MA
My NUT said eggs are fine, as long as they are soft, so no hard boiled or even soft boiled unless I'm going to make egg salad out of them. I still haven't tried eggs though, but I think I may try them at some point this week.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views