I want to eat everything in the kitchen!

stephintexas
on 5/19/12 4:47 am
OK so I admit to emotional eating. I'm working on it but BOY is it hard. I stopped social drinking and seem to haved picked up private eating at the exact same time. I haven't been under 195 since...until now. I have to fight the urge to clean out the ice cream the kids have in the freezer or knock out the cookies in the pantry. Oddly, I don't have the same urge to knock out a bag of raw broccoli or cauliflower. I am cognizant that this isn't related to the size of my stomach or my sleeve. This is all in my head. It starts in the head and manifests in the body. Once I give in and eat a bag of Oreos, I DO feel better for a few minutes then it's worse than before. It ends up taking more and more Oreos to feel better. Classic addiction cycle.

So I'm posting this and if you sit on your couch and fight the urge to kill the bag of Oreos, you're not the only one. It's really a mental switch that I have to flip that I willl NOT eat the junk food. Once I just decide no way Jose, then it does relieve the pressure a bit. The urge starts to fade and then goes away all together. The more often I just say no, the easier it gets. The more weight I lose, the easier it gets. The more I just face it, the easier it gets. The closer I get to a size 10, the easier it gets. The more I condition myself NOT to respond to the urge, the less it occurs. I imagine a life someday where the process is way shorter, way less intense and possibly gone all together.

bluemems
on 5/19/12 5:03 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
hollykim
on 5/19/12 6:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
maybe maoderation works for you,but I am like the OP/ Sugar,esp combines with fat and flour are like crack to me.

Some of us  have to work  an abstinance program because "one is too many and 1000 is not enough>"

You wouldn't tell an alcoholic or a crack addict that "denying themselves will keep them from having more would you?

Glad that approach works for you,but respectfully said,do be careful of giving the idea to ppl who have alreay confessed an addiction the "gree light" to go ahead.

Trust me,most of us who are addicts need very little to move on that desire and It is a struggle every single day,all day long.

melly37
on 5/19/12 7:04 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
 "LIKE"!

There are foods I just can't allow a bite of.  

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

stephintexas
on 5/19/12 5:25 am
I don't subscribe to the total deprivation idea BUT I know that some foods, if I try to 'eat just one' it triggers my beast and I get out of control.

For example a week or two back, maybe a little longer, they had chocolate cake for the afternoon snack during a meeting. I declined and explained that I was on a weight loss plan. They kept pressuring and one thin lady told me the same premise, that if she denied herself a bite, she'd overindulge later. I eventually caved and had "just one bite." Before I made the conscious choice, I had downed a whole piece and was licking my fingers and thinking of going back for more. For me, certain foods are my crack, I am incapable of moderation. Knowing what those foods is (chocolate cake, thin mints at the theater, chocolate chip cookies, cheezits, vanilla oreas etc) is a large part of my battle.

ruggie
on 5/19/12 7:36 am - Sacramento, CA
 Two things -

You've got to be strong and firm.  You cannot let a coworker pressure you into doing something you don't want - whether it's eating food or sleeping with some guy or whatever!  It doesn't matter if she can't deny herself and will overindulge later - it matters only what you will do.  So in these situations, I say "No thanks" and if pushed, simply change the subject.  

For your trigger foods, man, don't even let them in your house!  That's just setting yourself up for faliure.  If they're in your house, you have to make how many decisions a day to not eat them?  If I'm in the kitchen, and cooking, perhaps I see a bag of cookies twenty times - my eyeballs will glance at that bag twenty times.  So I have to decide correctly, twenty times in a row, to not eat them.  So I'm pretty good at saying "no" seventeen or eighteen times, but there's a few times I might say "yes" and scarf them and regret it.  Just don't even let them be in your house!  Some family member wants to snack on vanilla Oreos?  Tough!  Mom needs support, there's a thousand different snacks they can buy, and they can get snacks for them that's not a trigger food to help you out and support you.  

Good luck!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

dec721
on 5/19/12 9:10 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
Amen, Ruggie!  Kids don't *need* that stuff either.  They want it, sure, but if it isn't in the house and they get used to having healthier snacks, they will get over it.  Maybe a team effort to help mom get healthy would be a good idea.

Oh, don't listen to me; I don't have kids.... but they DO need to learn healthy eating :-)

--Dorothy

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

ruggie
on 5/19/12 12:42 pm - Sacramento, CA
I totally agree with you there Dorothy!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Pooch2
on 5/19/12 7:29 pm
On May 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM Pacific Time, stephintexas wrote:
I don't subscribe to the total deprivation idea BUT I know that some foods, if I try to 'eat just one' it triggers my beast and I get out of control.

For example a week or two back, maybe a little longer, they had chocolate cake for the afternoon snack during a meeting. I declined and explained that I was on a weight loss plan. They kept pressuring and one thin lady told me the same premise, that if she denied herself a bite, she'd overindulge later. I eventually caved and had "just one bite." Before I made the conscious choice, I had downed a whole piece and was licking my fingers and thinking of going back for more. For me, certain foods are my crack, I am incapable of moderation. Knowing what those foods is (chocolate cake, thin mints at the theater, chocolate chip cookies, cheezits, vanilla oreas etc) is a large part of my battle.
Next time tell this wench that you can be completely satisfied in having made a positive choice, by her taking YOUR bite For YOU.... tell her that **** works too!!!!

And as for you, its been my experience that three days of abstaining from all Carbs, makes my physical and mental hunger pangs, that the carbs cause in the first place....just go awaaaaayyyyy.   Give it a try, you can choose that rest that comes from, not having cravings and you don't have to call it deprivation.....  start thinking...REST... a safe place...sanctuary.... and shelter from the storm...
HW: 425    SW: 337   CW: 262 GW: 217 (surgeon)  
Pre-surgery loss; 88 lbs (mostly in my required 6 month insurance class)
nanarama
on 5/19/12 9:21 am - PA
VSG on 07/09/12
Boy, your story sure rings true here!  And what is it with those STUPID Oreos???  I absolutely gave in to them about 2 weeks ago.  They need to be outlawed .... and now!!

I am pre-op and doing pretty well getting my head together.  And I totally understand about what I call the sugar demon.  I have always found that if I decide to do a low-carb diet, I am very successful.  And then something happens and I open that door.  And then that door gets blown away and I lose all control.  Sugar is my main enemy. 

Right now I am in control .... and am completely determined to stay that way.  How many more times do I have to tell myself that "sure I can have that one _________ and still be okay" ??  I am sugar/flour free right now and plan on staying that way.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 136 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 395 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 424 views