Will I need a wheelchair on my flight home? 3 days post op

bethmalone
on 5/19/12 10:33 am
 I will be flying home from Mexico to Ohio at 3 days post op.  I will have my husband with me and as I made the reservations, I didn't request anything (as in a wheelchair)  I plan on letting everyone getting off the plane b4 me as I know I will be walking very slow, but how FAR can you walk at 3 days post op? Airports can be huge! I will be flying san diego, to st. paul to Ohio.  So, one  lay over.  It will be a very long day and I know it will most likey be the hardest part of the whole process.  How many of you had surgery far from home????  How was the trip?  I'm so scared of being sick on a plane all day......

louisamay
on 5/19/12 10:49 am
VSG on 04/27/12
You may not need it, but I'd request one anyway.  Better to be have it and take a ride than not have it and have problems.

Good luck!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

tall_not_venti
on 5/19/12 12:20 pm
VSG on 02/23/12
I had requested one, but did not needed or use it. It felt good to stretch my legs by then. I was okay, just tired when I got home, but pretty much back to regular activity level the day after. We walk around a lot in the hospital, you'll be aw amazed at how fast you'll be moving!
mauigirl2
on 5/19/12 2:17 pm - kihei, HI
I did the whole airport thing today and had a wheelchair all the way.  It made it the easiest for me.  I just asked for one when I got there.

Georgie Mayhem
on 5/19/12 5:36 pm - New Zealand
day 3 was the worst for me and I had a very easy time with recovery I dont feel that I would of felt up to flying out, so you better request one as you may need it, its better to have one on hand, as you can feel quite lightheaded during that first week

vinnymac
on 5/19/12 11:01 pm - Mobile, AL
Yes I would ask for one. day three was bad for me also I fly into houston and I wished I had asked for one my gate where along way from each other and by the time I had walked from one gate to the other I felt very weak and sick . Just ask for one if you don't need it don't use it.

Vinny Mac

Vinny Mac

rainyone
on 5/19/12 11:11 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/03/12
I had my surgery in Mexico on Tuesday evening. On Wednesday , just walking the halls. Thursday I was discharged and went shopping and a few walks in the area of the hotel. Friday we walked around San Diego quite a bit, doing some exploring.  Saturday morning we flew home and I didn't need a wheelchair. The denver airport was huge and our gates were far , but it felt good to walk.  Honestly I think it depends on how much time you have to make your connection and how well you walk now.

HW 295 lbs,CW 195, nuts goal-210, my goal 175 surgery date April 3 in Tijuana with Dr Ponce De Leon      

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 47 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 203 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 287 views