What are your rules???

MichelleChoinski
on 5/25/12 12:01 am - NY
I was just wondering what your calorie, carb and protein rules are to yourself.
I question this because since all the **** that happened in my life the past few weeks has really thrown me off track.  I am eating more carbs and have lowered my protein.  I have gained 4 pounds and am really upset with myself.
I want to get back on track.  I really do but since my nephew's death, I have resorted to eating.  I have also increased my eating.  Do you think I stretched my stomach out too much and have ruined my sleeve?

So, remind me of our "rules" and what has worked for you???

Thanks for listening......
Michelle

Mom4Jazz
on 5/25/12 12:11 am
What worked for me during loss:

less than 800 calories
less than 40 grams of carbs
more than 80 grams of protein (I actually did over 100)
more than 72 oz of liquids (I actually did over 100 here too)
move more every day, at least 1 hour of purposeful exercise 4+ days a week

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

debk21
on 5/25/12 12:41 am - Mansfield, TX
Ditto to Mom4Jazz...

600-800 Calories
70+ Protein
80+ Water
-40 Carbs

...and move your body every day.  I'm very sorry for your loss...you have not ruined your sleeve but you need to get back on track.  I really can't speak for your nephew, but I'm sure he would want you to be happy and healthy...

{{{Hugs}}}

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

emelar
on 5/25/12 1:21 am - TX
I only have two rules - protein first and no drinking after meals.  Everything else falls more under guidelines and what works for me.  Pick a calorie range and stick to it; move; get your fluids in.  No, you didn't break your sleeve!
SuzanneR
on 5/25/12 2:16 am - Randolph, NJ
I am so sorry for your loss. I am sending you hugs and love.

My rules are I eat 4-5 small protein based meals/snack a day. I eat low carb probably around 40 a day some days less some days a little more. I also usually don't have "food" snacks after dinner...more like a sugar free popsicle. I don't count calories but if I do I am getting around 800 a day...again some days less and some days more but I do frink around 70-80 ounces of water a day. I am currently not doing any exercising but that has to change.

I am only almost 5 months out but losing well.

SuzanneR
on 5/25/12 2:17 am - Randolph, NJ
p.s. I have not eaten any breads, crackers, pasta, rice since my procedure and no alcohol either.

DanaSue
on 5/25/12 8:14 am
How do you count carbs and calories when you just eat a tablespoon of something?  Or like tuna salad which may have egg in it or celery and mayo and you eat 1/4 cup?  Does everyone that counts these carbs and calories actually figure out how many each item you eat has, or do you guestimate?
Today they had a cook out at work. I ate about 1/4 grilled hot dog, about 1 Tablespoon cole slaw, 2 Tablespoons baked beans and 1/2 of a strawberry.   Now how do you count that?

VGS 4-02-12

emelar
on 5/25/12 8:19 am - TX
If I'm not at home where I can measure, I estimate.  Go to myfitnesspal.com, or one of the many other calorie trackers, and start keeping track.  Accept at the beginning that it's not going to be exactly right, but try to get it as close as possible.
Happy966
on 5/25/12 11:51 pm

Rules:  no recreational sugar, no carbonated soft drinks, weigh-measure-record everything I eat, 80 g protein/day minimum, no salty snack foods (except nuts, they don't count as snacks but as meal components).

Almost rules:  no wheat, rice, corn (like, hardly ever, less than an ounce once a week), carbs limited to dairy, vegetables, beans, occasional fruit (primarily blueberries, rasberries).

Guidelines: 800-ish calories, although often a little higher.  Carbs - 40 to 60 g.

My weight loss has been much better making sure I keep the carbs in the 40-60 g/day range and protein in the 80-100 g/day range, regardless of the actual total calories (I mean, within reason).

The bottom line for me is that it is more important to weigh-measure-record and stay away from the sugar than *anything* else.  Without exception.  My worst day if I do this much is better than my best day when I don't.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

AdeanaMarie
on 5/29/12 5:06 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Just following what the nutritionist told me to do at this point and it is working.

60-80 grams Protein per day
Under 900 calories (usually I am under 800)
No carb counting
Protein first at every meal. No sweet treats until all protein intake is done for the day and only if within calorie range.

I measure and write down everything.

Stop drinking 15 minutes before eating. Do not drink for 45 min - 1 hr after eating. No carbonated or calorie drinks.

Exercise: move daily, do something, walking, water fitness, power shopping, strength training (I need to work on this area a bit more)

I am also gluten free and do not eat any bread or pastry products, even gluten free ones, they are usually high in sugar.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views