Help! LDL levels high

Mermaid7
on 5/29/12 10:46 am
 Hello friends,
I was so surprised to see that my LDL levels otherwise known as "bad cholestrol" was 217, and they say it should be below 100.  I eat mostly protein right now, no grains, maybe a little fruit or veg if I can fit it in.  I know there is a lot of talk about cholestrol levels and what is healthy etc...but, I know my number for LDL is not good.  I am thinking dammit!  I seem to be doing everything right...what gives?
I'd love to hear from anyone who wants to share numbers and thoughts.
Thanks.

bunnymom
on 5/29/12 3:36 pm, edited 5/29/12 3:36 pm
I am in the same boat with high LDL's and it has been 14 months on low carbs and 6 months on no wheat/grain/gluten. I read that it is an artificial high as everything is equilibrating on such a low carb diet and the change to healthy eating. My other numbers are ridiculously good--all except my LDL. My A1C came crashing down too, which is also excellent. My trigylcerides are barely measureable. I wish I could give you a reference for it--maybe google it. But my only bad number is the LDL and again I would never let my PCP put me on a statin (the one indication for that is a high LDL) because I think this high reading is actually an indicator that the lipid levels are improving and "metabolic syndrome" is going away. I wish I could be more specific. My bariatric surgeon saw my levels and was very impressed with how good the numbers had become and was not concerned with the high LDL. Good luck to you!
Bunnymom            
iAndy4G
on 5/29/12 11:51 pm
VSG on 03/01/12 with
I have come to the conclusion that it's mostly hereditary and there is nothing I can do. I was close to 300 prior to surgery and I don't eat red meat (not saying i was on the best diet at all though)

Both my parents died in their 40's with heart problems and my grandparents were in their 50's. That's one of the reasons I had this surgery was to try to break the cycle and give me another tool to live a more healthy life.

My LDL's are still in the 200's AND i'm on 20mg of Lipitor each day. And I eat NOTHING but protein and 30 grams of carbs etc. I've lost 55 lbs since 3/1. I'm 6'1 200lbs now. My doctor thought she could take me off of the Lipitor by now but no dice :(
Lee ~
on 5/30/12 12:20 am - CA
There is hope!  I was on Zocor for high cholesterol prior to WLS.  I was a vegan for 9 years and it still kept going up.  Everyone in my family was/is in cholesterol meds.  I went off them the day of my VSG and have kept an eye on the numbers.  I asked my doc to test me this week to see if things were getting out of hand again.

I went in yesterday for bloodwork and about cried when I got back the results.  Everything is in the normal (high) range.  My HDL >45 is now 75.  My LDL which was 153 last fall is now 116.  My testing says anything under 129 is acceptable.  Triglicerides

HW: 249   SW: 229 GW: 149 Age: 63 - Body by Sauceda - 12/2011

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 293 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views