a (scary) moment of insanity

momsy55
on 5/30/12 10:35 am - ME
Had my 9 month follow up with the NUT today - all good.  My body fat percentage is at the higher end of the normal range for my age group!  Still have a ways to go, but all was good.  The metabolism test shows 7% above normal.  What was the scary moment of insanity was, when I left, the old tapes of "phew, that's over, now I can go out and eat what I want" came over me like a wave.  I was able to stave off that *&^%#@ voice.  But, it was quite strong for a moment there.  I got a decaf coffee and drove the hour home, then ate some nuts (a dangerous food for me), in a mindless way, when I got home.  I made myself look at what was going on.  I was hungry, for one, as I couldn't eat for 3 hours before the test, so I used that as an excuse to skip lunch (so I'd weigh less of course)!  I set myself up with old thinking and patterns of behavior.  This food addiction is rearing its ugly head, and I hate it!!!!  I needed to admit this publicly, as if I don't, that voice will get stronger still.  There's an OA meeting in the next town tomorrow night that a friend recently told me about, which would probably be a good idea to attend to help me get re-grounded before I do something really stupid.

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

acbbrown
on 5/30/12 10:41 am - Granada Hills, CA
The ability to stop and recognize what is going on is priceless - and when you cant do that - that's the only time you have a real problem.

I have come to terms with the fact that I will struggle with food addiction/compulsive eating for the rest of my life, but having good habits and being aware will allow me to get to goal and reasonably maintain.

SOOOO even though it was scary - I have to say congrats on recognizing it an squasing that ugly voice :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

momsy55
on 5/30/12 11:11 am - ME
Thanks Alison!  I too recognize that I will always struggle with food addiction and compulsive eating as well.  I am so glad I have formed good habits over the past almost year.  What's so scary for me is that I was blind sided by this one, so I am taking it as a wake-up call to be more mindful of what I'm doing.

acbbrown
on 5/30/12 11:54 am - Granada Hills, CA
 Ill just tell you - being tired/sick/fatigued is almost always a trigger for me, so first signs of noticing that I feel under the weather, I become super mindful about food and all that. It actually makes me more tired to constantly think about it when Im already tired, but by doing that, I avoid some pitfalls.  Just make sure you know your triggers and be on "heightened alert" doing those times and you'll be good to go :)

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

momsy55
on 5/30/12 8:59 pm - ME
Being mindful and honest are key.  Something that has stayed with me from years in OA is not to get too hungry, angry, lonely, or tired, as they all can trigger overeating.  It is so hard during those times to be as alert as needed, but it's an area where it's vital.

rhearob
on 5/30/12 11:03 am - TN
 There is a woman in my support group that I have learned a great deal from.  She is 8 years out from RNY.  She admits to still struggling at times.  She still has to be mindful every day about what she eats.

I'm with Alison, you have this under control.  You recognized what was going on and stopped it.  Thats a victory.

Now you can start working on long term tools to manage it.  This is scary, but you controlled it and thats something to be proud of.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

momsy55
on 5/30/12 11:17 am - ME
Thanks for the support Rob!  You're right about working on long-term tools, as the struggle doesn't magically go away after surgery.

Could_It_Be
on 5/30/12 11:22 am
 Sounds like you have a handle on this, you recognized it and are moving on. Good for you!!

VSG on 6/22/11
momsy55
on 5/30/12 11:27 am - ME
Thanks!!

Pura Vida
on 5/30/12 11:31 am - Costa Rica
Your definitely not alone, I did a boot camp workout today and got upset about how my thighs looked, so I left the excersize class and ate an eclair!!! I did recognize what was happening, but still working on the follow through...I have to take it one day at time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 152 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 425 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 445 views