Insurance denied...

NanfromSan
on 5/31/12 3:09 am
VSG on 12/09/14
I'm so bummed out.  After being told that I was approved, I found out yesterday that my insurance denied me.  They made me do the 4 month supervised weight loss plan with the doctor (which cost me lots of money in copays).  Then when submitted for final approval they said I was not overweight long enough.  They said that in 2009 I was a good weight and so this is not a chronic weight issue.  I was so angry.  Because if anyone bothered to look at my history for the last 35 years of my life, you would see that it IS a chronic issue.  But they chose a random time period which with my luck, just happens to be a time when I was at a good weight.  Even then, not a good weight according to their charts, but not morbidly obese.  Just obese.  I feel like it was a cop out on the insurance company's part.  Almost like someone was trying to look for a reason, ANY reason to deny.
The office person said she would try and give them more weight history and see if they will change their minds, but I'm not counting on it at all.
I'm not going to pay for this myself or go to Mexico or anything like that.  It's just 40-50 pounds max.  I can do it again.  I just know that given my history, the weight loss will be short lived and the yo yo-ing will continue on...

I wasn't frustrated with the decision, just the reason (and the fact that I spent all this money on a supervised weight loss which was total bologna because they didn't do squat, it was just for insurance purposes).  Grrr...

I'm still happy for the others who had their surgeries and I will check in from time to time to see before and after photos :) :) :)

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Tracasa
on 5/31/12 3:29 am
Do not give up! You are entitled to file an appeal! Don 't let them decide your fate without a fight. I know it's easy to just give up when you feel beaten but this is your life and health. Give it another try. I'm in your corner keep trying!

louisamay
on 5/31/12 4:16 am
VSG on 04/27/12
Send an appeal and include your longer history of weight issues.

Do they really require you to be morbidly obese in order to qualify? 

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

chiefsgirl3
on 5/31/12 4:37 am - IL
VSG on 06/05/12
Appeal that!  That IS bologna!  Make sure you include weights for as many years back as you can get!

Jaffe
on 5/31/12 4:59 am - PA
VSG on 03/19/12

You write.... "Almost like someone was trying to look for a reason, ANY reason to deny."

Not ALMOST, that is EXACTLY their job... to save money. If they deny a certain percentage and you walk away without a fight, then they just saved money. They are HOPING you give up.

Of course, some see the longterm benefits/savings and calculate that into the decision, but many insurance companies are just trying to boost quarterly numbers. 

APPEAL
 ! ... if it is something you really want you will keep up the fight.      

HT:  5' 7"    HW:  249   ConsultW:  238   SW:  218   Preop Loss:  20
  M1:12  2:11  3:7  4:7  5:8  6:8  7:7  8:3  9:0  10:3  11:3  12:4  13:0  14:4  15:

char_in_md1
on 5/31/12 5:25 am
 appeal! I was denied, then approved! appeal, appeal, appeal! 
barber64
on 5/31/12 9:09 am - Temecula, CA
VSG on 06/06/12
dont give up.. I have been denied, denied approved and denied finally approved. long story. anyways. as of today Im waiting for that call for my date. its been 11 months to get to this point. but started almost 2 years ago.    I have cried and cried because we done everything they ask. just to hear Denied.  appeal it to the grevice committee. but make sure you ask for thier name and direct number. note the time and date. because they do not keep good notes on thier end. that is something I learn and which someone told me about it sooner.

Sherri B.
on 5/31/12 1:10 pm
Definitely appeal. Include your longer weight history and be sure to include any co-morbidities you have. I was denied and only approved after I got my HR Dept involved because my company is self-insured. Insurance companies look for any reason possible to deny WLS. I fought tooth and nail to get my surgery covered and I'm totally glad I did. In my case, I met the qualifications specifically listed in our policy, but they denied the surgery anyway saying that my hypertension didn't count since it was controlled with meds. But that's not what the policy said so I appealed to my HR dept and they had an independent third party review the policy and the decision and then forced the insurance administrator to cover the surgery for me.
On another note, my plan just recently changed their coverage for WLS and made it easier for others to get WLS covered. It was previously listed as an exception and was only covered in the case of diabetes, hypertension or cardiovascular disease, but now it is covered if you meet the NIH guidelines of BMI over 40 or BMI over 35 with co-morbidities.

NanfromSan
on 6/1/12 2:56 am
VSG on 12/09/14
I have very high weights from 2005 and 2006, but the doctor's office didn't ask for that far back.  I'm going to shoot them an email and tell them to look farther back.  I don't have any co-morbidities.  I'm going to ask HR if they have any advice.  The problem is that people look at me and think "Are you crazy?  You're not fat enough" but they're not carrying this weight.  I don't get as much help because everyone thinks I don't need this surgery in the first place.  I will keep trying.  If not, then like I said...it's okay.  I will just do it the old fashioned way.  I will update if anything changes.

Start weight:  252 pounds 

High weight:  268 pounds

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views