what does it feel like to be full? i feel like i am missing signals or something

cmaldavis
on 6/2/12 12:36 pm - Willow Spring, NC
VSG on 05/23/12
I had surgery on the 23rd and have been on full liquids. Tomato soup, protein drinks, sf pudding, carb master yogurt, tried to make sf egg custard (didnt go too well). I have no pain or discomfort. I had heartburn once or twice but not severe. I am steadily losing. Getting all the fluids and proteins.

My problem is i dont ever feel full. I cant feel the food going through or down. When i had the band i felt everything. Going down, going through, not going through, getting stuck, gurgles, everything. Even to the extent of how restricted it was as my body rejected it. Now, there is nothing.

If i cant feel anything how do i learn when i am satisfied, when to stop. I know its a learning process but i am quite concerned how to learn in this situation.

justmest
on 6/2/12 12:44 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/21/12
 When you are newly sleeved you don't get that full feeling like you used to.  It's important to measure at this stage because when they cut your stomach they cut nerves that takes time to heal. Follow the meal plan from your surgeon and measure faithfully. 

Referal weight 265, surgery date weight 243, ticker is all post op loss so add 22 to ticker loss

pedirn06
on 6/2/12 12:44 pm, edited 6/2/12 12:44 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
 It will probably not be until you have progressed to dense proteins that you really feel full
pedirn06

cmaldavis
on 6/2/12 12:47 pm - Willow Spring, NC
VSG on 05/23/12
Ok. Just super paranoid about too much of anything.
trayb17
on 6/2/12 12:47 pm
VSG on 01/05/12
I always measure everything I eat and keep dense protein to a 2oz or 2.5 ounce portion. I rarely feel full as I try not to eat over my measured portion amount. I have a pressure behind the breastbone, sometimes hiccups and a runny nose which are all indicators that I am done eating, even if I haven't finished my measured portion. You will start to feel your full signal probably when you start eating dense protein.
sunnie41
on 6/2/12 12:47 pm - Canada
VSG on 05/17/12
I agree with you. But i am so worried bout 'testing' the limit of my sleeve that i am just sticking with my quarter cup or 2oz of mushies and half cup or 4 oz of liquid. maybe that will change as i go (i was sleeved on the 17th) but for now...thats my story and im stickin to it congrats on ur weight loss so far.
cmaldavis
on 6/2/12 12:55 pm - Willow Spring, NC
VSG on 05/23/12
Good point. As i move into stuff like cottage cheese and refried beans i will be very careful to measure so i wont have that fear of overdoing it by accident and before my stomach and i get reacquainted.
hollymarie1122
on 6/2/12 2:08 pm - WA
I came to ask this exact question, I had my sleeve on the 29th I have had yogurt and cottage cheese and I still havent figuredout what hungry or full feel like I am scared to eat to much but also to not eat enough...
cmaldavis
on 6/2/12 10:13 pm - Willow Spring, NC
VSG on 05/23/12
I know right! From what i read if we measure we should be good. I got a 1/4 c measuring cup and put it on the counter so i can remember to do it. I think that will help relieve some of the anxiety.
USAF Wife
on 6/2/12 2:18 pm, edited 6/2/12 2:20 pm
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but it's kind of a liquid in, liquid out thing. Your nerves have cut, stapled off, beat up, and aren't firing properly.

The sleeve is SO opposite of the band so everything you know from the band, you might as well toss out the window. The band gives you that pouch/stoma combination where stuff kind of leaks through, with the sleeve it doesn't work that way. The only thing you can keep with the sleeve that the band gave you is the no drinking for 30 minutes after a meal, and avoid sliders. But, all those "feelings" you had with the band won't happen with a sleeve. At least, that was my experience.

I never ate until full, I learned the hard way, well it actually only happened a couple of times during my losing stage, that eating that "one last bite" is a misery and painful. And, I would get a hiccup or two and wasn't aware of that being a full signal for some. I decided to stop hitting that "hiccup" spot because it was uncomfortable just a few minutes later.

Measure, measure, measure and I measure by volume, my stomach does not recognize weighted foods so it was measuring cups and spoons. That's my best advice as a band to vsg revisioner. This whole "full signal" thing is just a bad habit. My surgeon stressed to never eat until full because that's what helped get me fat. So, I had to break that "habit/behavior". Eat the measured amount, and walk away. You'll find that dense protein is kind of tricky. I couldn't eat more than 2ounces of dense protein even at 3 months post-revision. I can now eat 4-6ounces of protein at 3 years out. If you start having this gnawing, hunger feeling, get on a PPI if you aren't already. Reflux will only irritate your stomach even more and slow healing, along with causing false hunger.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 460 views