I cheated..

sunshine777
on 6/7/12 3:08 pm
VSG on 06/12/12
Confession time. I cheated on my pre-op diet. Ugh..I don't want any of my family or friends knowing I am getting WLS. Today my BFF and Godson (her son) picked me up for a movie and we ended up at Applebee's instead. My Godson wanted to treat me since he just started working. I did not want them to question why I did not want to eat...so I ordered food.I picked at my food and brought the rest home. Now I feel guilty for eating. Are any of you keeping your surgery a secret from everyone like I am?      
jarabacoagirl
on 6/7/12 3:55 pm
VSG on 12/17/12
I was going to keep mine a secret from public and just tell very close friends and family.  Well one of my family members blabbed it to like the whole world (even though I told them not to.)  so it's not a secret anymore.  I'm not have surgery til November but I know that preop diet is important to shrink your liver so becareful about cheating cause they might postpone surgery if it happens too much.  That' sjust what I heard.

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

sunshine777
on 6/7/12 4:29 pm
VSG on 06/12/12
Oh that is too bad that your secret was told. I really don't want anyone to know. I did tell my significant other, one of my sisters, and my oldest daughter. Those are the only three I had to tell since they will be watching my other kids while I am in the hospital and my ride to and from surgery.  I re-read my pre-op diet plan and I actually did not cheat! I was doing it wrong by replacing all meals with one shake on the first day. Well I should have gradually replaced 1 meal a day with the optifast shakes over three days for a total of 5 shakes per day. 
jarabacoagirl
on 6/7/12 4:36 pm
VSG on 12/17/12
So your preop plan allows 1 meal a day for 3 days? 
I just ask cause everyone single one is different.   Some don't even have to be on a liquid diet just an extremely low carb low fat diet.  While other have to be on liquids.  Seems to vary from one doctor to the next.

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

sunshine777
on 6/7/12 5:17 pm
VSG on 06/12/12
Day one replace breakfast with 1 shake, eat lunch and dinner. Day 2 replace breakfast with 1 shake and lunch with 2 shakes, eat dinner. Day three 1 shake for breakfast, 2 shakes for lunch, and 2 shakes for dinner. I was only drinking one shake three times a day.
jarabacoagirl
on 6/8/12 1:20 am
VSG on 12/17/12
I wonder if it's easier to go gradually into the liquid diet like that.  How many days total is your preop diet.  I might try to go gradually into mine before starting mine to make it easier.  Since mine is only 5 days long I could start 8 days ahead. 

scarlettbegonias
on 6/7/12 4:20 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
 Just get back on track,it was one slip up as long as you stick to the plan you'll be ok.....lim with you on the not telling ,my husband will be the only one that knows when I had the band I only told a handful of family and three friends and it got out so not this time!! 
Good luck
Everchanging
on 6/7/12 7:08 pm - NY
VSG on 03/13/12
First off i want to say.....Don't feel too bad.I think that most of the people on this board before they had surgery had a slip up. I know i did,6 days into my pre-op diet i cheated and i felt so guilty,I had a bagel.Its crazy how you mind play tricks on you,You ate what you ate now its time to move and make today count.

I'm on a Everchanging journey.       

Kevin H.
on 6/7/12 8:03 pm, edited 6/7/12 8:04 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 No, I have no reason to hide anything.  My journey has been an open book.  Everyone from my mother to the waiter taking my order at the restaurant and wondering why I need a box as soon as he brings my meal to me.  

I've not heard one negative comment from anyone and its been a great experience overall.

rhearob
on 6/7/12 9:56 pm - TN
 I would question not so much why you slipped, but why you feel the need to keep your WLS a secret?  Everyone uses Privacy, but really?  Even from people you are obviously so close to and love you so much?  Wouldn't it have been just as easy to decline the lunch, and tell your godson " I love you and I am doing this do I can spend many more years with you.  How about I let you treat me out when I can have solid foods again?". How are they going to feel when they find out you lied to them and had surgery!  Hurt?  Betrayed?  Guilty for tempting you?  How will that make you feel?  Did your lie help in the short term but hurt in the long term?

The negative emotions you are feeling now are the real killers.  You have to learn to deal with those to have a healthy relationship with food and make your success more likely in the future.  You have to learn to deal with situations that may lead you to temptation.  You have to learn to handle situations where you are offered foods you shouldn't have.  

This is a wonderful learning experience and happened at a terrific time.  Please start developing strategies for handling these things so you can have the success you want.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 53 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 221 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 302 views