Carbs? Net Carbs?

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/8/12 11:31 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My pre-op diet requires that I limit my carbs to 30 while eating at least 60-70 grams of protein each day. There is then a link to the Atkins site, which talks about "net carbs."

Am I understanding correctly that if a food has fibre as part of its carb content those carbs don't count as part of my 30? As in - if I make flax muffins with 6.2 carb grams, but 5.9 of those are fibre, I'll only be using up .3 gram of my carb allotment?

If this is so I'm in luck. That muffin also contains 8 grams of protein and goes nicely with all sorts of things.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/12 11:40 am
Every program is different, but my program clearly states that it's all carbs not net carbs.  The reason for this is that even some fiber carbs are actually metabolized.  I always tended to go on the strict side, but ask your doctor.
Kelly-AnneH
on 6/8/12 11:45 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Ah well, most things that sound that good are not true. I'll likely still make the muffins - I just won't eat many of them.

USAF Wife
on 6/8/12 11:46 am
Yep, I'm with Elina on this one as my program was the same.

Carbs are carbs.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/12 11:52 am
Hijack

You know most of the time I can just follow all of your posts and say, "Do what she said".  or just "Like" or simply move along.  You really have this thing coming and going.  You are a true inspiration and a much needed voice of reason.  I love your posts.
USAF Wife
on 6/8/12 11:59 am
On June 8, 2012 at 6:52 PM Pacific Time, Elina_7 wrote:
Hijack

You know most of the time I can just follow all of your posts and say, "Do what she said".  or just "Like" or simply move along.  You really have this thing coming and going.  You are a true inspiration and a much needed voice of reason.  I love your posts.
You are amazing, simply no other definition for you as a human, friend, fellow sleevester. I'm so glad to have shared this journey with you.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

rhearob
on 6/8/12 12:07 pm - TN
 Carbs are Carbs.  If Atkins was effective for bariatric weight loss, why would we need surgery?

Seriously, you will see people on both sides of this rug meant.  For myself, I think the whole net carbs thing is just accounting tricks to justify eating more carbs.  

Do yourself a favor and skip the muffins.  The whole point of the pre-op diet is to deplete your stores of glycogen to make the surgery easier and less risky.  Are some flax muffins worth that?

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/8/12 12:26 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
They'll only go down my gullet if they fit within my 60 of protein. No worries - I intend to do my share of the heavy lifting in this project.

The muffins contain eggs, flax meal, cinnamon, stevia, a bit of water and some baking powder. Pretty healthy for something that gives the gives the enjoyment of eating "bread" with a meal.

Shagdoll
on 6/8/12 12:22 pm, edited 6/8/12 2:16 pm
Once I noticed that My Fitness Pal inputs all the carbs of my favorite Atkins protein bars, I stopped eating them. I count all carbs, not net carbs. It's best during the losing phase to really restrict your carbs as much as possible. My plan calls for 20-40 grams a day but I usually consume closer to 20 a day.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

jengo1971
on 6/8/12 12:49 pm
I had to chime in just for the fun of it because I'm the "odd ball" here.  I've only counted "net" carbs for 18 months now.  Seems to have worked for me.  Good luck on your journey!

Jennifer

hi there.  pleased to meet you.  ~jennifer                        
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 105 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 333 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 379 views