FIBER/BM'S

Barbara W.
on 6/10/12 1:56 pm - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
I am current on week 3 - puree stage.  I was having regular BM's (sorry-TMI)
every day and after I started puree stage they stopped.  It's been 3 days and
does anyone know if it is ok to take chewable Fiber Choice Tabs. These
worked well prior to surgery. Thank you anyone. 

justeric78
on 6/10/12 2:02 pm - Houston, TX
I had to use liquid MoM for awhile, fiber was not even enough. I now take the daily mom pills to keep things moving. I found a high fiber protein shake I am hoping will help as well. My Dr. Was okay with me taking MoM until i found a more permanent solution with what I am doing now. I hope the fiber pills are enough for you.

moonglo82
on 6/10/12 2:02 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I take fiber three times a day. My surgeon was fine with it.

I would email your surgeon or nut to be sure, but several people here have to either do fiber or laxatives to be regular, so I would think that as long as you are following the instructions on the package and not overdoing it, you should be fine.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

doggz109
on 6/10/12 2:07 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
Talk to your surgeon to see if they are ok with it.

First thing I would do.....make sure you are getting enough fluids in.  That is the #1 cause of constipation.

If you do end up taking a fiber supplement drink even more water because those can make you even more clogged if they dont have the water to work.

One tip - not for now so much but later on - make sure you get some healthy fats in your diet.  Butter or coconut oil work well.  Not much because it does impact your calorie count but getting some healthy fat does wonders for keeping you regular.
ND2BTHN
on 6/10/12 2:12 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 I agree with the others. This was a huge issue for me. It was suggested for me to add fiber flakes that you add to bran muffins to my yogurt or cottage cheese. I also used Benefiber in my water.  I couldn't find chewable fiber anywhere. It helped a bit, but I would still go 3 or 4 days between movements. I was allowed coffee after 3 months. This was always a great laxative for me pre-op and has proven to be the only thing that works for me post op too. I know it doesn't help you now, but it may be a good alternative later on down the road.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
belovedbty83
on 6/10/12 10:38 pm - PA
Im glad you asked the question.  I am at the same point in the process as you.  I havent had a BM in 5 days today.  I am so bloated and uncomfortable.  I tried a fiber drink that has worked wonders in the past and nothing.  I am calling the doctor today.  I would be feeling awesome if I could just poop. tmi sorry!!!       Good luck to you with everything!!!
Barbara W.
on 6/11/12 3:47 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
In desperation I chewed two Fiber Choice tablets last night before
going to bed and this morning at 10:45 I finally had a victory.  I feel
much better.  Maybe Fiber Choice would work for you too.

belovedbty83
on 6/11/12 3:54 am - PA
lol I called the doctor.  He said those as an option.  He gave me acouple different things to try but he said make sure you are eating oatmeal?  I thought that was weird but whatever I will try anything at this point.  Congrads on your success!!!
Barbara W.
on 6/11/12 4:01 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
Oatmeal contains a lot of fiber.  This is really a crazy subject to
be discussing, but a necessary one!  I remember an old woman
telling her grandchildren once that eating what you need to keep
you regular prevents you from getting sick.  There must be some
truth to what that old woman said.

belovedbty83
on 6/11/12 10:18 pm - PA
Its true!!! My mom told me the same thing. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views