1.5 years out, still learning my food lessons the hard way!

SassyItalian
on 6/12/12 10:59 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
I shoulda known!!!

I will preface that with a little bit of background, I moved in April to the island of St. Kitts, a tiny island in the Caribbean, population 40,000 (including moi!), 65 square miles big (or small). Its a naturally gorgeous spot, home to the veterinary school I am attending for the next 2.5 years. 

I love it here. Every Saturday there is an open market at port that sells fresh fruit, veggies, fish, meat, fruit juices, herbs, anything you could want. Almost everything is local, organically grown. Every wednesday I buy fruits and veggies from an organic Rasta farmer. Best hummus ever! The volcanic soil here is great for growing wonderful, natural things!

Anyway, St. Kitts being so small means NO Walmart, Target (boo!), and no McDonalds. Kittittians idea of fast food is fresh chicken, ribs, and rock lobster, grilled by the side of the road. Mmmmmm, meat.

Well, after a long day of science lectures, my best friend on the island thought it would be a good idea to grab the only "real" fast food here, KFC. (can you see where this is going?) I tagged along. Mind you,  I havent had fried chicken or french fries in at least 2 months.

So..yea..BAD IDEA. And I shoulda known!! I always forget until its too late but it is SO OBVIOUS!!:

=My body feels good and works efficiently when I eat right ie lots of healthy protein, eggs, veggies, fresh fruits. Whole foods.

=My body feels bad when I eat junk ie KFC, fried foods, sugar, oreos. 

So the moral is, even after a year and a half, sometimes it takes a little..gastric indiscretion.. to remember what I should and should not be eating. Its so true, the body knows what is best!

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

lucy2e
on 6/12/12 11:22 am - Laurel, MD
It sounds like you are doing awesome and living the life that you could have only dreamed of a couple of years ago Sassy - congrats!  

Sounds like your KFC visit was a positive - it reminded you of what you are so not missing!  Enjoy all the good things!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

debk21
on 6/12/12 11:30 am - Mansfield, TX
Wow Sass!  Totally jealous of your fabulous lifestyle.  Thank you for the reminder of how we feel versus what we put into our bodies...Over the weekend my Mom said "You are what you eat.  I want to eat a skinny person."  She's such a card!  Enjoy your fun in the sun!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

MaryContrary80
on 6/12/12 12:00 pm
VSG on 09/04/12
 Umm I want to come live with you! Sounds amazing! Congratulations on all of your success! 
justme88
on 6/12/12 12:20 pm

My husband and I were in St. Kitts in February.  It is so beautiful there and I loved the monkeys!  Glad you learned the lesson with KFC - its amazing how bad fast food can make you feel when you haven't had it in a while.

Kelli

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 161 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 433 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 456 views