Will I need a wheelchair?

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/13/12 6:02 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My husband and I are flying to San Diego in just over a week for my VSG with Dr Aceves. I have everything booked, then started wondering. Am I going to need a wheelchair at the airports coming home? We'll be flying from San Diego to Calgary, have a 2 hour layover, then fly from there to home in Edmonton.

Oh yes - it'll be 3 days out from surgery.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

EliseG
on 6/13/12 6:12 am - MA
I wouldn't think you would need one, but it might be different for everybody. In the hospital I was up walking A LOT. When I was ready for discharge I was waiting for the wheelchair that they usually bring to wheel you out (it's a very large hospital) but they said I was fine and I just walked out

Kelly-AnneH
on 6/13/12 6:28 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I hope I'm the same as you.
I'd figured I'd be ok with just boarding toward the end (I chose seats near the front with me having the aisle seat for a bit of extra room) and getting off after the rush.
A friend suggested a wheelchair to cut down on the time standing in queues for security and customs.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

MizzEvil
on 6/13/12 6:24 am - Phoenix, AZ
VSG on 03/16/12
The SD airport is pretty easy to navigate through. I didn't need any assistance.
The only time I would definitely recommend is if you didn't have someone with you as far as carrying/lifting your suitcase. I was doing more walking around the hospital then I did at the airport.
Since you have a 2 hour layover, that will give you plenty of time to make your connecting flight and if you should need a lift, you can take one of those carts.

SmilinGal
on 6/13/12 6:38 am - TN
VSG on 02/28/12
You probably won't need one if you do enough walking at the hospital. You will LOVE Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos!

moonglo82
on 6/13/12 6:42 am
VSG on 03/29/12
I agree. Do as much walking as you can at the hospital... they'll even let you go outside once you get the IV out! The San Diego airport is pretty little, and after being in the van for a while to get there, you will probably want to get up and walk around some anyways.

If you were going alone, I would suggest getting the wheelchair assistance so that you have someone to help with your bags, but since your husband will be going, you should be just fine.

PS- I also agree that you are going to LOVE Dr. Aceves and Dr. Campos! They are both awesome, as are Blanca, Yolanda, and even the nurses! Great group of people

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

hurleygirlie
on 6/13/12 7:16 am
VSG on 05/22/12 with

I am from Minnesota, but had my surgery in Dallas on May 22nd.  I thought it wouldn't be any trouble to walk thru the airport on the way home.  I did alot more walking than maybe I should have - we had to walk a long way from where we were dropped off to where our gate was - good thing there was a tram and escalators.

I also have rheumatoid arthritis that affects my hips, so I'm not sure it was the surgery or the RA or a combination of both, but by the time I got home, I was sore, sore, sore.

If you get there and find out that it is too much for you to walk, don't hesitate to get a wheelchair and assistance.  You don't want to slow up your recovery by being modest about riding in a wheelchair or embarrassed about asking for help - that is why they have people there to assist.

Good luck with your surgery!

Jane

Boppie2012
on 6/13/12 7:56 am - Dunedin, FL
I would get one especially to make you more comfortable while having to stand in lines, etc. Your energy level fades very quickly after surgery. Best wishes to you and prayers.
Moniachelle
on 6/13/12 8:50 am
VSG on 05/22/12
Yes you will. Im post-op 3 weeks and when i was released I felt fine but I was really weak for a few days.  I live in So Cal. Are you going to Scripps if so you will love it. good luck on your surgery, congrats.

ND2BTHN
on 6/13/12 12:41 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Nope. I didn't need one at all. I travelled alone and had no problem. Just make sure you travel light, and use a 4 wheeled carry on luggage only. You can roll it along side of you and not worry about straining any muscles. I also attached my cpap machine on top of the luggage, so everything was compact and completely portable. Even left the purse at home.

As for boarding the flight home, I didn't have to wait. When they called for the passengers who needed additional time for boarding, to come up first, I walked right up to the front of the line, and went ahead of the rest, with no issues. I just had a male passenger who was sitting next to me, lift my luggage up top for me, and brought it down again upon arrival. Just take your time, and ask for help when needed. You will be fine. Get all the walking in you can get. Remember you'll be sitting 3 hours in the van, and then in the airport, and then several more hours on the plane, wait again 2 hours at the airport, more time on the plane and then the vehicle before you get home. That's a lot of time sitting. I suggest you use the layover time for walking too. I didn't walk enough in the hospital, and had terrible gas pain on the plane ride home. Took 7 days for it to go away. Walk as much as possible. You won't regret it.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 290 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 342 views