Repeat question..just need clarification Re: "Dumping"

Heather Q.
on 6/13/12 2:27 am - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 04/10/12
Hello all,

This question is aimed at the vets who have had the VSG, but I'll gladly take any ones input.

It's about dumping. Long and short, I have tried to be very regimented about what I eat. I have only been sleeved for 2 months and while I'm not perfect, I try to stick as close to diet as possible.
However, the other night my family and myself were treated to dinner by some friends, and they arranged for us to eat at a Chinese restaurant. Immediately red flags started going up as I'm aware Chinese food can be carb and fat laden fare. Since we were be treated, I felt it wasn't my place to question the restaurant, so I decided to go along and try to make the healthiest choices I could, and opt to eat an extra small amount. Needless to say, a lot of unhealthy options were ordered so I gravitated to the proteins ( seafood, chicken ) and mixed veggies. I did a very small amount of chow mein (less than a 1/4 cup) and boy, do I regret that!
It all tasted lovely till it hit my stomach. Within 10 mins I got a little nauseous, and couldn't stop salivating. Thought, " Omg..what have I done?" I tried not to show my discomfort and sipped a little Chinese tea. The nausea gradually subsided but soon after my guts let me know they were not amused. We got home just in time and I spent 15 mins in the bathroom. Dinner ran through me like a freight train...ugh. My poor tummy still felt a bit off the next day, so I only ate easy, mushy foods.

So, my questions. Did I have what is know as "Foamies" ? Is this considered dumping? From what I've read, I had some of the symptoms, but not as bad as some described. All I know is I won't repeat that again, and if I'm dumb enough to repeat it, it won't be anytime soon! Thank you for any info!

Heather

doggz109
on 6/13/12 2:36 am - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
"Foamies" is basically saliva backing up in your throat.  Your body produces more when it feels "sick" or in preparation for vomiting.  It usually means you have eaten too much of the wrong thing.

This is NOT the same as dumping.

Dumping so far as I understand it is a physiological response to food (particularly high sugar or fat items) leaving the stomach and emptying very quickly into the small intestine.  This is a particular problem for RNY patients and is up for debate for VSG.  It causes a variety of symptoms from light headedess, nausea, sweating, dizziness, fatigue, etc.  It has never happened to me but I am imagining like the worst sickening sugar rush ever.

You could have had dumping or it could have just been that you put some MSG/corn starch filled chinese food into an eight week old sleeve and it didn't like it very much. :)

RHCP
on 6/13/12 3:33 am - Poughkeepsie, NY
YOU CAN ABSOLUTELY DUMP with the sleeve... HOWEVER not everyone does.

It happened to me I had one to many chocolate covered pretzels and I thought I was having a heart attack- heart racing- lightheaded- nauseous- foamies- tingle in arms. As soon as I threw up I immediately felt better.

Every person is different- I can eat Chinese food and have no problems-I can also eat 4 oz of dense red meat no problem- but I can not stomach 2 bites of any kind of chili- and that seems to be a big staple for most weight loss people.

Think of your experience as a right of passage...it happens to most of us. I wont eat those chocolate covered pretzels ever again! Although you can have Chinese again maybe just different options.

loverofcats
on 6/13/12 3:40 am
Your sleeve is pretty young, so the chow mein and other food may have had too much fat for your young sleeve and didn't agree with it. What you described, sounds like the foamies, although that usually that doesn't cause diarrhea. The food didn't agree with your sleeve. You might be able to tolerate it, later on down the road.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/12 4:25 am
While the dumping debate rages on, sounds to me like yours is a simple case of overdoing it a little too early for your baby sleeve. Sounds like you had a combo of Foamies and gastric distress. Chow Mein is extremely high in fat. For 8 weeks you've been on probably a very or extrememly low fat food program. The sudden introduction of all that fat combined with spice would be enough for your gastro-intestinal mechanism to go into "shock" and want that stuff the hell out! Thus, your "potty time" once you got home.

I think you learned a valuable lesson yesterday. You're not alone. Many people have learned similar lessons and have carried them forward to successfully get to goal.
(deactivated member)
on 6/13/12 4:29 am - Greater Austin Area
VSG on 02/03/12
I can tell you that the foamies are actually slimy spit coming out of your mouth, beyond your control. It just comes up. I've had it a few times. BUT I CAN TELL YOU I DID EXPERIENCE DUMPING ONCE after consuming something with sugar. It was a few weeks or so post op and I definitely felt it. I felt dizzy, nauseous, diarrhea, and  very sick and etc. . just  exactly the way RNY patients explain it. BUT I have not experienced it since. It can happen to sleevers--but nowhere near as much as RNY'ers. I have heard a few sleevers say it happens to them every now and then. I can tell you this--you know dumping when you experience it. I'll never forget it.
rhearob
on 6/13/12 4:56 am - TN
 I don't believe in dumping with the sleeve.  I do believe we can have reactive hypoglycemia secondary to rapid stomach emptying - but not real dumping in the way I have seen RNY patients have it.

It sounds like you just made some bad food choices - and maybe had some foamies.

Work on developing some strategies for when you eat out.  First, research the nutritional info and menu for the restaurant - even if its just on MFP.  Second order smartly - in a Chineese restaurant you can eat well and within your meal plan without resorting to things you shouldn't have.  For example, order the Moo Goo Gai Pan and just eat the chicken and shrimp in it.  If you have any leftover room then eat the snow peas.  You just had a bariatric friendly meal at a chineese restaurant without killing your plan.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

slatond
on 6/13/12 5:39 am
only 2 wks post op so don't really know about dumping w/ the sleeve but I am reactive hyperglocemic ( might not be right word)... But is very similiar to dumping. 

I get dizzy, tunnel vision, cold sweats and have even passed out. Once my body recovers I am lethargic and require rest for a little while. 

Thanks goodness this hasn't happen in a long time and I am still SUPER careful abt my sugar intake and making sure I get natural sugars from fruits to prevent this from happening again.

As for Chinese. I had egg drop soup when I went and it was wonderful. Sleeve did ok w/ it as well!

Mom78
on 6/13/12 8:56 am
VSG on 02/10/12

What you described is what I get like when I eat any asian food, thats my entire life!  They've said it was IBS, but IDK what it was...  Called it the bubble guts, had to be near a bathroom everytime.

Even if they say there is no MSG, my mom is the same way.

I haven't tried it postop and don't plan to. 

SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

Cindi A.
on 6/14/12 1:47 pm - Vancouver, Canada
VSG on 11/26/12
 Sorry you had this happen, Heather. But, knowing you, you won't let it get you down. And by the time I get mine you'll be a vet and can answer my questions. LOL BTW, happy to have read that post on FB, congrats on the loss so far!

Hugs, C.

centurycard     

Surg: Nov. 26/12 1st Goal: Lose 100lbs Reached Feb. 14/14 New Goal: 135lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 451 views