The Fallacy of the "Hijacked Brain"

michellemj
on 6/15/12 3:32 am
I've seen some posts lately about "moderation" and food addictions (disease v. choice) and whatnot...we obviously all have our opinions.

I'm a (drug) addiction researcher, so I have my own thoughts/opinions, but this recent opinion article in the NYTimes actually does a decent job of breaking it all down.

The Fallacy of the "Hijacked Brain"

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 3:47 am
Thank you for posting this article, it was a good read and summarizes a defensible position on free will and addiction.  The question I would pose to you, is do you believe food is an addictive substance?  My own view on this, (and it can change with new data or better research), is that food is not in and of itself addictive.  However, people that have addictive personality and physiology traits can find it addictive.  What do you think?
Mom4Jazz
on 6/15/12 3:56 am

I posted a link from Psychology Today the other day that I'll have to chase down. Essentially it differentiated between two types of addiction: Physical addiction (ie to drugs, alcohol, nicotine, some addictive substance) and Psychological addiction which is trigger in some people in response to reinforced pleasurable experience (gambling, shopping, eating, sex addictions, etc.).

So my thought on your question is that "food addiction" is NOT the same as "drug addiction". It's a psychological addiction more akin to addictive gambling. It would be useful if there were two different terms for the two, because they really are two different animals and the differences cause a lot of misunderstanding when they same term is used for them.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

michellemj
on 6/15/12 4:01 am
What's an addictive personaility? I don't really believe that exists...in that there is no DSMIV Axis II Disorder of Addictive Personality Disorder. (sorry, I am a scientist). :)

I study the genetics of addiction and the changes in the brain once it's been exposed to said substances...and it appears that no matter the substance (drug, food, sex, exercise), they all activate the same brain region and release dopamine.

In the right genetic background and with the right (or in this case, wrong) brain chemistry, yep. Food is def. addictive (in certain animal models and whatnot).

How's that for dancing around the question? :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 4:13 am, edited 6/15/12 4:44 am
I love your answer, it is a complex issue and does not fit neatly into any simple box. As far as what I mean by addictive personality, I am talking about traits rather than a full blown axis II diagnosis. There have been numerous studies, and I am sure you are aware of them, that link certain personality traits with different addictions. For example, a new study prepared for the National Academy of Sciences finds that the following traits are closely linked with addiction:

- Impulsive behavior, difficulty in delaying gratification, an antisocial personality and a disposition toward sensation seeking. This is from Alan R. Lang, a psychology professor at Florida State University

- A high value on nonconformity combined with a weak commitment to the goals for achievement valued by the society.

- A sense of social alienation and a general tolerance for deviance.

- A sense of heightened stress. This may help explain why adolescence and other stressful transition periods are often associated with the most severe drug and alcohol problems.

Other researchers find that a lack of self-esteem, marked depression or anxiety, physical or sexual abuse in childhood, and sharply conflicting parental expectations are often associated with addiction.

Here is the link I am referencing, but much of this is known and not very new. I am sure you are much more informed on these issues than I am.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/18/science/the-addictive-personality-common-traits-are-found.html?pagewanted=all

Fascinating discussion. Thank you for bringing this up.

michellemj
on 6/15/12 4:33 am
I know what you meant. I was just been difficult. :)

and instead of personality, I think the better word is "traits." We can model some of these in animals like the impulsive behavior (but making the jump to "antisocial personality" is a big one in my opinion. When I think of antisocial, I think of not so good things and while one might argue that a true addict might be "not so good" in general, they don't go so far as a true antisocial personality disorder) and the heightened sensation seeking.

As far as depression, anxiety, self-esteem: that's a bit more difficult as it is somewhat of a chicken/egg situation. In the simplest manner, we eat because we are depressed, anxious, have low self-esteem...which leads to more depression, increased anxiety and low self-esteem so we eat more. So what came first? Increased propensity to eat or the depression?

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/12 4:43 am
I totally agree, I think the "antisocial personality" comes more from being willing to try and then get hooked on illegal drugs.  I am not sure it is relevant either.

All really good observations. 

ib40
on 6/15/12 4:05 am
This IS interesting. My view is that SOME foods have addictive qualities and some do not. For example, I don't crave cucumber slices and celery sticks. However, foods that trigger a chemical response in the brain--a rise in serotonin levels, like simple starches, or endorphin levels (like chocolate), do have addictive qualities.

While I certainly don't consider myself a food addict without self control or someone who cannot control their urges...okay, actually I don't consider myself a food addict at all. However, when my depression shows up, I absolutely crave starches and sweets. And I do think it is a physiological response to "self medicate" in the body's effort to raise serotonin levels. When I get anemic, I want bloody steak--the rarer the better. When I'm premenstrual, I want chocolate-- and not the cheap stuff.

In my view, the addiction could theoretically arise if there are chemical imbalances in the brain. For the record, I think many of the alcoholics and drug addicts I have known were self-medicating for a variety of reasons and that therapy and a psychiatrist would have been the better choice. But that requires self realization and an acknowledgement that there is an issue to begin with.

I don't know. It's really a fascinating topic.

Lynnegetsbrave
on 6/15/12 7:41 pm
This is such a great conversation...having worked in a very well thought of facility for drug addictions, eating disorders and mental health issues...the term addictive personality was thrown around pretty freely. I agree that the definition typically included traits common to many people with eating disorders, but also to those who used drugs and alcohol.  In many ways most of these individuals were self-medicating and it wasn't uncommon to for people with drug and alcohol issues to have food issues, although it seemed less common for people with food issues to also have drug or alcohol issues. 

The question is in some ways can a person be genetically predisposed to food issues much like many people  are predisposed to drug or alcohol issues.  Does it only take one bite or one bout of overeating or restricting to start people on a path way to destructive eating patterns as can be true with drug and alcohol issues?

I am not sure I have seen many studies about brain chemistry and over-eating.  In addition, one cannot simply give food up...so it creates a whole new issue in terms of treatment.

I think one thing I saw in working with addictions is that these folks shared a compulsive trait.  It wasn't as much impulsive as it was compulsive...whether it was the need to use or the need to severely restrict their food intake, binge, or just consistently and continually overeat.  Yet, they also shared a commonality of needing to learn their triggers and choose new coping skills. 

I liked the article.  It has some interesting points.  I think the journey is out yet on the issue of compulsive overeating, obesity, and it's relationship or lack thereof  to drug and alcohol addiction.  I think it would be fun to design a study to look at this issue...any one else interested in this...publish or perish you know...lol!!
morgans
on 6/16/12 12:12 am
VSG on 06/18/12
Having spent almost 20 years in AA hearing hundreds and hundreds of stories I can say with no scientific certainty at all that I have never seen a clear commonality. Maybe if everyone who ever sat in a meeting took the  Myers Briggs something might pop up.

I partially self-medicated for what was undiagnosed chronic depression, but my body also just loves alcohol - so much so that my tolerance was scary high.

I choose (free will!) to not drink today but should I drink again there is no "moderation" button. It smells good, it tastes good, I have literally gulped down wine and vodka tonics and shots of tequila because my physical self said "Oh hell yeah that's awesome!". I actually don't like being out of control or feeling drunk. 

Maybe it's a chicken and egg thing. We ate/drink/gambled/had sex whatever because psychologically it filled a need. Consistent use/abuse led to chemical changes in the brain that then set up a physiological loop. I'm pretty sure that's been proven in rats.