Week 2 Post Op Moment of Truth

MeeMiss75
on 6/19/12 3:50 am - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12
I shouldn't beat myself up over this, I really shouldn't. But, I am struggling a bit with my new reality of eating a SIGNIFICANTLY reduced volume of food during meals. I started on cream-based foods this week, and I made myself 3 measly tablespoons of runny grits (probably more when you count the dash of skim milk I added to make them more watery). Imagine my disgust when after approximately 1 tablespoon I was starting to feel the pain of a full sleeve! I knew that my intake would be significantly reduced, but it wasn't as noticeable during Week 1 when all I ate were clear liquids/broths. Now I am being forced to accept that no matter WHAT my mind says (and I have loved grits all my life), my stomach wins. As my Mom reminded me, that's the whole point of the surgery...to stop me from doing the damage to myself that I did with years of overeating. I have secretly always wanted to be the girl who didn't need everything on her plate to feel full. I guess it's just going to take a little more time to adjust. Sigh...

heathermc44
on 6/19/12 4:19 am - Bremerton, WA
 Hang in there! Things won't alwys be this hard?

emelar
on 6/19/12 4:26 am - TX
It's VERY HARD at the beginning to look at the teeny tiny amount of food on our plates and even begin to understand that it's enough.  And it takes a while for the head to catch up with what the stomach already knows - a little bit is more than enough.

It gets better.  Your head will catch up a little, and your stomach capacity will increase (and THAT will scare the cr@p out of you!).  It will become your new "normal."  It took me about 6 months to get there, but once you're there, eating is much, much simpler and less stressful.
MeeMiss75
on 6/19/12 4:40 am - Katy, TX
VSG on 06/12/12
Thanks for the encouragement and the validation guys! As long as I'm doing the right thing and not endangering myself with making the wrong food choices, I can live with it!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 149 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views