Anybody have Dr Amson for a surgeon in Victoria?

MyTurn2012
on 6/19/12 9:31 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 My first appointment is next week and was hoping for some insight on what to expect!
I can't believe it's finally here!!! Also wondering how many Vancouver Islanders are on OH???

Ayorama
on 9/11/12 3:54 pm - Surrey, Canada
So how did it go?  What's happening now?
My first appt with Dr Amson is on Thursday of this week..... so very anxious about it!
MyTurn2012
on 9/11/12 9:29 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Hi, I saw Dr. Amson late June and it went very well. He is a very busy surgeon but seemed to be interested in understanding  my history and decision for surgery.  I was told he wanted me to see an Internal Med Dr and a nutritionist.  I have seen the Internal Med Dr but am still waiting for the referal to the NUT.  I see Dr. Amson again in Jan, he said he wants to see what I can accomplish on my own till then. I have lost 12lbs on my own by using My Fitness Pal as he suggested.  

I think he appreciated that I'd done my research and was very open and honest about my issues with food.  For now I'm just trying to be patient and stay focused on my journey..some days are better then others!

Good luck with your appt..let me know how you make out...add me as a friend if you like.

Ann
MyTurn2012
on 9/13/12 3:15 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Soooooooo how did it go????
Ayorama
on 9/14/12 8:52 am - Surrey, Canada
It went great!!!  I got there at 12 noon and my appt was for 12:30... his receptionist said he was running about an hour behind if I wanted to go get some lunch.  My parents were waiting for me, so we went for lunch and were late getting back.  I was back at 1:45 and he took me immediately. 
He's very knowledgeable, and makes it clear he doesn't want excuses.  Which is great with me!   Very nice man!  One of the things that impressed me was that he only takes on people he feels have the right attitude and if your problem is a behavioural problem like addiction to food, he sends you to addiction counselling before agreeing to surgery.  He really wants you to succeed and answers all questions in a manner that is easy to understand.  AS you said, if you do your homework, he's great.
So I've got to go back and see him in March and have the usual homework to do before then.  Currently he's only authorized to do 2 surgeries a month, and has an meeting with I think the Health Minister, but I"m not sure, to try and get alot more funding for alot more surgeries... which would mean his waiting list wouild go down considerably.  Right now the wait list is between 3 and 4 years.
I'm on the wait list for a roen-y as a revisional for my 2002 gastroplasty.
yippee!!!
MyTurn2012
on 9/14/12 9:09 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Sounds like you had a positive experience!  He mentioned to me about the gov't hopefully giving more OR time for WLS in the near future. Fingers crossed 
Ayorama
on 9/14/12 9:20 am - Surrey, Canada
I was wondering if there was anyone we could send a letter to in support of the funding, but didn't think to ask when I was there.
MyTurn2012
on 9/14/12 9:30 am - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
There is I'm sure on the Ministry of Health website a link to send the Minister an email.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views