My crappy low ferritin levels

ib40
on 6/21/12 4:25 pm
I posted about this last week, and I got in to see my internist this week. We redid the blood work my surgeon ordered in April. My ferritin levels are in the toilet. It is not caused by the surgery--I had this issue before my surgery, but it seems to affect me more since WLS.

For the past two years, my ferritin levels (stored iron) range between 0-3.2. Normal ranges for women are 20-291. My hemoglobin, saturation, etc., is within the normal range. Low ferritin can be caused by prolonged heavy periods, celiac's disease, intestinal surgery, or malabsorption issues. It can also be linked to a low thyroid. My thyroid function test hasn't come back yet.  I have no idea what causes mine.

I'm now taking iron supplements and it's killing my stomach. Has anyone taken the iron injections that are available? I'm thinking that may be another alternative if I continue to have stomach issues. I'm trying to avoid the infusions/transfusions if at all possible although my numbers qualify me for them right now.

What have you taken for low iron that didn't have side effects?

USAF Wife
on 6/21/12 10:23 pm
I have zero personal experience, but I know several here and friends in real life who get their iron from vitalady.com I haven't heard of the regular injections, but I hope you can avoid the infusions as well. Even if you don't get your iron from her, she is a great resource for post-WLS supplementation and could possibly help you with your specific questions.

Fingers crossed that you get some answers as to the reason behind your chronically low numbers!
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

ib40
on 6/22/12 5:41 am
Thanks for the tip! I've seen Vitalady mentioned several times as I researched on the web. I'm going to visit the website and  do some investigating.

Dawnie 88
on 6/21/12 10:43 pm
I was going to post about this very same thing.  I just got my lab work and my ferritin had been at 10 in the fall..a month or two later at 9..now it's 8...just keeps dropping.  I am going to start taking Fergon..hoping it helps some (retesting in a few mths)..but iron pills KILL my stomach also..i am not looking forward to taking them...ughhh..

ib40
on 6/22/12 5:43 am
Good luck and do please let me know how your numbers are when you retest. I'll do the same. Mine may be related to years of really heavy periods--who knows? The only time I've taken Iron in the past is after delivering my children and I despised them then. I don't know anyone who tolerates the supplements well.

moonglo82
on 6/21/12 10:47 pm
VSG on 03/29/12
I have no experience with this, but wanted to say I hope you get this figured out soon... taking extra meds is no fun!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

ib40
on 6/22/12 5:44 am
Thank you for the well wishes! Hopefully, I can get everything figured out and back on track sooner rather than later.

natalie37
on 6/21/12 11:15 pm - Advance, NC
Revision on 03/28/12
I had this issue after my rny- combination of crazy heavy periods and severe malabsorption from the surgery- I didn't absorb any oral iron so I ended up with the infusions (my doc didn't recommend the injections). It was a pain going to have them done, but it was unreal how much better i felt once my numbers came up!! Once my numbers were high enough, he said I would probably have to have one once a year- that was about 18months ago and my levels are still OK-he said maybe the "boost" was all I needed. I did 2 different kinds- one where i went weekly x 6 weeks and one where I just went once but it took all day. The once and done would be my preference if I have to do it again. I think it's called Ferrocet. Good Luck!!
Natalie
ib40
on 6/22/12 5:38 am
Thanks so much for posting about your experience with the infusions. I have not had the wonderful energy boost that so many others talk about once they began to lose weight. I have been exhausted since the surgery and struggle to find the energy to get through the day. I'm eating lots of high-iron protein (in fact, it's almost the only type I consume) and it doesn't make a bit of difference.

I'm so glad the infusions made a difference for you! Even better, you don't have to do it all of the time.

Foxbins
on 6/22/12 6:52 am
My 6 month bloodwork had ferretin at 7--took oral supplements and got it to 17 where it has stayed for the past year.  My doc recommended heme iron for better absorption and less stomach issues.  It's really expensive so I am trying Bifera, a part-heme and part ferrous combination.  They aren't making me sick or giving me diarrhea the way the other ones did. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views