What can I expect in weight loss early on?

Christine45
on 6/23/12 5:15 am
On the day I started my liquid diet I was 294.6 and today 5 days after surgery I was 278.4.  But I think on the day of surgery I was like 282.  It seems that my weight loss has slowed down some.  I realize that this is a marathon and not a sprint but at this point still full of stitches and bruises I have nothing better to do than to worry...know what I mean...and I was just wondering if this is typical weight loss.

Also did anyone else have a hernia fixed at the same time?  They fixed one on me and it has been by far much more painful than the sleeve surgery.  The pain from the hernia repair seems to be slowing me down more than I expected.

Also, where is everyone getting the cute weight loss trackers?

Thanks,
Christine
dec721
on 6/23/12 7:04 am - Decatur, GA
VSG on 08/07/08 with
There really is no typical weight loss.  Just keep following your surgeon's guidelines to a tee, and the weight WILL come off.  Many people have a three-week stall; I didn't.  I didn't even think about stuff like that.  Keep your eyes on your long-term goal, and stay away from sugar and junk carbs (they will cause cravings), and you will do just fine :-)

And yes, Dr. Alvarez fixed what he called "an enormous hiatal hernia" while he was in there.  It did hurt for the first few days, but by the end of the first week I didn't have any more discomfort.  

Best wishes!

--Dorothy

P.S. Oh, and if you want a ticker like mine, you can just click on it and it will take you to their website where you can design one for yourself. 

Highest weight: 292   Pre-op weight: 265   Goal met: 150   Six years out: 185 and trying to lose again!

j45p3r
on 6/23/12 9:52 am
VSG on 05/10/12
 2 weeks pre op I started my liquid diet and lost 18 lbs. Post surgery I have been averaging 3.5 lbs per week (except .6 lbs on the week I stalled). I am 6 weeks post op, 8 weeks if you count the pre op diet and I am down 42 lbs.
HW: 360, Pre-Op Diet W: 334.6, SW: 316.6, CW: 245.4
Barbara W.
on 6/23/12 10:47 am - Upland, CA
VSG on 05/23/12
I had my sleeve on May 23rd, and I had a hernia repair at the same time.
They found the hernia while I was in surgery and did the repair.  You are
right when you say the hernia repair is more painful than the surgery.  Your
weightloss is much better than I had.  So far I have lost only 13 pounds. and
it is a bit depressing.  I am told that everyone is different. My hernia was
located right in the middle of my muffin top and my abdomen. Every time
I had to get up or down or bend it was painful, and really slowed me down
  Just don't weigh yourself every day. For the tracker just click on tools at
 the top of this page, and then click on tickers and widgets.  You can follow
it from there.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain