Surgery tomorrow- lots of things going through my head

Kabooboo
on 6/27/12 9:06 am
I need to be at the hospital at 5 am tomorrow for my VSG. My head is full of many thoughts! 
*I am looking forward to being a healthy weight, but to be honest I regret that my weight got to this point and after years of trying with my weight going up and down I have to admit it's not going to happen without this intervention.
*  I'm just a tiny bit nervous about this being irreversible, but the many people on this site who express no regrets have given me confidence. 
*I look forward to so many things, including being more physically active and being able to do lots of things that I can't right now. 
*I look forward to being able to date again-all of the women I know who were thin when they got divorced have found someone or are remarried, and all of the women who were overweight have not.
*I look forward to feeling in control of my eating. I am definitely a carb addict and I can stay away from carbs for months and lose weight and have no interest in food. Then I have something with carbs and I am back in full blown addiction.
I know there is lots of information and support on this site. I have read most of the posts on here for almost seven months, so I feel pretty well informed. I have 3 weeks off before I have some half day meetings (I am a teacher and I took most of this summer off to focus on me for a change) so I can really focus on adjusting to my sleeve and maybe having time to relax. 
I am ready!  I need to go clean my bedroom and bathroom so that I come back to a clean, calm environment. 
See you on the losers' bench!

morgans
on 6/27/12 9:08 am
VSG on 06/18/12
I'll be thinking of you!

Your first night has a good chance of being the worst night of your life. Just remember that "this too shall pass". People are STUNNED that I had major laproscopic surgery barely a week ago. The bloating is the worst - walk as much as you possibly can.

See you on the other side!

Kabooboo
on 6/27/12 9:40 am
Thanks- My weight today was 253. I have lost 36 pounds preop.  We are at a similar start weight. I am 5'4".  I hope that a week from today I can be relaxing and enjoying myself.

A. Hartford
on 6/27/12 9:18 am - KS
I understand alot of what you are feeling and can also 2nd that the gas pain is by far the worst but is lessened by getting up and moving!! Good luck!!
Kabooboo
on 6/27/12 1:10 pm
Thanks!

its4maya
on 6/27/12 9:35 am - Cypress, CA
I was sleeved a little over a year ago and it was the best decision ever! You will love your new life! The first few weeks are rough, but when you get back to school (I'm a teacher too and had my surgery last June so I could recuperate all summer)you will have so much energy. Get ready to love the new you!! Congrats!

Kabooboo
on 6/27/12 9:44 am
I have only told a couple of people at school. I hope to surprise everyone when school starts in September. I work so many hours during the school year- like 60 hours a week. I am hoping that the VSG and weight loss will help give me more energy.  Usually I work almost the whole summer doing trainings, being on committees, etc... This whole summer I am only working 10 full days and 7 half days. I've loaded up lots of books on my Nook!

its4maya
on 6/27/12 10:10 am - Cypress, CA
 Good for you for taking some time off...school is so consuming, I enjoy my summers to clear my head and hang with my own kids!   You have the perfect mind-set going in and are ready to rock the your sleeve!  

My funniest moment was when a parent walked into my classroom, probably around November, and said, "Mrs. Smith, are you okay?  I've noticed you have been losing weight and I hope you are okay and not having a health crisis."  She was so sweet and genuinely concerned about me.  I told her the truth and she looked very relieved and congratulated me.  

You will surprise everyone and start planning on your back-to-school wardrobe.  Don't buy too much too soon.  The first thirty pounds are easy to transition, it's after that where your pants will fall to the floor and your tops make you look 'dumpy'.  I have a great set of teacher friends who let me know when it was time to get rid of certain tops because they were just  too big.  I thought I could get away things but I guess not...and I'm okay with it!!

Enjoy your new journey!

louisamay
on 6/27/12 9:37 am
VSG on 04/27/12
You have a great understanding and attitude.  Good luck!

[I'm not gaining weight. I keep lowering my goal!] [I LOVE MY SLEEVE!]

Kabooboo
on 6/27/12 1:11 pm
Thanks so much!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views