Four months out and joined a gym!

LISA C.
on 6/27/12 9:16 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
I'm a little over four months out and down almost 50 pounds.  I'm excited with my loss!   I have not, however, been exercising, and it's time to start toning up the flab left behind.

I joined a great gym today that is completely non-threatening and non-intimidating.  It has three pools, lots of classes, and the usual weights and cardio equipment.  Next Thursday I have a fitness eval with a personal trainer and will get started, although I plan to go before that just to walk on the treadmill. 

I'm so nervous about starting; I hate being a newbie at anything and I know I'll make a fool of myself on the weight machines until I learn the routine and what to do. But I'm committed to persevering and taking the next step in my weight loss and fitness journey.  Now that I've lost a lot of weight, I feel more comfortable going to a gym and working out.  It's time to kick start the loss of the 37 pounds left to lose to get to goal, and I need to tone the body left behind :)

So wish me luck please and any suggestions on conquering this gym fear would be appreciated!
Diana M.
on 6/27/12 9:21 am - TX
VSG on 07/12/12
 Yay for going to the gym!  I love mine.

If you're going to work with a trainer, I've learned one absolutely essential thing.  Do NOT let them just assign a random trainer.  Sit down with the manager, discuss your challenges (weight loss surgery, low caloric intake, large amount of recent weight loss, and any other medical challenges, like asthma) and then ask if any of their trainers are specially trained and/or certified in working with those challenges.  (Being certified in corrective exercise is a big start).  The last, but MOST important, meet the trainers.  See if your personality mixes with theirs.  Simply put, you won't be motivated by someone that you don't like.  

If you're not going to work with a trainer, then I would do lots of research.  Swimming is a very good start, because it's full body and low impact.  

My husband is a BIG fan of JEFIT.com, they have sample workout routines, and they have good illustrations for how to do the exercises...plus you can download the app to your phone.

Good luck!!
TonjaTLC
on 6/27/12 10:25 am - Southlake, TX
You may make a fool of yourself(I have too) but at least your there unlike couch potato fools!!! You go!!!!!
Surgery Date:  April 4, 2012 Offical Starting Weight: 304      
Most Active