First Appointment with my surgeon tomorrow

MyTurn2012
on 6/27/12 3:41 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Not sure if I'll be able to sleep so excited!  It's been 8 months since I got the appointment...and now it's finally here!!! Hope there isn't a long waitlist for surgery too :-)  Anyone else having surgery on Vancouver Island?????
Luvnall3
on 6/27/12 5:32 pm

I had my first visit with my surgeon today. Not what I expected though. He rushed me and I didn't get to ask even half my questions. Anyways, good luck tomorrow. Ask lots of questions...
hope waitlist is short & sweet!

MyTurn2012
on 6/27/12 11:44 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Thank you for sharing your experience....I'm pretty sure I'll have a similar one :-(
I've heard that my surgeon is so busy you hardly get any time or even a one on one consult.  He has group appointments and I can expect to be waiting in his office for a long time for my appt..as he's never on time apparently. All that said,  I'm determined to do what I have to do to get a handle on my life long struggle with weight ! I read your blog..we look to be about the same size.  I wish I had the opportunity for WLS at your age, I've missed so much "living"!!! Robbed my kids of memories..not in photos...unable to participate in many activities.  I have 6 kids..the youngest are teenage girls..my youngest daughter has serious multiple health issues...not only do I need this surgery for me..but to be around to help her.  Stay in touch ..maybe we will be on the "losers bench" in no time!
Luvnall3
on 6/28/12 6:54 am
I hope your appointment went well and all your important questions got answered. I think my surgeon is so rushed and late, as well,  cause he is hard to get into see and pretty popular in my town for WLS. I will get my questions answered sooner than later if I have to stalk him in the parking lot. LOL, JK!  Anyways, I know thefeeling like you "missed out". I am only 31 buy I think about my high school and college years and regrets that I didnt date or go out or even keep friends, all due to my insecurities with my weight. That's why I think the time is now, for me and my kids. And for you too! We will be there for our children's futures. All the important things like grandkids and weddings, graduations. When I get nervous and think I will back out of this surgery, I think of missing the opportunity to see my daughters get married or graduate due to my health issues and not being around,  just the thought snaps me back to reality and I know that WLS is going to be the ONLY way I will live healthy in my future. We will get there together.! I look forward to being on the losers bench with you! I hope we can help eachother as we start this journey. Thanks for sharing your story as well, you & everyone her on  OH is very helpful!

31 yrs. old~Height : 5'4" HW: 265 * SW: 263 * CW: 181 * GW: 160

MyTurn2012
on 6/28/12 12:20 pm - Canada
VSG on 04/24/15
 Back from my appt! 2 1/2 hr drive each way lol. Was a bit of a wait...around an hour..but I expected that. I also felt rushed..but got most of my top questions answered.  One good thing is my surgery is covered so pretty much already approved.  BUT there is a looooong wait list...3-5 years! I almost cried..but then the surgeon said our provincial gov't is going to open up operating rooms to handle the waitlists..so I was told maybe just a year wait then.  I was given a list of books to read, will be seeing a nutritionist soon..told to go on MyFitnessPal.com to track myself. I'm to return to surgeons in Jan to see how well I've done (my quess to see if I'm dedicated or not). 

It's funny when I read what you said about your insecurities when you were young...I had some of those same feelings...I weighed about 145-150 @ 5'8"..and in my mind I was fat!  I was always the tall girl...and of course compared myself to the petite girls. My now exhusband planted more seeds at that time that I was big.  These thoughts alone perpetuated my ever increasing size.  I've done alot of work on my self internally, and know I am worth the effort to get healthy.  I also know I need this tool! I am not embarrased to say that either.  

The books my surgeon wants me to read are :
WLS for Dummies
When Food is Love
Women, Food and God

Are you now waiting for approval? Do you know your wait times?? Shoot I forgot to ask if he makes you do a preop liquid diet...oh well the NUT probably knows this. Add me to your friends list?  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views