Are gummy vitamins okay? Confused after searching boards!

ametzger
on 6/28/12 3:24 am - MI
VSG on 04/23/12
I am sorry if I am asking a question that has been asked before, but I searched for an answer on the boards and became more confused than ever!

Are gummy vitamins okay to take?  I have been taking the Celebrate chewable multivitamin and have always done great with them, but lateley it has been making me nauseated and they are tasting pretty funky.   Trader Joe's has a good gummy multivitamin and Costco sells the "Vitafusion MultiVite" that I was looking into trying.

Besides my daily multivitamin, I take Celebrate Iron + C, B12, Biotin, Calcium, and Vitamin D.

If the chewable vitamins are really the best to take, I will just have to learn to tolerate them.  

Thanks!

tscasto
on 6/28/12 3:28 am - Urbandale, IA
VSG on 03/22/12
my surgeon & NUT says no way! If you compare them to a complete chewable like flinstone complete you will find they are missing things.

in fatc when i found this out I quit giving my 6 yr. old the gummies even & now he takes the flinstone complete also.

talk to your surgeon & if they agree try the flinstone complete.
Tenille 

HW-248.8   SW-233.4  1M-216.2   4M- 188.6
ace30927
on 6/28/12 3:31 am - MD
My surgeon an Nut said no too. They told me to use the flinstones complete as well. My NUT said lots of times that the gummies are missing iron and other stuff just like tscasto said. The flinstones aren't horrible and work for me- I am not a pro just got sleeved on 06/15 but so far so good. :)

Jenfur
on 6/28/12 3:32 am
VSG on 06/25/12
Gummies also require you to take 4 a day (2 is a regular serving and we have to have 2 servings) and something like flintstones is only 2 a day.  I got the generic flintstones from walmart...150 for a little over $7.

Christine45
on 6/28/12 4:11 am
My nurse said yes to me, she said to take 4 like another person said and make sure to take additional iron.  She also said to chew them up really,really good.

Mom78
on 6/28/12 4:49 am
VSG on 02/10/12
 They don't have thiamine in them, I guess what makes normal chewables not taste so great!
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

morgans
on 6/28/12 4:50 am
VSG on 06/18/12
 My doc gave the green light to my Trader Joe's Gummy Vites. I take two in the am and two in the PM.

Chew chew chew if you don't swallow them straight away!

ametzger
on 6/28/12 4:59 am - MI
VSG on 04/23/12
 Do you by chance have the nutritional information for the vitamins?  I am going to call my nutritionist in the morning, but can't find the nut. info online. Trader Joes is almost 45 minutes away so I want to make it worth my trip if she says that TJs are okay. I think I once read that TJ gummy Vites DO have Thiamine in them?!?!

morgans
on 6/28/12 5:25 am
VSG on 06/18/12
They are basically L'il Critters Gummy Vites under the TJ's brand:

http://www.drugstore.com/lil-critters-gummy-vites-multi-vita min/qxp67653?catid=183228 

My doctor explained to me that because I do not have malabsorption that for the moment at least I shouldn't worry about the vitamins - just keep taking what I'm taking. I don't tolerate vitamin supplements very well, and normally I eat a wide range of healthy food so I do okay in my diet.

Obviously our diets the first couple of months are NOT going to help us get everything we need through food. I'm not sure anyone who is not already vitamin deficient need panic.

Emilyr0011
on 6/28/12 4:54 am
Both my surgeon and nutritionist say no to gummies.  They are incomplete.

Kelly from the Main Board recommends going by the ASMBS (American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons) guidelines for vitamins -  and these are MINIMUMS.  Check the guidelines and then check the bottle labels to make sure you're getting everything you need.

H - 5'4" SW 260 / CW 133 / GW 150 GOAL in 9 mo 11 days!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views