Go to the NUT and not listen? Why bother?

bluemems
on 6/29/12 2:02 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
I really do not understand this entire thing.  Why are people going to nutritioists and then NOT listening?  I know a lot of people on here have lost a lot of weight with very high protein and very little to no carbs, which over time is not really good for your body from everything I have read.  But then again, I am not a nutritionist and am not trying to give anyone advice on how to eat.  High protein, or not my body is a slower loser, it sucks big time, but doesn't seem to change no matter what I eat. 

I just don't understand why anyone is bothering with a nutritionist if they aren't going to follow the advice of someone that is trained to help people eat properly and lose weight.  If you are going to simply follow the advice of vets, which I am not saying is a bad thing, then don't waste time going to a nutritionist - just ask your questions on this boad and be done with it.  Sorry if I sound harsh, but I have seen so many posts lately of folks going to a NUT and then NOT FOLLOWING THEIR ADVICE.  It is just a waste of their time for you to go and then completely ignore what they are telling you.  Save your money, save your time, and theirs, and just follow what you are reading on every other post here.  Just remember, what works for one person does not always work for the next.

cece58
on 6/29/12 2:10 am - CA
 Not all Nutritionist are the same and not all doctors know a lot about nutrition. A nutritionist who studies current findings and current nutritional information is better informed than one that goes by old standards and teachings. The facts are in the results. If you are a slow loser, try another way. Try increasing your protein to 100 grams and keeping your carbs below 40 and see how that works for you. I would bet that you will lose a lot faster with higher protein and fewer carbs. You will also crave carbs less once you get the simple carbs out and only eat carbs from vegetables. I wouldn't want to take advise from a nutritionist who doesn't stay current.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Crabadams72
on 6/29/12 2:21 am - Silver Spring, MD
If NUTS honestly knew the correct science to eating then no one would need surgery period.
Many of us were forced to go due to insurance and the Dr's requirements. I did not follow my nut. I compared her info to another Dr who has had great success with sleeve patients.
When I had my 1 yr f/u my Dr was in awe that I lost like a RNY patient. Her expectations were far off from what I wanted out of the surgery.
VSG 6/10/2011  Dr. Ann Lidor BMore MD 5'5 HW-247 SW-233 GW-145 CW-120

http://www.youtube.com/user/72Crabadams   Me rambling about my journey : )

SleevedLife
on 6/29/12 2:22 am, edited 6/29/12 2:30 am
Based on the timing of this post, I wonder if this is a response to my thread...

I can't speak for others, but in my situation we see the NUT every single time we have a follow-up visit with the surgeon.   I am not making an appointment with the NUT and then just "wasting" her and my time.  I have to see her anytime I see my surgeon.  

I bet there are others like me that are "forced" to meet with the NUT every time they have a post-op follow-up appointment witht their surgeon.   Frankly, I wouldn't see the NUT if it wasn't part of the packaged-deal.

Your post does sound a bit harsh and unfair, but I think it is because you are basing it an some assumptions that aren't true.  If I made an appointment with my NUT and then went to see her and blew off all her advice, yes... that would be a waste of time.  But that isn't what is happening.  I wouldn't assume this is the case for anyone who posts here questing their NUTs advice.  Why leap to that conclusion?

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

rhearob
on 6/29/12 2:31 am - TN
 Actually I am doing the High Protein Low Carb diet exactly as prescribed by my NUt and My surgeon.  It has worked extremely well for me - and I have the labs and weight loss to prove it.

Some people just want to believe that they they know their body/their minds/their life better than anyone else so why not make up their own minds.  What they aren't realizing is that is the same behavior that got them to where they were to begin with.  Some people just aren't ready for change.

All that said, I have seen some people on here posting absolutely insane advice from different NUTs.  You have to realize, like someone else said, all NUTs are not created equal.  If you are getting what sounds like really wonky advice - seek a second opinion.  IF your NUT and surgeon are disagreeing - make them work it out.  You are ultimately responsible for the decisions you make - good and bad.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Evymetalmommy
on 6/29/12 2:38 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
I'm refusing to see my NUT from here on out.  Everytime I have met with her she gives me conflicting information.  The last time she wanted me to keep to 40g of carbs a day (no problem doing that already).  Then she gave me a recipe to cook for dinner that has a whopping 36g of carbs for one meal.  ONE MEAL. 

She constantly would tell me things that made no sense. 

So I am going with what works for me.
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

stephintexas
on 6/29/12 3:19 am
My thread I just made is really going to get you riled up 

PluggingAlong
on 6/29/12 3:23 am
 I told my NUT (who I was required to see at my check-ups) that I intended to follow a high protein low carb diet and that I would be using half and half in my coffee and regular mayo in my tuna etc ... and he said "Great. That's what I would recommend personally but I have to teach the clinic's plan" I was also frustrated that my clinic's plan for VSG patients was exactly the same as a RNY patient (and I went to Duke which is a pioneer in the weight loss sector and are a Bariatric Center of Excellence.) It even said RNY plan on the top of the pages. So that is the reason THIS successful VSG'er didn't follow my nuts plan. Just my experiene.

Consult Weight-323 / SW- 312 / CW-173/ GW-155
Starting BMI: 65.2 Current BMI: 34.9

Mom78
on 6/29/12 4:01 am
VSG on 02/10/12
For the same reason we didn't listen to our friends, family, primary care, cardiologist, and so on when they said we either needed to lose weight or stop gaining.

We can do it all on our own, they can't be right, yada yada yada...

I don't know who's plan is right, but I trusted my surgeon and nut enough to start their plan, I will trust them now.

Now if they were suggesting I eat white bread, pasta, rice, cookies, and cake, thats a different story.  That would have been my fault in picking them in the first place.

If you think the nut visit isn't worth it, then tell the surgeon, even if its a forced visit.  You truly are wasting yours and their time!
                   SW: 227              GW: 150            HT: 5'6"  

bluemems
on 6/29/12 5:20 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/12
Thanks for all the replies everyone.  Love the feedback.  Like I said, I didn't understand why all the talk about going to the NUT and not following.  Makes more sense now hearing that some are required to go each time they go to the doctor.  My trip was a suggestion of my doctor because low carb - high protein was producing a slow weight loss for me.  I really like to understand how people come/came to their decisions to do it they way they are - I think this really helps a lot of people that may be confused as I am.  This is why I said what works for one does not work for the other.

Low carb/high protein was not working for me (well, it was slow).  Went to the nut who of course upped everything.  My decision was to follow it for 1 month to see if it helps.  Trust me, if I don't see good numbers back to high protein/low carb I go.

Also, I was not pointing to any "one" post, there have just been a lot of posts lately that say they went to the nut who upped their numbers and they don't want to follow it - followed by a question to all as to what they should do.

Honestly, I really do appreciate the feedback - this is al learning.  Yes, my carbs are coming from whole wheat / vegetables / and fruits - not junk carbs. :)

Keep up the postings.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 408 views