carbs

peeches35
on 6/29/12 2:43 am
VSG on 04/03/12
Calories and carbs, SO sick of counting them am doing good with the calories sometimes only doing 800 a Day but my carbs be way over 60, so my questions is are there anyone out there that do not count carbs and still have a great weight loss i will be 3 months post op next week.

SO INLOVE WITH MY SELF

rhearob
on 6/29/12 2:47 am - TN
 What are your protein numbers?  Are you posting on MFP?  If you'd like some help with suggestions PM me.  

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

(deactivated member)
on 6/29/12 2:50 am
What are your protein numbers? That's most important. Carbs can trigger hunger in a lot of people and if you are eating too many during weight loss your body will use those extra carbs for energy rather than using your stored fat.
So, if you don't want to count carbs and eat a carby diet, then be prepared for your fat loss to slow down.
stephintexas
on 6/29/12 3:15 am, edited 6/29/12 3:15 am
Carbs were my downfall. After month 3, I "added" them back in and stopped counting and here I am 3 months later and down only 10 more pounds.

Shagdoll
on 6/29/12 3:35 am, edited 6/29/12 3:35 am
In my experience, I tend to not have to count every carb gram but this is because I do focus on high protein. Usually after I log my food diary on MFP, I tend to be around 20-30 grams of carbs. Usually my carb grams come from cottage cheese, plain greek yogurt, almond milk & a splash of 1% milk I use in my coffee. Everything else I eat is very low carb so it takes the guess work out so I don't have to worry about going over.

Jenn  

WWBD?  

peeches35
on 6/29/12 4:10 am
VSG on 04/03/12
thanks for the advice am going to try the almond milk and try my best to cut down on the carbs it just seem like everything i eat has lots of carbs

SO INLOVE WITH MY SELF

Emilyr0011
on 6/29/12 4:16 am
The thing is this - protein is the most important nutrient you need right now, so counting really is important whether it's carbs, cals, protein, fat, whatever.

So let's take your 800 cals and break it down...

You say you get way over 60 grams of carbs a day.  Carbs have 4 cals per 1 gram, so if we say you're eating around 80-100 carbs a day, that's 320-400 cals for carbs.  That's almost 1/2 of your daily cals for carbs alone, so that's only leaving 400-480 cals to be divided between protein and fats (and we need our healthy fats, too - olive oil, coconut oil, and such).  That's just too much for carbs, imo.

Protein also has 4 cals per gram, so that 80 gram minimum should really be your focus - 320 cals for protein minimum.  If you count nothing else, at least count your protein.

Frankly, in my opinion, counting protein, carbs, cals, fats, etc. is VITAL to success with this surgery.  And I know that counting, meal planning, logging, exercising, all that gets sooooo ooooooold sometimes - I can feel that way too.  But when I see the scale dropping and the changes in my body, I know that all the crap is worth it! 

H - 5'4" SW 260 / CW 133 / GW 150 GOAL in 9 mo 11 days!

Crissy327
on 6/29/12 4:37 am - NC
Well since you asked, no I have never counted anything. Maybe I would have done better if I did. I will never know.

I did learn for me though, I have to meet my protein quota. I stopped doing my protein shakes when I first started nursing school and did not lose a single pound during that two weeks! And, I was only 4 weeks out from my surgery and was losing like 5lbs a week at that time! I could kick myself over that. He He   It's much, much harder to lose that 10lbs now, let me tell ya. He He.

So, honestly, I never counted anything except scoops. I know I need 3 scoops of protein shake a day to meet my goal of 70 grams of protein a day. That's it. That's all I have ever counted, but I have counted that every single day since I learned how important protien is to my success. It's super easy though. I avoided carbs all I could stand it and got in my 3 scoops of protein in. Easy peasy. He He. I had just started a very rigorous program at school and had no time for tracking this and that. Now I am a pound from my goal and half way through nursing school too. It's all good.

I really think if one has the time to track all of that, that's really the way to go. If you just are not in a position or the type to do all of that, my advice is be sure you get your 3 scoops of protein in every day and avoid carbs as much as you can. It worked for me anyway.

Good luck on your journey. You will do great. Enjoy the ride.
On my way!!!!!!

Crissy    
Rachel G.
on 6/29/12 5:27 am
VSG on 04/06/12
I use Myfitnell pal to count for me, however I will say that since my surgery, I have made it a mission to stear clear of carbs in general, because as I have found for MYSELF, they are ADDICTING! I was a big beans and rice girl before vsg, but now i don't do either, especially the rice. But last week i made some for the hubby and snuck a bite, well after that, i was craving rice, kep taking little bites here and there and for the next few days I was craving like crazy. I am only almost three months post op, but will tell you this, we are still newbies and the habits we are setting now are vital for success in the long run. Gud luck to you, Im right there with ya!

Sandy S.
on 6/29/12 6:25 am
I agree with everyone that carbs are the kiss off death to weight loss.  I use Fitness Pal to keep me honest and when the carbs go up my weight loss slows drastically.  Best of luck

"Step by step the longest march can be won,"  Sweet Honey and the Rock- Peace, San  HW 463 Surgery: 6/13/11; SW 413      
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 377 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 415 views