Any advice?

ursuladoll
on 7/2/12 8:57 am - San Jose, CA
so excited to have found this site. i decided to do something about my overweight problem last week. looking for any good advice..... have a great day!!!!
Shagdoll
on 7/2/12 9:08 am
Welcome!!! You've come to the right place. There are a lot of successful & supportive people on this VSG board. For me, the sleeve is the best thing I ever could have done for myself. It's still work but the sleeve is an amazing tool & has changed my life for the better.
Best of Luck in whatever you decide.
Hope to see you around here often!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/12 9:11 am
Welcome to the board! I've got lots of advice, but what specifically are you looking for in the way of information? If you ask a more detailed question, you're likely to get more answers from posters.
Again, welcome. As Jenn wrote, you've come to the right place!

ursuladoll
on 7/2/12 9:33 am - San Jose, CA
thanks girls!!!!! you make me feel so welcomed. you are so kind to offer advice and share your experience. one thing i'm sure about is if i should try to lose some weight before the surgery or not. does that make a difference?
Bf516
on 7/2/12 9:33 am
Welcome to OH site!

Feel free to browse around other posts & ask any questions u may have
time4me2now
on 7/2/12 10:03 am
VSG on 05/24/12
Check into what your insurance requires.  Many require a 3 or 6 month doctor supervised weight loss program before you can be approved for the surgery.  You can always change your mind at any point.  But I just wanted to make you aware that this is a process with a lot of requirements attached, so I didn't want you to be surprised by the wait time that is involved.

HW 266  SW 243  CW 161  

Prple
on 7/2/12 10:10 am - VA
VSG on 07/17/12 with
I'm not sleeved yet... Date is July 17th. Every surgeon is different in what they expect. My goal was to lose 25 lbs during my 90 day program.... I worked hard and lost 16. However while he is happy with my progress he wants a little bit more... So I'm on a two week optifast diet.

So should you lose weight.... Of course.... But my suggestion is that f you are planning to be sleeved or other procedure that you get started with your surgeon to document where you are today... Find out what they expect... Layout your plan going forward!

Good luck!

moonglo82
on 7/2/12 10:12 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Welcome!

The first thing I would do is determine whether or not your insurance covers weight loss surgery. If they do, great! Start looking for a surgeon and finding out what their requirements are, as well as that of the insurance company. If not, don't give up! Lots of us are self pay and have found ways to finance the surgery, and costs can vary tremendously depending on where you have it and other factors.

As far as losing weight before surgery, there are factors that go into that as well. Once you have a doctor set up, they can tell you how much they want you to lose in advance, if any. Generally, however, the healthier you can be by the day of surgery, the better off you'll be.

Good luck!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

ursuladoll
on 7/2/12 11:25 am - San Jose, CA
not insured. i've been unemployed for over a year. i'm looking for financing options.
moonglo82
on 7/2/12 11:34 am
VSG on 03/29/12
When you find a surgeon that you like, he or she will have staff that can point you in the right direction for some financing options.

I ended up having my surgery in Mexico, and it was the best decision I ever made.  The surgery cost about half the price that it would have in the US, and I got excellent care.  Having said that, you have to be careful no matter where you decide to have the surgery, because there are great doctors and terrible ones both at home and abroad.

When you think you have some ideas about who you might want to use, I highly recommend coming on here and asking, because if people have been here posting horror stories about someone, people will be pretty quick to tell you about it.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views