HAIR LOSS HELP NEEDED

kimm74
on 7/5/12 7:32 am
 I am 4 mos post op and over the past month have begun to lose A LOT of my hair.  I have gotten biotin vitamin and also some prenatal vitamins (as that helped with my hair and nails when pregnant).... my hair salon told me to get some biotin shampoo too...

Has anyone experienced this and what did you do that helped?

I am nervous because I am not interested in wearing a wig :)
USAF Wife
on 7/5/12 7:41 am
Nothing is going to stop it.

The biotin shampoo is a waste of money. And, Biotin will make hair on your entire body grow, not just your head so if you have any "hair growth" issue anywhere else, just be aware that tweezing, shaving, waxing might be needed more frequently.

Staying on top of your vitamins, nothing in prenatals will do anything more than what a good quality complete adult multi vitamin with iron and zinc would do, but if prenatals don't make you sick or stop you up in the bowel department they can't hurt you.

I lost half of my hair by volume for 3 solid month it shed severely. It all grew back by 16-18 months post-op. The only change is that my hair was super wavy, almost curly pre-op, now it's stick straight.

I used Folicure extra care shampoo to keep my scalp clear of build up.

Eating a good solid protein filled diet with healthy fats, helps way more.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

Jenmc_70
on 7/5/12 7:44 am - TN
It just happens.. I thought I was a cancer patient with the amount of hair I was losing. Keep up with your protien and your vitamins. There isnt anything you do about it,.Your body is adjusting to your weight loss. I am 10 months post op and it's still growing back in. The Biotin didnt work,.. I tried that. You just have to let you body do what it needs to do I know how you feel.. i was devistated when it started falling out like it. I knew it could happen my doctor told it was possible it's  a side affect of the surgery. I cried when I looked at my hair brush the first time it happened. Just know it over time it will stop. Comb your hair when it's wet dont bru**** Good luck..
Carmelita
on 7/5/12 8:31 am - Four Corners, NM
wls2011
on 7/5/12 9:10 am - Ballston Lake, NY
Unfortunately, nothing I tried helped...and I did the Nioxin shampoo & conditioner & the Biotin vitamins...and I kept up pretty good on my protein....I still lost a ton of hair....it got very sparse looking....I did look sickly for awhile and it was depressing....the good news is I didn't go bald, and never resorted to a wig......and it is growing back albeit slowly.

It is growing in thicker, and super curly, which is so weird, since it was always straight. I hate the curl and have to fight it constantly...cause it sticks out, very poofy like especially around the ears....it is thicker now than it is long....which of all the things I did post op, I regret cutting my hair super short when I was stressed about how thin it looked....so I don't recommend a pixie cut to make it look thicker....I mean it did look better for the time being, but now it is taking excruciatingly long to get any length back.

Alain Polynice Arm Lift & Revision BL 4/15/15

Alain Polynice Hernia Repair, Revision TT, Lipo Flanks 5/28/14

Dr. Lee Gallbladder Removal 5/28/14

Francisco Sauceda  TT & BL  6/3/13

Mitchell Roslin VSG 5/12/11

Carmelita
on 7/5/12 9:30 am - Four Corners, NM
 BIOTIN...or hair nails skin type deals ARE INDEED beneficial during the regrowth stage. So maybe get back on the biotin.  Nioxin.. worthless...at any stage. 
ND2BTHN
on 7/5/12 10:38 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 It is definitely not fun. Mine just started coming out like crazy over the last few weeks too. I find that mine comes out faster when freshly washed. I mean like a handful of hair just between washing, combing, and blow drying. What most would pull out of the shower drain in a month, I pull out in one shower now. So I have started to go longer between washings, to try to slow it down a bit. Mine is just about 2 inches below my shoulder in length, and has always been fairly thick, so you really can't notice anything yet. I am used to losing a steady amount of hair due to my adrenal fatigue syndrome, but this is way more than I had ever experienced. I am going through a ton of swiffers now, because hair on the floor is my biggest pet peeve. My fear is having it come out in large chunks, and leaving bare spots. I try not to let it freak me out, and ignore it, but I must admit it takes a bit to get used to. My poor husband says he finds my hair all over him too. Even in his underwear one day.
I guess this really does mean, he take a piece of me with him, everywhere he goes.

From what I understand this is just part of the process, and we will not go bald. I heard once, that it is caused from our bodies need to redirect the nutrients our hair needs, to other more important areas. Hair isn't considered a priority when we have a brain and vital organs to nourish. Once our weight start to stabilize, and we consume more calories, and vitamins from our food sources, more nutrients are then redirected back to the hair. Till then, we have to just go with the flow.

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
Anne D.
on 7/5/12 12:30 pm
The only thing that works is time, wait it out, it will stop eventually. In the mean time keep up your protein and think about a new haircut. I've been there, it sucks, it does grow back thankfully.

byoungatheart
on 7/5/12 5:44 pm - Seattle, WA
VSG on 04/02/12 with
 i am there right now too.  i have started to dread showering because of the handfuls of hair i get when I rinse, when I comb it after I get out and after I blow dry.  !  I am worried because I am 3 months out and am scared this is just the beginning and I will go bald.  No one can tell yet - I had thin hair to begin with.  I am really focusing on my protien, multivitamins w biotin, fish oil, etc.  I did buy some of the "hair regrowth" products - but don't think it will make a difference.  Why can't hats come back in fashion?  

I have also started using a little of the thickening powders to cover up where it is really sparse - like my part area up front.  They work good if you use sparingly.

Just knowing I am not alone in this is helpful!  Hang in there!

Starting weight 289, Pre-Op 274, Month 1: 252, Month 20 - 173  -   find me on myfitnesspal: newme1875

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 392 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 423 views