Nut frustration!

CallieBear
on 7/6/12 2:46 am - Greer, SC
VSG on 06/13/12
 I am so tired of asking questions only to be told that she doesn't like this or that.  I am 3 weeks post op.  Finally started puréed foods Thursday and I called to ask her how to best figure the protein from food since the chicken is puréed but drained until the consistency of applesauce. And so are my green beans.  She said I don't want you counting your protein from food.  Just eat 6 meals a day and all counted protein comes from supplements.  
I said ok but then told her that I made a protein shake this morning with 1 cup of original almond milk 60 calories, 1 gram of protein, 2.5 fat.  1 cup of ice, 40 grams of power max protein and it ended up being closer to 36 ounces by the time the blender finished it.  I also had to add about 4 ounces of ff milk to thin it out so it would finish blending.  I told her I had been sipping on it every few minutes but it has taken me nearly 3 hours to finish.   
Then comes the scolding.  I dont want you using almond milk.  Juice is for babies and Almond milk is juice and not milk.  It is added calories and to use soy or skim milk.  Then she said I need to sip on my shake in between my 6 meals and since I can not drink 30 mins before or after a meal, I would have not finished this shake for 4 hours or longer.  The goal is to get in 6 meals. 
If I eat purred chicken or something like that, I will be too full to drink even an hour after a meal?
She has pressed so hard to get 80 grams of protein in and I finally have accomplished 80 the last few days due to changing to almond milk.  
I know she is the final authority on things but I have so much I want to ask her but when  I can't even finish a sentence without her scolding me or really giving me a reason other than, because I said so, it just makes me want to find other sources of information.  I am counting my fluids, protein, fat, sugar and watching calories.  More like comparing them if I can't handle one thing

Becky Calliebear is my cat :)    Surgery date 6/13/2012 
Highest 349.  Pre-op diet 339.5.  Current 308  Pre surg weight requirement 322. (by 6/5/12)
vogue
on 7/6/12 2:52 am
VSG on 08/30/12
why do you think SHE, the NUT, is the final authority on things?? Almond Milk is NOT juice... that statement alone ticks me off.... there are poeple with adversions, dislikes and allergies.... such people cow's milk.... I wonder what she'd say to them given that her diet is so strict and her attitude is a simple do as I say....
USAF Wife
on 7/6/12 2:52 am, edited 7/6/12 2:56 am
I'm going to write this as gently as possible:

She is NOT the final authority, and I would have a serious discussion with your surgeon if this is who he/she is sending you to. Nutritionist make suggestions, and have "guidelines" for post-ops. YOU are an individual with individual needs and a cookie cutter plan that is shoved down people's throats causes panic and confusion and above ALL frustration.

I have never heard of most of this advice in my entire life, it's absurd, not counting protein from food sources? That's ridiculous, a lot of surgeons want their patients OFF protein supplement ASAP and to ONLY use food as primary source for protein so they do not run into this issue of hydration. Soy milk isn't all that great, I can't tolerate and now with all the GMO and hormone issues with soy I avoid it all like the plague. I am lactose intolerant so regular milk is out too. What do people use then?? Almond milk is a good source of calcium as well.

I'm really sorry, but I'd find a new nutritionist if you truly need one. I did the pre-op little consult, visited two after surgery, got one of them moved to a different department because she was an idiot and the other was "okay" we got along, and she wasn't a blooming idiot so I tolerated her little speel about what I was doing and that I need to eat more because I was losing too fast. We agreed to disagree and I never went back. I did need to nor want to.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

trayb17
on 7/6/12 2:52 am
VSG on 01/05/12
Sorry, but I think you need support not scolding. At 3 weeks out I was very reliant on protein shakes, there was no way I was getting in my protein from meals. I could barely eat an ounce and a half of protein. Hopefully a vet will come along with some advice. Your nut is there to help you and I would let her know that you don't appreciate being scolded when you are seeking advice! I hate confrontattion so if I couldn't tell her to her face than I would send an email to her and cc your surgeon. Good luck!
Feystorm
on 7/6/12 3:27 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I am almost 4 months out - and still have protein shakes ****d coffee) at least once a day.  I couldn't get near my required protein requirement without both the food AND the shakes.  

I would ask for a referrall to a new NUT - due alone to the rudeness!!

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

chickerson605
on 7/6/12 3:32 am - La Vergne, TN
I'm shaking my head. My surgeon told me I could use Unsweetened Almond Milk or Unsweetened Coconut milk for my shakes. When I went back to see the nutritionist at his office she encouraged me to use the Coconut Milk which is what I use for all of my shakes now because it's lower in carbs. I was also told to count my protein and carbs.

I have never been scolded and if I were I'd have plenty to say back. One don't treat me like a child I am a patient and I"m paying you to give me good information and not a scolding. I could see if you weren't following the plan or cheating but seems like you are going by the book. Sounds like "miss smarty pants" needs a good kick in them.

I wonder why it's different information from office to office. Would't it be better for all patients if there were a "standard of care".

Diana M.
on 7/6/12 3:42 am - TX
VSG on 07/12/12
The only thing my NUT has done is try to sell me their package of vitamins......I'm glad I was able to find other resources.
AdeanaMarie
on 7/6/12 4:58 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Is there another nutritionist you can talk to at your surgeon's office? Mine has 3 different ones and I have seen all three, just because that is how they were scheduled. I liked all three, but definitely preferred one of them and that is who I will see going forward. Being gluten free, liquid soy free and liquid dairy free, I am so thankful my nutritionist listens to me. If you do not have someone else to go to, express your frustration to them and see what happens from there. Perhaps they do not realize they are not listening to your needs.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

CallieBear
on 7/6/12 6:21 am, edited 7/6/12 6:22 am - Greer, SC
VSG on 06/13/12
 Wow, I am really surprised that I didn't get reamed.  I was actually afraid to come see what was posted since I have already been scolded lol.  I only have one Nut in our bariatric center.  I am trying to follow her guidelines and resources she provided in making it easier to get in the protein.  I just don't understand how or why almond milk is wrong when the nutrition label has the following.
1 cup serving 1% milk has 100 calories, 2.5 fat grams, 12 carbs, 11 sugars, 8 protein....
1 cup of Plain almond milk has 60 calories, 2.5 fat grams, 8 carbs, 1 fiber, 7 sugars, 1 protein.

How do I choose which is best for me?  When I did Atkins, almond milk would have been the better of the two based on sugar and carb count.  I am adding Protein to the almond milk which I thought would be ok.  I did read the label.  
I want to know how to choose foods based on the nutrition labels if that is all I have to go by.  My dad hated green peas, but never were we told that they were bad.  He just didnt eat them.  I don't want to be told the I can never have gum again solely based on someone else who has swallowed gum and it caused a blockage.  I understand the risks and only chew a fourth of a piece and I am extra careful.  

I know that there are preferences and beliefs that range from doctor to doctor and from one nut to another.   I would prefer to focus on nutrition rather than personal preferences.  
She said no straws, but would not discuss it.  People on here vary, some say it makes you swallow too much air.  I swallow more air when sipping and less air with a straw.  Gum is also an emphatic NO but it keeps me from thinking about food and helps me wait 30 mins before and after a meal before I drink. Also does not seem to cause too much air in my sleeve or no discomfort.  Each person is different and I really just want guidance on things like... What ratio should I be looking at when I select a food.  How much fat, protein, calories, carbs in relation to servings.   I am a long term Atkins dieter.  All I did was was eliminate carbs and pick higher fiber to offset carbs.  I don't know the correct way to eat.  That is what I need from her.  Not nit picky stuff that does not matter.  

Becky Calliebear is my cat :)    Surgery date 6/13/2012 
Highest 349.  Pre-op diet 339.5.  Current 308  Pre surg weight requirement 322. (by 6/5/12)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 402 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 429 views