Please tell me I can do this

breiman
on 7/16/12 3:12 am - IL
Well I am nearing the end of my 6 month supervised diet.  Today I check in for month 5.  I have not done well as there have been a lot of hurdles such as marital problems, vacation, depression and so on.  I working on dealing with all of these issues but I am afraid it takes more than the six months to fix.  I have made improvements like cutting out sugar as much as possible, increasing activity, and going to counseling to conquer marriage and depression issues.  But as my surgery approaches, I'm worried about failure.  I am a revision from a slipped lap band to the vsg.  I never experienced success with the band over 36lbs and am now starting to wonder...Will I fail this too?  Will this be easier than with the band?  I never reached the "sweet spot" with the band.  I was either so tight that I could barely get down liquids or too loose where I could eat anything-almost like the band wasn't there.  I want this to work sooo bad.  I want to lose this excess weight and actually learn to enjoy life.  I am so held back by my weight and have so many things I want to do.  I'm not sure I could handle failing at the vsg too.  Any encouragement would be appreciated. 
rhearob
on 7/16/12 3:20 am - TN
Simple answer:  YES, You Can Do this.

Long Answer:  The issues wyou had with the band are irrelevant concerning the sleeve.  They are both restrictive procedures, but the similarities end there.  You have a ost of other tools that come along with the sleeve that will help you manage your weight.

The hard part about losing and losing for life, and I have been in maintenance for a total of 2 days now - so take the life part with a grain of salt, is working on your head issues.  That is a continuous process that we have to follow all along.  You cant possibly complete all of those before surgery - its a lifelong change.  What you can do before surgery is start putting the pieces in place:  Attend support groups, look into private counseling, etc.  Its getting the head piece under control that is the real key.  Once you start getting a handle on your food issues - diet and exercise start coming naturally.

At least thats my experience.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kevin H.
on 7/16/12 3:24 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 The VSG doesnt even compare to the band.  I'm soooo thankful my surgeon talked me out of that and to go with the VSG.  There are so many people with the band that have your same situation I don't even know how they can still be doing that procedure.  

You CAN do this .. its so much easier with the sleeve.  Best wishes to you.

Pobearsam7
on 7/16/12 3:36 am
It's good that you started working on some issues that may affect or interfer w/ your wls once you have the vsg... Try to stay positive and remain committed to life change after the vsg..,
Kevini agree w/ you... I don't know how they are still doing the lap band... I never had one but just being on this. Forum I was overwhelmed by so many revisions from the lap band ,,

Kelly                

melz1974
on 7/16/12 5:07 am
VSG on 07/10/12

You can totally do this!!  Hell, if I can do this it should be a breeze for you.  I was originally going to do the lap band and read all of the issues about it and opted for the Sleeve (which just became available in January).  For me, it seemed like the best surgery.  I just had surgery a week ago, I'm down 6 lbs since my surgery and I'm still in the recovery process.  You already know what surgery will be like since you've gone through the band surgery.  I'd never had surgery before...so I was really kinda clueless.  It's been better than I expected. You'll do just fine!!  Don't stress out over it!!  :) 

Sleeved July 10th ~ My independence day!
Highest Weight: 302, Consult Weight:298 Surgery Weight:263 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 306 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 351 views