Is it ok to eat Pork skins/cracklins?

Zacki F.
on 7/17/12 5:13 am - LA
VSG on 06/12/12

I'm wondering if it's ok to eat pork skins or cracklins.  I'm a lil past a month post op and getting ready to go on vacation.  Dr. orders says regular foods at this point but I don't want to eat anything that would slow my progress.  I'm trying to find a few items to take for the road trip.

Birdie55
on 7/17/12 5:39 am
They were on the DO NOT EAT list that my surgeon provided.  However, I've read that some people eat them.  I don;t like the idea of eating fried fat, so I never tried them.  

Ht 5' 4  SW 181  GW 120 - 125  Age 61  CW 130

Edit   Delete          

Happy966
on 7/17/12 5:43 am

They are almost all fat, and high calorie.  I *love* them, but haven't had any since before surgery.  The satisfaction per calorie just isn't there for me.

If you are looking for portable foods, I would try beef jerky and Starkist tuna salad in a pouch (90 calories, 11 g protein).  Get a small cooler bag and pack some RTD protein shakes, some hard boiled eggs, individual size cottage cheese. 

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

Zacki F.
on 7/17/12 5:52 am - LA
VSG on 06/12/12
Thanks ladies, I will definitely stay away from those. 

Carmelita
on 7/17/12 6:10 am - Four Corners, NM
 IF you have a gallbladder....best avoid these THROUGH the rapid fat loss phase. Altho glycine (skin)..which is xlnt for those bile/gallbladder issues...the sat fat content in chicharrones...is NOT/counter productive!  same goes for any processed animal product...hot dogs, any sausages, bacon, pork...high sat fats.....best be avoided during the rapid fat loss phase IF you have a gallbladder, and want to avoid another surgery...since our livers are producing 2-3x the normal daily cholesterol/bile.

SuzanneR
on 7/17/12 6:15 am - Randolph, NJ
I ate them a few times when I was about 2 months out and letme tell you I was in pain! They did not agree with my sleeve at all. And they also didn't taste as delicious as I rememebred them.

Evymetalmommy
on 7/17/12 9:21 am - LA
VSG on 04/19/12
Jerky!!!  I swear that is my staple for my long car rides. 
incredibleshrinkingevy.blogspot.com/ My Blog!!

Vicki J.
on 7/17/12 12:15 pm - VA
I've eaten a small handful several times since my surgery a little more than a year ago and have had no issues whatsoever.  When I need a crunch they're way better than potato chips!

-Vicki

SD: 07/07/11     Height:  5'9-1/2"     SW: 283     GW:  170     Current Weight:  167

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views