My hair is falling out like crazy...Help!

nmcewen
on 7/18/12 7:11 am - CA
VSG on 10/17/11 with
Does anyone have a good treatment for hair? It is falling out and I cannot stop it. Shampoo ideas?
Nicole    
Black_Irish_Girl
on 7/18/12 7:15 am
no shampoo idea, sorry.  i know mine was falling out until about two months ago... i had surgery 11 months ago.  my PA told me it was just a result of the surgery and decreased protein right after surgery.  she said it would only last 2-3 months...  mine is finally growing back and it is curly now... not sure if that is good or bad.

BIG dee

52 yrs old, 5'2" HW & SW: 235 CW: 134 Personal Goal: 125

For those who may not know... Black Irish is a brown eyed brunette of Irish descent.  My sister got the red hair and green eyes... 

ND2BTHN
on 7/18/12 7:22 am - Canada
VSG on 01/16/12
 Nothing will stop it unfortunately. I was told to take zinc for hair loss by my surgeon but my stomach wouldn't tolerate it. All you can do it keep your protein over 70g to help slow down the effects. I like to keep mine around 90-100g. I also found it seems to fall out faster, when I freshly wash my hair, so I am spacing my washings out an extra day or two to help slow it down a bit. Other than that, you just have to wait it out. 

HW: 235   SW:227   Preopw:218   GW:120   HT:5'3  
nsblue
on 7/18/12 7:30 am - Brookfield. NS, Canada
as stated with the others nothing can prevent the hair loss...it will happen.... due to rapid weight loss as well as anesthetic from surgery.
I personally took biotin...it helps promote hair growth...i now have so many lil hairs coming in i had to stop taking it. 

Be fore-warned it promotes hair growth where you grow hair...if you have alot of body hair...it possibly could promote growth there too ok?

1london
on 7/18/12 7:41 am
Time and sufficient protein is all that will help.  I also took/take zinc and the good news it does all correct itself.
A price I was happy to pay for that time- to be where I am now! :)
I know it is a little scary, but hang in there...it will come back.

emelar
on 7/18/12 7:42 am - TX
Google "telogen effluvium."  Several sites explain the hair loss issue.

There really isn't anything you can do but maybe get a shorter layered cut to make you hair look fluffier.  Nioxin shampoos and biotin will help the new hair growth, but there's no shortcut. 
4evercaligrl
on 7/18/12 8:45 am
 When it happened to me the first time (im a revision so going through it for the second time now...) I was scared to touch or brush my hair.  I pretty much left my scalp alone.  Was even careful putting my shirts on because I didnt want it to pull out more hairs.  Then I found out that was probably making it worse.  scalp needs stimulation.  So now, even though I get clumps out every time and it freaks me out, I am constantly massaging my scalp, brushing my hair etc.  Hopefully it wont be as bad this time, but last time it lasted years (again that could have been because I wasnt touching it...dont know).

Good luck!

vocalcoach
on 7/18/12 10:34 am - MD
I had surgery about 7 months ago and mine started falling out about 2 months post op and hasn't stopped yet...=(  I hate that I've lost so much but wouldn't change the surgery experience for it any day!  I take biotin and I get over 90 g of protein a day but I lost the weight really fast which is why I have lost so much hair...hoping it stops soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views