I'm a bit baffled....

newme_38
on 7/24/12 10:07 pm - Randallstown, MD
VSG on 06/12/12

So I'm still standing on the scale almost everytime I walk past it.  I know that's not good.  But I am noticing from my morning weight, the scale is creeping down.  However if I come back and weigh myself in the afternoon or evening it's like a few pounds higher.  What's bother ing me my surgeon appointments are in the evenings........

I'm just thinking I need the first appointment in the morning.

Happy966
on 7/24/12 10:37 pm

We all gain weight throughout the day.  I have heard we dehydrate the most during the night while we sleep - we aren't drinking, and we produce more urine while lying flat (seriously! I heard this).  So we get up all dehydrated, weigh, and then start drinking. 

Yes, I confess, I hate evening appointments for just that reason.  I have to remind myself that's just my craziness talking.  But I always make morning appointments so I'll be at my lowest.

I try to detach from the scale, but it's hard!

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

momsy55
on 7/24/12 11:00 pm - ME
All of my appointments are late in the day and I'd prefer first thing in the morning.  But the program is an hour away from home and 1-1/2 hrs. from work, so I'd end up having to take more time off from work for the mornings, and also leaving my house very early, so I just suck up and take the later ones!  I have to admit, I've delayed lunch and not had many fluids for a few hours prior - both dumb, old behaviors that have the potential for getting me in trouble.  What lengths we go to to weight a few ounces or couple of lbs less!

HW (recorded) 323  Start of Journey 298.9  SW 263.6  CW 177.8  GW 180 

mizvicky
on 7/24/12 10:38 pm - MO
VSG on 08/07/12
Obsessive behavior is such a common trait for us obese people. That's what this sounds like to me. At some point you have to take control and overcome these behaviors. Put the scale where you can't see it. Pick one day a week to weigh yourself and resist the urge to weigh yourself compulsively. 
You can totally do this. A lot of people end up in counselling of some kind after WLS for behaviors such as this and it really helps. Good luck to you. Hugs and prayers.
Landrymarie
on 7/24/12 10:48 pm - VT
We always weigh less in the morning.... that is why I always weigh myself at night that way no matter what time I weigh in at the doctors it is easier.  :-)

jenngirl
on 7/25/12 1:59 am
VSG on 06/25/12
That makes total sense!
califsleevin
on 7/25/12 12:49 am - CA
As long as your appointments are consistently during the same part of the day, things will be fine. If you are always five pounds heavier in the evening, then the evening weigh-ins will still reflect your losses. There may be some day to day fluctuations on how much you gain during the day, but things will be close enough.

I always weigh in the mornings as that is the most consistent physical state for my body - dehydrated from overnight sleep and (usually) freshly emptied of accumulated waste products - but then I weigh in the late afternoon when I'm fully hydrated to get a more accurate reading of my body composition measurments (as the body comp scales are actually measuring hydration thru impedance and deriving the body fat and muscle mass from that.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 80 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 295 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 344 views