My goal compared to theirs??????

autumnnc
on 7/24/12 6:31 am
VSG on 07/03/12
So here's the thing and it has been on my mind....at my second nutrition meeting I was given the goal the Dr.'s feel I will get to with my new sleeve. When I saw it I was like WHAT??? I mean I am glad it is lower than my current weight BUT I was expecting a much lower goal......Their goal for me is 289. I know this is a statistic based on percentage. My thoughts and questions are is it possible for me to go lower than that with the sleeve? I would like to get to 180......my original weight was 508. I have already lost 58 pounds. Is there anyone out there that has been around my weight who superceded 289???? Would love to hear from folks!!! Peace, Joni

wufnu
on 7/24/12 6:48 am - Kingston, TN
VSG on 07/03/12
 There are people that have gone from your weight to 180 without surgery at all so I'm sure it's possible.  It will take extra effort on your part.  I can understand your surgeon, though.  He's using statistics, as you said, which would mean he thinks it highly unlikely unless you're an outlier.  If you want to be 180, you have to be an outlier.  That means extraordinary.  Extraordinary effort, extraordinary strictness, and extraordinary willpower.  I think you can do it, if you want it enough  

The exercise and diet will be the easy part; the head part will be hard.  If you get to 289 and haven't figured out how to win the mind game, you may not lose more.  

I've lost a lot of weight in my day but every time I lost the mind game.  Near 300 lbs I could run for miles.  I literally exercised, sometimes (not often), near 6 hours a day.  I ate healthy foods.  I lost the mind game and got nowhere.  I was not an outlier.  Do you want it?  You can do it; prepare yourself.  

In_It_To_Lose_It
on 7/24/12 8:35 am - MI
I think it's wise to set hopeful but also realistic goals one at a time.  For me, setting goals in chunks makes the overall numbers not so overwhelming.  Not that they are any less of a goal, but it makes it easier for me to think about and not get discouraged over when I've lost weight, but still have had so far to go.  Do everything you can and go for it, regardless of what their numbers are versus your numbers.  You'll get there!

sleevegirl
on 7/24/12 10:05 am - Austin, TX
My surgeon's original goal was 250. I'm at 207. I started at 375. I think you can do anything you put your mind to. But you gotta want it and you gotta want it bad enough to follow the rules and work your butt off.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Asiamay
on 7/25/12 5:53 am - Simcoe, Canada
I started at 498lbs and am at 308.  It has been 17 months and I am still working at it, but the weight lose has sure slowed downed.  The Dr. did now give me a goal!  However I set a coal for myself at 275 -280, and I hope to achieve that, thou it may take a little more time than I like.  Just keep in mind that every day your a little stronger and a little healthier than the day before.  Hope this helped.
moonglo82
on 7/25/12 8:48 am
VSG on 03/29/12
My husband started at 420 and now is at 220, and he's still losing. His goal is to get to under 200, and I foresee him changing that goal once he gets there (or not... either way!).

You're already doing great! The loss will slow when you get further out, so you'll have to be diligent and determined, but you can do this. Keep up the great work!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

happyteacher
on 7/25/12 12:03 pm
 Look up Jimbo on the site- he lost over 300.  Acbrown is around 225 or so right now and still chugging along strong.  It can be done :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 145 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 420 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 439 views