Iron infusions

lmf1964
on 7/26/12 5:23 am - MI
VSG on 03/28/12
I am now anemic and will be starting iron infusions next week.  Anyone ever had these before?  What should I expect?

"Some day I WILL be a beautiful butterfly" - Heimlich from 'Bugs Life'     
Marie M.
on 7/26/12 5:35 am - PA
I've been on this OH forum for over a year and you are the first VSGer I've ever heard of needing this.  I know this is very common with bypass patients.  Were you taking iron postop?

Age: 50    Ht: 5' 3.5"    SW: 261   BMI: 45.5    CW: 119.4   BMI: 20.8   Goal in 9.5 months   (23.6  lbs below goal)   Total lost:  141.6 lbs   Inches lost:  84.25"
  Month one: 22.2 lbs;  Month 2:  17.4 lbs;   Month 3: 11 lbs;  Month 4: 13 lbs;  Month 5: 11.4 lbs;  Month 6: 9.2 lbs;   Month 7: 13.2 lbs;  Month 8: 9 lbs;  Month 9: 10.2 lbs;   Month 10:  3.6 lbs:   Month 11:   7.6 lbs   Month 12:  5.8 lbs                                    

loverofcats
on 7/26/12 5:54 am, edited 7/26/12 5:57 am
I received iron infusions during my 3rd post-op month. I was anemic and needed some iron infusions. They helped to bring my iron back up to normal levels. The anemia was related the VSG and some internal bleeding issues that I had, as a result of the surgery. The infusions themselves were painless. The Veneflor (sp) was given via IV and took about one hour. I was in an Infusion clinic, in a very comfortable recliner. The entire experience was very relaxing. I needed 4 infusions, over a period of 4 weeks.

Anemia can occur post-VSG, due to decreased intake, and this is one of the reasons, for having our labs monitored on a regular basis.

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

emelar
on 7/26/12 6:00 am - TX
I've had anemia on and off pre-op.  Post-op, I don't seem to be able to get the numbers up in the normal range.  My ferritin levels are great; my serum iron is in the tank.  I've gone through the various carbonyl irons, heme iron, and prescription iron pills.  I felt like the prescription iron pills were working, but my legs and feet were swelling like an elephant's as a side effect - just like me to have one of those "this almost never happens" side effects.

So I'm back to the heme iron (proferrin and bifera) to see if anything improves, but I suspect I'm heading for an infusion as well.  Hopefully, if I can get it up to normal, it'll stay there!

According to my PCP, infusions are no big deal and she wondered why my bariatric folks were delaying doing it.  But I don't know details about what's involved.  I'm happy to hear that it doesn't sound too complicated!
loverofcats
on 7/26/12 6:40 am
Can't your PCP order the infusions? My PCP ordered mine.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

emelar
on 7/26/12 6:45 am - TX
Yes she can. It's only the last draw that they had dropped to what I consider to be alarming. I'm waiting for my regular PCP to get back into town to talk to her about it. 
lmf1964
on 7/26/12 7:33 am - MI
VSG on 03/28/12
Thanks all for your comments.  I have had low iron for as long as I can remember (30 years or so).  I took iron supplements before, during and after surgery.  About 6 weeks after surgery I started a very heavy bleed which helped put me into the anemic stage.  In addition not consuming as much food hasn't helped.  Now that I have had my hysterectomy, the source of the bleed is gone, so I am hoping the infusions will get me feeling normal again.

I have had 2 friends that both had VSG 3 years ago and both needed iron infusions as well.  Just depends how well you absorb it plus taking a pill takes much longer to absorb into your system.

"Some day I WILL be a beautiful butterfly" - Heimlich from 'Bugs Life'