Munchies

AdeanaMarie
on 7/27/12 4:03 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Wow, today is my first real struggle with wanting to munch.  Not sure if it is because it is cloudy, a certain time of month or bad habits coming back.  Could be all the above I guess.  Need to nip it.  One thing my nutritionist said was that grazing is one of the worst habits that puts weight back on sleevers.  It is never really about eating a huge volume again all at once, but it can be about grazing all day long.  Today I think I have snacked every two hours.  Mind you, I am keeping track of protein and calories, but I sure do not want to fuel these munchies any further.  So from this point on, I am waiting 4 hours before my next meal which will be dinner, since I have powered through breakfast, lunch and my three snacks already today.   Time to work on fluids for the rest of the day!

Anyone else struggling with munchies?  Any tricks you have learned to avoid the pitfall?

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

moonglo82
on 7/27/12 4:11 am
VSG on 03/29/12
It's great that you've realized what you're doing and nipped it before it became a habit again.

Having said that, I eat every 2.5-3 hours anyways. I don't call anything a "snack." Calling it a snack, in my mind, would lead me to grazing. If I think of everything as a smaller meal, I focus on having about the same amount of calories and protein at eat interval, and that tides me over to the next one, as long as I'm focusing on getting my water in between them.

I know that some nuts don't want us eating that often, but it works for me as long as I actually focus on getting in the right amounts of everything at each meal.

You got this!

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

AdeanaMarie
on 7/27/12 4:18 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
I usually do try and eat mini meals, focusing on protein each one, but I see what you mean about calling them snacks. That is what they have felt like today, snacks. I think I need to start making "meals" as well. Meaning right now, a meal is a 2oz beef patty and pea pods, usually cold. I think I need to start making some stir fries and meat and veggies that can be warmed and feel more like a meal. I do not like to cook, but I think I need to add some variety. I think I will make up a chicken and broccoli stir fry this weekend and put some meals in the freezer. My nutritionist does encourage eating 5-6 small meals a day, so that is what I was trying to do, but perhaps focusing too much on some being snacks and some being meals.

Thanks for the thoughts!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/27/12 4:45 am
This is the thing I probably struggle with the most in maintenance. I can easily consume lots of extra calories by grazing all day. I really have to watch myself and keep this in check. You are right to recognize the behavior and try to put a stop to it. Once it becomes a more regular thing, it'll be a habit... a hard one to break!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

AdeanaMarie
on 7/27/12 5:10 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Well, I think I am finally paying for my munchies today. My side hurts and I feel icky. I am guessing it is side effects from not drinking my fluids and eating too much, too fast. Just hoping I learn the lessons and do not pu**** further. So easy to fall back into old habits. I have been toying with going to a support group at my surgeon's office on Monday nights. I think it is time I start implementing that or at least seeing what it is like. Accountability and encouragement may be in order.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 167 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 442 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views