Tears of joy - size 12

LISA C.
on 7/29/12 8:28 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
I am a slow loser, having lost 53 pounds since my surgery on 2/22.

However, I decided from the start that I would change my lifestyle in ways that I knew I could maintain forever.  So I am less strict with my program than some others here, and that's okay.  We all have to find what works for us.

I'd like to share a HUGE moment in my life with my fellow VSGers.  Today I walked into Sears, tried on some clothes, and found that I fit into a size 12 pants.  SIZE 12.  I haven't worn a size 12 since I got married in 1997.  I cried and then I called my mom - from the fitting room on my cell - and we cried together :) 

I was the person who HATED clothes and shoes.  I would buy 7 pairs of black knit pants with elastic waist and that's what I wore, day in and day out.  I hated shopping for clothes and shoes because I couldn't ever find anything that fit or looked nice.  

Now, I LOVE clothes, shoes, and jewelry.  I've even started wearing lipstick :)  I am coming out of my self-imposed shell of the past 15 years and enjoying life like never before.  I actually have to make myself stop buying clothes and shoes now because I'm hurting our family budget by overspending.   

It is so liberating and FUN to walk into any store and find clothes that fit me and look nice!  My style is evolving and I'm having so much fun with clothes and shoes.  Macy's is my new favorite store :)  

I have 25-30 pounds to go to goal and I know I will get there.  I'll get there slower than others but that's okay.  I wil make it.  I am so grateful that I had the guts to get sleeved, and I'm so very grateful for the support of my family, friends, and the people on this forum who have been there, done that, and are so willing to offer advice, encouragement, and a swift kick in the butt when it's needed.

I am 41 and feel like my whole life is opening up in ways I couldn't have imagined. Wow, what a difference five months make!

thanks for being there and letting me share my incredibly rewarding day!  

full-of-hopen
on 7/29/12 8:31 am
Congratulations and thanks for sharing....it must feel so very good to try on something and know it will fit and feel good on!!!

HW: 248 Consult Wt: 245 Surgery WT: 225 (VSG 7-25-12) Goal Wt: 135  (5-15-13)               Current Wt: 125

M 1: 18   M 2: 13  M3:  9  M4: 10  M5: 8  M6: 8  M7: 8  M8: 6  M9: 6  M10:  6  M11:  3  M12: 2 M13:  2  M14:  1

LISA C.
on 7/29/12 9:09 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
nanadebbie57
on 7/29/12 8:44 am
VSG on 03/07/12
I'm right there with you, sister! It looks like our weight loss journey is almost the same! I'm not quite to a 12 yet -I'm still about a 16 (but that's a whole lot better than 22-24!) -I feel like my arms, chest, behind, and legs have shrunk a lot, but my belly is still the last to go! (which makes it hard to zip pants sometimes that fit everywhere else!) My sisters keep telling me I need to go bra-shopping -they have shrunk a lot, but are getting lower and lower (and flatter!) I guess I need to visit Victoria's Secret or something -I have almost never shopped there (except for gifts for others or my daughters!) I don't know if I feel comfortable in there yet...

LISA C.
on 7/29/12 9:08 am - NJ
VSG on 02/22/12
Congrats on your loss!  I hear ya, my belly is the last to go too!  I have discovered Spanx though :)  It's a wonderful thing! 

Funny you mentioned Victoria's Secret.  I went there last night to be fitted.  While the woman was very nice, I found that their bras really don't fit me well.  I measured at a 38 D. I bought a few and ended up taking all but one bra back today.  If you go there, try on lots of different bras because they all look and feel different.  I was a little disappointed; it seems their stuff runs pretty small.  I think I'm going to go to Macy's and be fitted there and see if I have more luck finding bras that fit me well there.

Let me know how you make out if you get to VS.... or try Macy's or any big department store that will have a big selection.

LilAllen80
on 7/29/12 12:55 pm
 Congrats hun!!! I know how you feel about clothes, I used to be the same way :(  now I am beginning to enjoy going clothes shopping for myself too. 

Keep it up   Slow and steady wins the race.

goingforit1
on 7/29/12 1:47 pm
VSG on 02/04/12 with
Honestly, you don't seem to be a slow loser to me. When you are starting as a lightweight, like I was, your loss sounds just right! Give yourself a little more credit, that is an amazing loss. I barely had my surgery just 2 wks before you and started close to your start weight and I've lost about 60 but that includes my week of preop liquids.

That size 12 was awesome for me too! I hadn't been a 12 since I had my first baby many moons ago! Hang on for the ride because I'm in size 9's now and I keep walking around thinking, "I can't believe I'm in a size 9." "A size NINE? Noway" (checking the tag!) "Yep, these small little size 9's fit GREAT!!!"

It's an amazing feeling. I need to lose another twenty pounds to be at a really healthy BMI and I don't know if that will make me like a size 6 or what? I just can't fathom it. Just so hard to wrap my mind around it!!!

Congrats to you!!!
nanadebbie57
on 7/30/12 12:44 am
VSG on 03/07/12
Thanks for your advice on Macy's and VS -I'm headed to Macy's today with some birthday gift cards! Hopefully I can find some bras that fit well enough to look right -give me some lift and stuff these flabby pancakes into! I don't really want to have any plastic surgery, but I'm starting to look like those African bush women from National Geographic! Oh well -they didn't have any good bras -thank goodness we don't go around topless! But even though everything is headed south -it was still worth it, for sure!

Most Active