Exercise Suggestions?

TRISH S.
on 8/1/12 2:49 am
VSG on 07/03/12
Ok, Im four weeks out and ready to start an exercise program. The problem is my knees hurt, and I have had surgery on one of them.

Any suggestions as to what I might do rather then walk. I am trying to wait until a bit more weight comes off so I don't make them worse.

loverofcats
on 8/1/12 3:01 am
swimming, elliptical, recumbent bike, rowing machine are good non-weight bearing exercises.
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

morgans
on 8/1/12 3:14 am
VSG on 06/18/12
 the rowing machine.

reneemosley
on 8/1/12 3:38 am - WA
VSG on 05/21/12
Swimming, water walking, weight training, Yoga. For me I have to do things I enjoy or it will not happen.
My gym offers classes for people with MS and senior classes. I take them and they offer "modifications" for the less flexible. It works and gets me there.
Do WHATEVER keeps you exercising regularly.

Band 5/2006          Revision to VSG 5/2012

rhearob
on 8/1/12 4:07 am - TN
 For Me, I just started with Walking.  Incorporate small walking trips into your daily routine.  For Example, instead of driving to the store to get something I would start walking to the store.  Start slow and work yourself up.  Even if you just start with a walk around your house or yard, thats good.  The thing is to push a little bit farther every day.  Get a pedometer like a fit bit, and keep track.  If you walk 1000 steps today, try for 1200 tomorrow, then 1400 the next day.

Don't start doing something crazy that you aren't ready for.  Low impact workouts like a pool or water aerobics could be good if you have access to a pool.

Work with Audrey, i.e. "Exercise Girl" at CMC.  She is a god send for doing things like this.  She has never steered me wrong.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Airpun79
on 8/1/12 4:18 am, edited 8/1/12 4:18 am - Jacksonville, FL
Great points from the previous posters! 

To piggyback off of some of them...I simply just began walking around the block in the neighbor the 1st day post op. I then I increased it to 1 mile and I'm now up to 3 miles daily.  I know you said you couldn't walk but I just wanted to give an example. I think going to the gym and using the non-weight-bearing machines are an excellent idea as well as the walking in the pool. Both are great to reduce stree/tension on the lower joints.  My doctor told to not worry about high impact activities for a while so I'm listening but I can't wait.

I also found this to be a very helpfu activity/exercisel...if you need to go to the grocery store or any public place, park a little further each time. I also walk around the grocery store a few times before I begin my shopping. It seems like things like this can help out a great deal.  I used to dread walking anywhere and now I look forward to it.

Take care and good luck! -Larry

HW: 360      SW: 351             CW: 212         GOAL: 200 
Monthly Weight Loss Progression:
M1:-46 M2:-24 M3:-14 M4:-17 M5:-9 M6:-13 M7:-7 M8:-5  M9:-1 M10:-3 M11:-8 M12: -10

happyteacher
on 8/1/12 6:25 am
 A friend here on Oh has rhumatoid arthritis.  Our hospital support group suggested to her a class offered at the hosptial gym that was done in the water and geared toward arthritis patients.  I believe it went really well for her.

I use the elliptical a lot.  I have a weird allergy to vibration so any type of impact requires me to take antihistimines.  Even drugged, higher impact causes problems.  On the elliptical is is super duper easy on the joints.  I blew a knee out a few years back skiing, and it doesn't bother the knee at all.  it also burns a boatload of calories too!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views