Success is more than just the number on the scale

Ms. Poker Face
on 7/31/12 7:31 am
I want to post a glaring example of how our success is so much more than the number on the scale.  We tend to be very scale focused because it is such a concrete reminder of where we're at in this journey.  But I want to share some additional ways to measure success.

I had VSG in June 2011.  I reached my surgeon's goal in 8 months and my goal in 10 months (100 pounds lost!)!  But along the way I gained so much more than just a lighter body.  I fully embraced the changes in my lifestyle.  I make much better choices food-wise about 90% of the time, I took on an ambitious exercise program (running and now strength training too), and I'm working on the mental side of things with a therapist.  Any one of these things on their own would not have gotten me to this point... it's the special combination of the three that have truly helped me.

So today as I am a little down because the scale is up a few pounds (most likely due to a weight training program I started a month ago), I realized that there are lots of numbers to measure success. 

I have to get an annual health assessment at work to qualify for insurance.  If you score well enough, you can earn discounts on your health insurance premium.  When I joined my current employer several years ago, I scored really poorly.  I earned ZERO discount.  But, this year, I earned the full discount and was 3 points shy of a perfect score!  How awesome is that.  Here's a "then and now" look at those numbers:

THEN                            NOW
waist                          43"                             30"
hips                           51"                              39"
body fat                     54%                             25%
cholesterol               224                              170
LDL (bad) chol         138                             82
HDL (good) chol      47                                76
Triglycerides              218                             59 (WOW!!)

The only category I lost points in was body fat.  I need to be 24 or below to score the full points.  There's always next year!!!

So, the point is, look at all the areas where you are succeeding!  And remember that this is a journey that doesn't end when we hit goal.  Between the time I hit goal and now, I have lost an additional inch off my waist and two off my hips.  My cholesterol numbers have improved as well.  And my cardiovascular fitness is greatly increased!  And here I was, a little bummed about being up a few pounds from weight training.  Someone slap me!!  :)

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Shagdoll
on 7/31/12 7:36 am
I always love your posts Ms. Poker Face. Thank you for reminding me of this. We are the same height & I see similarities with you & I so you are someone that I look up to. Thanks again for being so awesome!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

(deactivated member)
on 7/31/12 7:37 am
What a great perspective and phenomenal success.  You are the definition of a VSG success story.  Thank you for sharing this.
Citykitty
on 7/31/12 7:47 am - Sydney, Canada
Ms. Poker Face,

What an inspiring story.  congrats - you give the rest of us hope for tomorrow.

Thank you & keep up the great work

loverofcats
on 7/31/12 7:47 am, edited 7/30/12 7:48 pm
Congratulations on your resounding success!! What a wonderful example of what true success means and what it looks like. You are healthier and more active, and all your hard work is showing itself, in the numbers that really count. The number on the scale is just a number (note to self) and really doesn't reflect true health and the things that are really important.

Kudos to you!!!

gail
     "          
 LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat

acbbrown
on 7/31/12 8:02 am - Granada Hills, CA

Wisdom for the day : the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, love or strength.

All numbers aside - you have completely transformed your life and that is the definition of success. It's so great to have such wonderful role models and inspiration here!! Thank you!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

starry957
on 7/31/12 8:55 am
love it!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Shagdoll
on 7/31/12 9:05 am
On July 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM Pacific Time, acbbrown wrote:

Wisdom for the day : the scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, love or strength.

All numbers aside - you have completely transformed your life and that is the definition of success. It's so great to have such wonderful role models and inspiration here!! Thank you!

Alison, I just love that!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Ms. Poker Face
on 8/1/12 12:21 am

Wow, I love this... powerful words with so much truth in them!!!!

5'5"    Goal reached, but fighting regain.  Back to Basics.
Start Weight 246    Goal Weight 160    Current Weight 183

Starting size: 22, 2x
Current size: 12, L

Could_It_Be
on 7/31/12 8:14 am

VSG on 6/22/11
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views