Suggestions for quick REAL food!!! ???

hwag5149
on 8/2/12 2:08 pm
Ok I've been falling off. I need some great suggestions for QUICK foods and meals that take almost no prep time. I CAN'T cook at all. I saw a sandwich wrapped in lettuce. THat was a good idea. I saw a taco salad that I think I'm going to turn into a burrito (microwaveabe items), I can do BLT wraps even though I have to cook the turkey bacon... I can do an over easy egg on top of turkey sausage and cheese... cheese and eggs alone... I don't know what else that takes less than 5 minutes to take to make... not a lot of cutting veggies...

What are your favorite 5 second meals???

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Shagdoll
on 8/2/12 2:18 pm
I love Fresh & Easy's frozen turkey meatballs. They warm up quick & taste great. Alison got me to try these Bumble Bee tuna creations in the Thai flavor. So yummy!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

acbbrown
on 8/2/12 2:23 pm - Granada Hills, CA
I keep pre-measured sandwich baggies with deli meat/cheese in them so I can just grab one whenever and know exactly how much im eating. Sometimes I throw them on 1/2 sandwich thin, usually just eat the meat/cheese.

Most of my food I prepare on Sundays so I always have a fridge full of little protein meals/snacks. It does suck to spend 2 hours in the kitchen on Sunday, but considering it's two hours for my whole week, it's a worthwhile investment in my health and plan for the week.

I bought these chicken skewers from Vons and threw them on the skillet, cooked them for 12-15 min, and sliced them up into 2oz portions and put them in the fridge and it's under 5 seconds to grab from the fridge.

I get frozen talapia that is high protein and cook time is 2 min or so.
Canadian bacon slices with a little pizza sauce and cheese -2 minutes tops.
If i were absolutely dead set against not cooking, I guess I'd find a really good restaurant that serves good chicken/beef and order 1-2 and take it home and split it up in little portions and store for the week.
Turkey meatballs are good - I usually get ones that are 1 oz each.
Morningstar burgers are awesome. Turkey burgers could work - cook time is not much.
They make a lot of pre-packaged chicken breast strips you could work with - either fresh or frozen.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Krazydoglady
on 8/2/12 2:29 pm - FL

My supermarket sells rotissery chickens hot. If they don't sell, they sell them cold the next day for a discount. They are a goldmine for meals.  Cut off 3oz, heat it in the microwave, heat a steam-in-bag individual serving of veggies, and you have a meal.  Chop some up to put over salad, etc. 

I will usually cut-up the meat (without skin) from the whole chicken and make chicken salad.  Basic recipe chicken, mayo (can be light, i sometimes substitute some greek yogurt), 1/2 a small onion, some diced celery, lots of pepper, some dill, maybe some lemon juice for zing.   Put it in the ice box, and scoop out 1/2 cup for a meal in 20 seconds.  It takes me about 10 minutes to pick apart a chicken and put together a chicken salad.

Other things to try are Starkist Tuna Lunch kits.  I sometimes just have baby-bel cheese and hummus as a meal, but then I'm pretty easy to feed.

Hope that helps!

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

Linda B.
on 8/2/12 2:38 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
I use the crockpot & the freezer for days when we can't cook. I will make a batch of chili & freeze it in small freezer containers for days when we need a quick lunch. I also use bison (buffalo) stew meat 1 pound, that I make a recipe I call beans & bison. First, brown that with a medium onion. Put it in the crockpot and wait unit morning. meanwhile, soak 1/2 pound ot a pound of your favorite beans overnight (I use heirloom beans). The next moring, rinse beans and add to bison, cover with 32 ounces of beef broth. Cook on low until beans are tender. This also freezes well. The eggface blog is another great way to find food ideas.
Feystorm
on 8/2/12 2:52 pm - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I also buy a rotisserie chicken and divide it into baggies - some I freeze, some I just put in the fridge.  

Costco has a wealth of things:

1. Pick up the value pack ziploc bags - you'll go thru them lol
2. Costco Lime Shrimp - I freeze 2oz bags - pull them out as needed 
3. Roasted Turkey Breast - again 2oz bags - freeze.  By lunch they are thawed.  You can eat as cold cuts - or you can microwave for a warm meal.
4. Pulled Pork - I don't remember the brands - some are heavy carbs - some aren't.  
5. Pork roast - Make it in the crockpot on Sunday - separate in bags. 

I got the cooking a lot on Sunday idea from one of Allyson's earlier posts.  I make a lot of meals/snacks/etc on that day and then I have a ton of grab an go for the week.

Protein Pudding pops are my fav lately - but they don't travel well lol

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

prevsgcrys
on 8/2/12 3:25 pm - OH
My quick go to things are..I make up an entire pack of Johnsenville Brown Sugar Sausage Links a head of time... keep em in the fridge and eat 2 of them with 1/4 cup egg beaters..I can warm em up in 45 sec.. and that egg beaters dont take long to cook

1 ounce of cheese and some almonds
if I am in a hurry I will heat up my kids chicken nuggets and pick off as much breading as I can

lunch meat with cheese and pickle

I have been eating less lately as I am addicted to iced coffee and I am drinking copious amounts

rotisarre chicken good too

I am down 103 pounds ..how are u doin?
acbbrown
on 8/2/12 3:37 pm - Granada Hills, CA
There's going to be a whole support group dedicated to post WLS patients addicted to iced cofee - i'm thinking maybe between the iced coffees and the mint cookie protein shakes - we might make the media with a whole new list of transfer addictions to watch for!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

itzmetinab
on 8/3/12 8:40 am - WV
VSG on 07/16/12
 Tell me about these iced coffees!  I used to love frappe's and frozen coffee drinks...but they were loaded with sugar / calories!  Are there better options I don't know about???  Excited :-)
morgans
on 8/3/12 8:43 am
VSG on 06/18/12

I want to buy the mint cook protein shake, but I don't.....

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views