When will the food addiction end?

red42897
on 8/3/12 1:41 am
VSG on 08/20/12
 I am just over 2 weeks away from surgery and (knowing I can be honest here) I realize I am grieving in a small way my ability to be able to eat like the overeater that I am.  I know that food is something that I have relied on for such a long time to relieve bordom, celebrate, socialize, relate to.

I do very much hope that at some point food and I can have a healthy relationship because I don't believe food is evil, and I do believe that it brings people together and does have a lot of tradition involved, etc. But I guess I am just pondering the idea that my life is really going to be changed. 

What have some of you seen happen?  What fills the void? I love God and have known that I have put food ahead of Him in the past so I know that He will replace the void, I just know there will be boredom moments if that makes sense?  Sorry this was a little longer than I expected. 

HW:280 SW: 259 CW: 181.2

michellemj
on 8/3/12 1:55 am
Honestly, for some, it doesn't. What fills the void? For some, it's unhealthy habits like alcohol or drugs. For others, it is exercise or shopping. It's called transfer addiction and it can be devastating.

So, I highly encourage you to seek therapy now to develop healthier happens and a new relationship with food.

Good luck!

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Shagdoll
on 8/3/12 1:55 am, edited 8/3/12 1:57 am
I was afraid to give up food too. I have learned to enjoy the smaller portions of food now. It took some readjustment in the beginning. When I started on purée foods & only being able to eat 2 spoonfuls, it kinda freaked me out but as time goes on, we can definitely eat more. I'm 2 weeks shy of 1 year post op & I feel like I can eat pretty normal. Of course the portions are way smaller than before but I like not being able to eat a huge amount of food.
I'm not sure how to answer how I've dealt with that. I can say that losing 115 pounds & looking like a totally different person than I did last year helps me cope. Don't get me wrong, I still have food demons like everyone else. I just try to distract myself in other ways or grab a water bottle when I feel head hunger setting in. Thank gawd for my daily iced coffees & protein shakes too. Those 2 things right there definitely help me with my sweet tooth.
Best of luck to you in your journey. We are here to support you!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

julyxo84
on 8/3/12 2:07 am - Pembroke Pines, FL
 im over a year and a half out and i deal with food addiction every single day. it sucks!
 [ Hi, I'm stefanie, I'm 28 years old and 5'3'' ]

Pat H.
on 8/3/12 2:35 am
Sorry to say - the food addiction doesn't go away. In addition to the great suggestions already made, plan now on how you plan to eat and think after surgery. Even while you are losing weight you are setting the pattern for how to maintain your loss. I saw a quote on Sparkpeople yesterday from an Olympian, Samantha Clayton. She was talking about how Olympians eat and train. It resonated with me - "Approach every meal with the end goal in mind". I am maintaining now and looking for ways to sustain my weight loss. I still exercise every day, now I weigh every day, track everything I eat and have my list of instructions. Just like I did before I had my surgery, I have my list of things to do to be successful. Focus on what you will do and less on what you can't do any more. Hope this helps and good luck with your journey!

SW - 234.5  GW - 140.5   Met Goal on 5/7/12  

MuttLover
on 8/3/12 2:52 am
VSG on 11/14/12
Thanks for that quote!  I'm pretty sure (based on previous experience) that the food addiction will never go away.  I will always crave things in quantities that are not healthy. 

I think Samantha's quote is great -- if we can look at every piece of food we eat and think seriously about how it will affect us, that could help us avoid some bad choices!
AdeanaMarie
on 8/3/12 2:56 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12
Counseling helps, but it is a daily reminder to ourselves that we are not a slave to our addictions or to food. Renewing of our minds. Now that is a battle all by itself.

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

favrow812
on 8/3/12 2:56 am - Olathe, KS
VSG on 02/20/12
For me, the addiction has never ended, I've just learned how to take better control of it.

There is only one success--to be able to spend your life in your own way.

debk21
on 8/3/12 2:56 am - Mansfield, TX
Wow!  Loaded question.  I don't really think it ever ends...you just have to stay focused (staying on OH and keeping my head in the game really helps me to do this) and consider your goals before you put food in your mouth.  Weigh it, log it and keep tabs on where you are at any given point during the day.  You can't mindlessly munch anymore and this is really a good thing.  I like the way Pat put it, think of the things you CAN do, instead of what you cannot.  I CAN now run around the block.  I CAN paint the house.  I CAN weed the flower beds.  I CAN move furniture and get everything done that I need to do in a day without rest breaks and my energy level is through the roof!  (My daughter says I'm a "blur" since surgery) You'll find things you love to do that you never could before and that is the beauty of this journey - Enjoy it Honey, cuz it's a hell of a ride!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

bigpinkstork
on 8/3/12 3:03 am - NC
I was seeing a grief counselor already, dealing with the loss of a long-term boyfriend, when I decided to have VSG. The counselor readily saw that losing my old, best, most reliable friend, FOOD, was itself a loss, and she helped me grieve my way through it. 

If food has been the one, steady, "loving" constant in your life, it's very hard to leave it behind.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views