Has this happened to you?

Tea
on 8/4/12 1:15 am - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12
Hello all

About 4 days ago I started having this weird pinching pain on the right side area of my belly button, so after a few days it was really bothering me and I called my surgeon. He said he was sure it was an internal stitch and that it should go away in a couple of days. WELL yesterday I was bent over, pouring cat food in a bowl and suddenly I felt this POP, yes a pop. It didnt hurt, it was just very strange and startling. Since then that specific pain has been gone. As if I never had it in this first place. OK that was the first one!!

Now a few days ago I was eating some corned beef hash and I think I ate too much because I went from not feeling anything to feeling OH MY GOD I am full, like miserable full. Since then my tummy feels sore. Well yesterday it still felt a bit sore, but I had to eat, so I ate some some of a Hormel complete meals things, one with mashed potatoes and roast beef. The meat was very very soft and easy to chew to mush. After eating about half of it over about a period of an hour I felt miserable again. I DID not eat anything else yesterday, bc I felt full, bloated and just plain old bad. I think I was having bad gas pains yesterday too, i took 2 gas x strips, but it didnt do ****

chest feels a bit heavy, if you know what I mean, but not vomiting, no fever or any of the leak symptoms. I may be just freaking myself out.

Today is another day, belly still feels a bit tight/ sore-ish and I'm slowly sipping on a protein shake.

By the way I was sleeved on July 11th. Ok opinions and experience stories PLEASEEEEE

HW 311 - (pre opt liq diet 272) - SW 264 - CW 196- GW 150

Lovin my
SLEEVE

beckyinkc
on 8/4/12 1:35 am
VSG on 07/25/12
I wish the first one would happen to me!  That little spot is SO annoying!  I don't have anything else for you, though. :(  Sorry!  Maybe call the nurse at your surgeon's office?

(deactivated member)
on 8/4/12 1:44 am
 Okay, gonna be blunt.... Hash, roast beef & mashed potatoes..... Not the best choices from where I sit. 
Youre not even a month out. Those things are most likely for too heavy and dense for a healing sleeve to tolerate. At three to four weeks out I was still doing shakes 3 times a day and introducing soft foods like baked ricotta, 2 slices deli turkey, Greek yogurt, 1/2 a scrambled egg and extremely well blended chicken salad.
Also my portion sizes at 3 weeks out were 1/4 cup. That was it. It's not much, but it really does satisfy. You don't want to get full this early out. Like you now know, it hurts! 

Like Frisco says, "under eat your sleeve!"
Tea
on 8/4/12 1:52 am - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12
Thanks Kairk, I didnt think about those things being too heavy, I was thinking of them as being mush. I surely WILL NOT eat it anymore!!! Thanks for your input. :)

Lovin my
SLEEVE

guesswho11
on 8/4/12 3:43 am, edited 8/4/12 3:50 am
I agree that you need to really undereat your sleeve, but sometimes it takes time and some pain to learn those things.  Undereating helps you realize just how little food you actually need.  Mashed potatoes were allowed on my soft stage, and I went home from the hospital on mushies per my surgeons plan.  I did add protein protein powder to them though.

As for that annoying, persistant pain in that one single area, it took a full 3 weeks for that to go away after my surgery.  Good luck to you!
Italian-Princess
on 8/4/12 3:45 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Tea

I totally agree with Kairk.  Our new tummies are delicate and tender and not healed.  I'm 5 weeks out and I treat Myrtle with respect and kindness.  So far, she's treated me nicely -- no back talk, no foamies, no urping.  And I want to keep her tamed like this!  The concept of a pissed off sleeve makes me get the jibbering fidgets!

Not sure what happened with your pinchy navel thing.  I had an umbilical hernia repair at the same time I had my sleeve, so I get some pinches now and again at my incision sites for that -- one on each side of my navel.  As long as the problem is gone, I wouldn't worry about it.

Back to your sleeve -- I'm stunned that you are so far ahead of me in what you can eat.  I just started soft foods, but I don't eat too many of them yet.  I like my protein shakes and mushies much better -- and so does Myrtle.  My meals are at the most 1/4 cup -- anything more and I'd think it would cause upset.  I always under eat my sleeve.  I'd rather have to have a snack or two during the day than to feel miserable.  Curious -- are you still weighing/measuring your portions?

Each of us has our own plan and I'm sure you're following yours, so I'm not criticizing you at all.  I guess what I'm trying to do is remind you that you have a new tummy and it needs time to heal and become robust enough to have some of those foods you're trying now. 

Good luck.............I wish you all the best 

Ree
MargeAD
on 8/4/12 4:28 am - CA
 I love that you named you sleeve Myrtle!!!

Tea
on 8/4/12 5:16 am - Moore Haven, FL
VSG on 07/11/12
Hello Princess and myrtle :)

Thanks for your reply. I have been measuring, but on this specific meal I did not. I dont know what I was thinking. I have totally learned my lesson. I'm allowed to eat mashed potatoes, however I dont know about the hash, I just assumed I could because its real mushy. Regardless I wont eat it anymore. I am back to protein shakes only today. The whole hash incident and sore tummy has turned me off of food all together. :(

How long does it take you to eat your meals??? It takes me a long time to finish anything, rather its just a bottle of water or actual food.

Lovin my
SLEEVE

guesswho11
on 8/4/12 3:54 am
I forgot to add ****il Ree's post reminded me) I measured everything to the 1/4 cup...also per my surgeon's plan but most times, I wasn't able to eat that much for quite a long while.
Italian-Princess
on 8/4/12 6:26 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Oh Tea!

Don't let one oopsy turn you off of food.  We need to learn to get our protein from foods -- at least accomplishing that over the next month or two.  If you're talking for just a day or two, that's fine, but not as a habit.  I need at least one shake a day to ensure I get all my protein in.  I expect that will continue into the future.  I make a lot of them myself, but I keep a supply of Premier Protein Shakes on hand.  Since I've been allowed to go back to my fitness center in a limited way, I go at 5:00 a. m. and bring one of those RTDs with me in case I get to feeling a little weak while working out.  Most of the time, I wait until I'm back in my vehicle and then I have a few sips just to be on the safe side while I'm driving home.  No, I don't drink and drive LOL

How long does it take me to eat my meals?  Depends on what it is.  Protein shakes go down fairly easily -- maybe 15-20 minutes for those.  Water is something I don't think about -- my insulated cup is attached to my hip LOL  I just never stop sipping.  Regular food like my Italian turkey meatballs w/marinara sauce and tuna w/Greek yogurt and dill relish -- those meals take from 30-40 minutes.  Crab cakes take maybe 45 minutes.  The gloppier stuff takes less time.  I was always a "get it in and get on with life" eater -- volume eater, too, so I could pack it away FAST.  Now, I'm like a snail racing molasses in January -- SLOW SLOW SLOW  Did you play marbles as a kid?  OMG, I'm REALLY dating myself Hahahaha  -- anyway, the peewee marbles are about the size of the bites I take.  Pitiful, but it works and I now don't mind eating slowly because every bite tastes good and all the nuances of the herbs and spices I put into my food can be identified.

You're going to be fine -- you know what you need to do.  I'm sorry you had this to deal with, but maybe it's a blessing in disguise -- taking a day or two to let your tummy relax and not feel threatened by a lot of new stuff quickly isn't a bad thing.  The best part of this?   You learned a bit more about your new tiny tummy's personality!  And believe this -- those new critters in all of us definitely DO have personalities!

Hugs to you from

Ree and Myrtle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 163 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 438 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 458 views