Low blood pressure- Doctor told me to eat more calories-Long

Kabooboo
on 8/3/12 8:37 am
My blood pressure has been low the past 10 days or so. I went to my surgeon's office for my one month follow-up appt. on Monday and mentioned that I had been feeling light headed and  a little dizzy at times. My blood pressure was 90/52 when I was there and the nurse told me that would certainly explain being light headed. I was told to increase salt and go to my PCP if it didn't get better.
Well, the last 2 mornings my BP was 85/43. This morning I was feeling some heart palpitations also so I called m PCP's office. They wanted to see me today.
Of course, my own doctor wasn't in today so I saw a different doctor. My BP was better when I was there. His suggestion was that I needed to increase my calories. I am working the plan- 600-800 calories, 70+ protein, less than 40 carbs, and more than 64 ounces of fluid. He did also order blood work, which I don't have the results of yet.
Does anybody have experience with low blood pressure?  Could too low of calories explain it? I thought it was dehydration or too little salt that would cause it, not calories.
If I need to follow his advice, how can I get more calories in when I can only eat 1/4 cup at a time?
Since this doctor isn't a bariatric doctor, I am just not sure he is familiar with this surgery. I told him I am eating exactly what I was told to....
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

furrynana
on 8/3/12 8:45 am, edited 8/3/12 8:45 am
I've had low blood pressure most of my life.  When I got to my highest weight, it was normal.  I think the entire process of losing weight tends to drop your pressure, although yours is pretty low.  I was at 90/55 at my surgeon visit last week (down from 120/60 prior to surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago).  When I have felt particularly week and dizzy, I add in a tomato juice or V8 and drink non-diet gatorade  and that seems to help.  Good Luck.
Kabooboo
on 8/3/12 12:43 pm
Thanks for the suggestions!

Jackie00
on 8/3/12 8:53 am
No experience with the light headedness but I have low blood pressure. I had a doctor that told me to increase sodium as well as a friend, she said our bodies need it on such a reduced calorie intake it will help retain fluids and give our bodies more time to retain it. I thought she was crazy and I said no way I will retain fluids and she said so what, you go low sodium again for a few days and you lose it. She told me that ok so I am retaining fluids but it is water weight not fast etc.. I never really did this so I can't really comment other then what I was told. I bounced up four pounds this week which is crazy cause certainly not eating anything that would cause weight gain but some canned flakes of chicken so probably just the sodium in it. I have been lazy and wanted something different for my lunches, ooops but it is water weight and not concerned.
Sleeved 15-Sept-2011 HW 294 Pre op weight 285 SW 279 GW 145?
Pre op 6 lbs lost, M1 - 23 lbs M2 - 11 lbs M3 - 12 M4 - 6 M5 -10 M6 -10 M7 -7 M8 - 4 M9 - 4
M10- 4 M11 - 5 M12 - 0

Kabooboo
on 8/3/12 12:42 pm
I have been trying to eat saltier foods like chili, and I can tell I am retaining water. But I've actually lost 2 pounds this week, so that's a good thing when I am retaining water. Can't wait to see the scale when the water flushes out. :)

MuttLover
on 8/3/12 9:31 am
VSG on 11/14/12
 I have dizziness when I am taking blood pressure meds and my weight falls.  My doc took me off the meds when I started having lots of episodes, and that mostly did the trick.  (Unfortunately, weight's back and I'm back on meds -- I'm pre-op).

I crave pickles or salty foods in conjunction with these episodes, so I think there is a bit of "listen to your body"!  

But ALL of the time - I get out of the car or chair slowly.  Sitting for a long time seems to be the biggest trigger for me.  Your blood pressure can't "normalize" quickly enough, so you get dizzy.  

At work -- NP -- there is always a chair or a wall close by when I get up.  Sometimes I've taken a couple of steps when it hits, so my cube neighbors know not to worry if I suddenly appear and plop down in their guest chair for a couple of minutes!  

In the car -- this is trickier.  But I typically will just stand and lean against my own car for a couple of minutes - or grab hubby.  

Kabooboo
on 8/3/12 12:18 pm
I have already learned to get up slowly. I have been craving salty things (I've pondered just licking some potato chips!) so maybe there is something to that.

Italian-Princess
on 8/3/12 9:42 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12
Hi Sleeve Sis,

Sorry to hear about the BP problems.  Mine has always been low and it got worse for a while after surgery, but pretty well stabilized at 95/50-55.  When mine dropped, I was told to drink more water -- that fixed it for me.  Your blood work will probably be tested for your electrolyte balancing act-- sodium, potassium, magnesium and others.  Could be something out of whack in that.

I hope you start feeling better and the medical folks can get you fixed up quick!

Take care................

Ree
Kabooboo
on 8/3/12 12:15 pm
Thanks! I think I have been drinking enough water, but I am going to try to increase it anyway.

INgirl
on 8/3/12 10:40 am
Calories would have nothing to do with this, but electrolytes out of balance and dehydration would, did they pull labs? If not, get in there and make them do it pronto.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 461 views