6 months post op

Kevin H.
on 8/7/12 4:09 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
Hello Peeps!  Long time no see! 

I'm still here though .. trudging along.  I got the word some folks were wondering where I was and yesterday was my 6 month surgiversary so I updated my blog.  Here it is copied from my blog:

Well a lot has happened in the last 6 months.  My life has dramatically improved!  I have lost 115 or so pounds so far.  I have been on some kind of stall for the last 3 weeks or so where I have gone up and down (slowly creeping up more then down.)  I have not lost any weight for that time and have actually gained about 4 or 5 pounds.  I am loosing inches however around my waist.  Though I don't take my measurements, I can tell because my size 46 pants that I bought 3 weeks ago are now loose on me and looks like I can probably fit into a 44 now.  Not loosing any weight is very discouraging.  Though I have not been making great food choices lately, It still doesn't feel like I eat anywhere near what I used to.  I am trying to get back on track with eating on plan again. 

I have not been walking on the treadmill either.  Exercise always was quite a chore for me and I had to get very pumped up and motivated just to do it and put on headphones listening to music to get my mind off of the boredom of walking on the thing.  I know other people have lost all of their weight by never exercising a day in their life and I sure am jealous of that ha ha.  While I do have some interest in lifting weights, I really hate cardio workouts.

I have done well so far, though the last 3 weeks to a month I can feel some of my motivation slipping with some of the food choices I've made.  I can eat a little more then I used to and although I knew that would be the case, It is a bit more scary now that the time has arrived.  I'm still going to counseling however I'm not sure how much it is helping.  We spend most of the time talking about other issues going on rather then about food issues.

I'm still trudging along.  I'm not sure where my mind is right now.  I feel like I am making progress because my pants are too big on me now but the scale just isn't showing it.  I still have another 100 lbs to loose and I have never been on a stall or gained weight back for such a long period of time before.  I read about other people not loosing anything for 3 weeks but I never thought that would happen to me.  "Your a guy, the weight just falls off of you" people say on these forums.  I would have a 5 day stall, not 3 weeks. 

Part of what makes me log into these forums is getting to change my weight to see my ticker at the bottom of my posts.  The weight has gone up, not down and I have not wanted to come here to change my weight going in the wrong direction, up!  I'm giving up the nachos and cheese and going back to protein bars for snacks.  I have been eating a lot of MD steamed crabs.  I can eat about 3 crabs at a sitting.  I eat that once a day.  A dozen crabs is 4 days of meals for me.  Though crab meat is not bad, the Old Bay Seasoning has lots of salt in it and I'm thinking that might be why I'm loosing inches but not weight.  I take a fluid pill though so that should be helping out. 

Overall I'm very happy.  People compliment me all the time saying "Your shriveling away to nothing."  With the scale not moving for so long, I wish I could feel that way. 

Shagdoll
on 8/7/12 4:18 am
Glad to see you back Kevin. I will always be here to support & cheer you on. You are doing great. Just continue to stay focused & you will get there.
Luv ya!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Kevin H.
on 8/8/12 4:18 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Thanks Jenn .. that means a lot.  It feels good to be back on track and just eating right again for the last few days I'm already back to where I was when I started gaining a few pounds :)  Maybe my stall is breaking after all.  I hope so!

rhearob
on 8/7/12 4:26 am - TN
 It's funny you mention that.  I saew your photo on a post yesterday and wondered - How is Kevin Doing - His pic looks awesome.

You have done an awesome job man.  You may be facing some challenges right now, I feel you I surely do.  You know you can do this!  You have come to amazing realizations in that blog post - no its just follow through.

Posting that and facing that you may not have made some of the best choices takes an amazing amount of courage.  If I can step away from the potatoes, I know you can beat those Nachos!

We're all here to help if you need it.  We're not here to just celebrate your victories but ti help you over the rough spots too.

I have had times where teh scale went up.  It can be a crushing feeling.  Just know you have it in your power to get back on plan and the scale will go down again.  It always did for me and I know it will for you too.  

Welcome back.  Reach out whenever you need to.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kevin H.
on 8/8/12 4:21 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Thanks Rob, that means a lot.  

I went to see Spider-man and got some nachos and cheese for the movie.  I couldn't eat the whole thing naturally but they were so good he he.

Then I went to see Batman and I got them again.  Then at the grocery store I though, wow those nachos were good so i got a bag at the store and some cheese sauce to dip them in.  Crazy how quickly bad habits can resurface, especially when your in a stall and not feeling great about your progress.  I'm back on track now thanks to you guys reminding me of what i need to do.

It is appreciated.

rhearob
on 8/8/12 4:37 am - TN
 Oh trust me , I understand that feeling.  LAst night I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  I had the calories in my plan.  I had over 100 grams of protein in plan.  It was going to be a heavy afternoon of exercise.  I figured if any time was the time to try it - that was it.  I made it with PB2 and sugare free jelly.  190 calories.

I was hungry the rest of the night.  That sandwich went down WAY TOO EASY.  Sleeve?  Restriction?  As far as I felt after eating that sandwich - I never had surgery.  I don't know if it was the sweetness, an old addiction to peanut butter, or what.  I didn't want to do anything but eat for the rest of the night.

Well, I tried it and now I know.  I stayed accountable and on plan, even though I made a less than optimal choice.  We've all been there.  YOu have come a long way, I know you'll get where you want to be.  I believe in you.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/12 4:37 am
Hey Kevin,
Nice to see you're back on OH. Was wondering where you'd been.

Sounds like you've had some really good realizations about your weight loss journey and food choices. That's great, really!!!!

Clearly, you know what to do to lose weight or there is no way you'd be as successful as you have already been. My hunger and capacity became larger somewhere during the 4 to 5 month period. I had to put a little more mental effort into my weight loss plan to be successful, so I hear you completely.

If you need anything -  help, cheering on, food ideas, sample menus, etc... let us know. I know you and I are similar height and build, so anything I can offer just let me know. I'm happy to help out.
Kevin H.
on 8/8/12 4:35 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Thanks so much.  It's great knowing there are people to turn to when things are not going as well as you would like :)

Wildcat-NYC
on 8/7/12 4:38 am
VSG on 08/16/12
Great to see a post from you!  Sorry that you are struggling.  I have no doubt that you can lose those last 100 lbs.  Good luck and don't stay away for so long!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Kevin H.
on 8/8/12 4:39 am - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12
 Things are going better now .. just goes to show that staying away from OH isnt a good idea.  Thanks for the comments :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views